IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Should/Can my alignment be off after getting 4 new tires??

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-15, 03:17 PM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Should/Can my alignment be off after getting 4 new tires??

I just left DT with a full set of new Michelin PSSs and my car now pulls right. WTF?
Old 01-21-15, 03:25 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 77 Posts

I would think so. I'm trying to get an alignment today since I have a new set of Bridgestones S04's on the F. F hasn't felt the same with the new tires... getting slight vibrations, but my car doesn't pull as hard to the right as it did with the Michelins.
Old 01-21-15, 03:33 PM
melbitoast
Instructor

Already discovered the issue. They put a different tire on the front left; another Michelin with "Sport" on it. Easy mistake. Hopefully that's it.
Old 01-21-15, 03:50 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

hopefully it's not radial pull from one of the other tires. it's a pain trying to get the tire shop to deem the radial 'pulling' tire defective so they can give you a new tire. been down that path when i got two new tires in the front only and suddenly, car started to pull to the left like crazy. the tire shop only deemed one of the two defective and agreed to swap it out at their cost. they should have replaced both the new tires bc my car still pulls slightly to the left. good luck.
Old 01-21-15, 10:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

My PSS are straight as an arrow but as a rule I always get an alignment right after I get new tires.
Old 01-22-15, 08:08 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

They corrected the error and even refunded my installation fees. I have not noticed any drifting or alignment issue since, but I may get an alignment done anyway b/c the camber is significant. I'd like to lessen it and extend the tire life.

Problem now, is there is a horrible rattle. It was instant as soon as I started to drive away. I did not go back b/c it was well after closing, but I'm going back today. I've got a feeling they may have accidentally knocked an exhaust clip or something loose when backing the car out. It wasn't there when I first left the shop, but it was instant when I left the 2nd time. I need to take it to a different shop that can accommodate me getting underneath the vehicle without a lift, like the Jiffy Lube down the street, to confirm my suspicion.
Old 01-22-15, 09:29 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by melbitoast
They corrected the error and even refunded my installation fees. I have not noticed any drifting or alignment issue since, but I may get an alignment done anyway b/c the camber is significant. I'd like to lessen it and extend the tire life.

Problem now, is there is a horrible rattle. It was instant as soon as I started to drive away. I did not go back b/c it was well after closing, but I'm going back today. I've got a feeling they may have accidentally knocked an exhaust clip or something loose when backing the car out. It wasn't there when I first left the shop, but it was instant when I left the 2nd time. I need to take it to a different shop that can accommodate me getting underneath the vehicle without a lift, like the Jiffy Lube down the street, to confirm my suspicion.
great news
Old 01-22-15, 11:33 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

I'd love to hear more opinions on this. I'm putting on new rubber come the Spring and I've never had a single alignment on any other car that I've been happy with. My F has yet to be aligned.
Old 01-22-15, 10:34 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

I will need to replace my rear tires in the spring. Now I'm a little nervous but it has to be done.I don't think it's as critical with the rears.Correct me if I'm wrong.
I've had an an alignment problem with my Bimer that no one solve. I think the frame/shock tower is the real problem.
Old 01-23-15, 09:31 AM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickna
I will need to replace my rear tires in the spring. Now I'm a little nervous but it has to be done.I don't think it's as critical with the rears.Correct me if I'm wrong.
I've had an an alignment problem with my Bimer that no one solve. I think the frame/shock tower is the real problem.
why nervous?
Old 01-23-15, 03:48 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by scamsel
why nervous?
Possible alignment problems as stated avove.
Old 01-24-15, 06:04 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadrphnia
I'd love to hear more opinions on this. I'm putting on new rubber come the Spring and I've never had a single alignment on any other car that I've been happy with. My F has yet to be aligned.
Generally you wouldn't need an alignment after a tire install. They don't actually touch your suspension setup so there should be no reason to have it done. It's like when you swap your summer rims for winter; take off wheels and slap back on.
Old 01-25-15, 12:38 PM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by j3ff
Generally you wouldn't need an alignment after a tire install. They don't actually touch your suspension setup so there should be no reason to have it done. It's like when you swap your summer rims for winter; take off wheels and slap back on.
this is true, however it never hurts to get it done just to make sure you wont have any issues with the new tires.
Old 01-25-15, 05:10 PM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

Theoretically and for the most part, when you get a tire change and the tires you change to are brand new you wouldn't need an alignment.

However a few situations I can think of that could change alignment:

1. If the last alignment you had was when you were on used tires, if the tires had uneven wear, the new alignment would be based on that which could mean slightly different specs.

2. Alignment parts on cars can shift or become loose overtime and change, especially if you drive spiritedly. You may require an adjustment after that.

3. If its a left or right pull, sometimes ball joints on the tie rod can get binded and continue to pull in the direction you last turned.

4. Varying Tire Pressures in tires can also cause a slight feeling of pulling too.

Hope these help!
Old 01-25-15, 06:52 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

The most important thing before getting any alignment is ensuring you have the correct pressures in the tires. If they differ, the alignment will not be correct. The good news (if you want to call it that) is, we can only adjust toe on our cars, so tire pressure isn't nearly as critical as it is on my Supra where we can adjust camber, caster, and toe on both front and rear.

And yes, it you got an alignment with unevenly worn tires, your alignment with all new tires will be off. So will corner weights (if you were hoping for neutral), but if you wanted the car to be predisposed to turning left or right, you're in the zone.

Quick Reply: Should/Can my alignment be off after getting 4 new tires??