IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Need opinions from current IS-F owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-15, 09:54 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

2010 differs from 08 in one way: LSD (and a few interior changes as well as 'flower wheels').
Anything more than a 2.5k difference is not merited, in my opinion.
2011 is another story.
If I had to choose, I'd take an '08 or a '13 (the 2013 received the final iteration of all performance oriented enhancements by Lexus).
Old 01-21-15, 04:37 AM
KLexus50
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDMV8
2010 differs from 08 in one way: LSD (and a few interior changes as well as 'flower wheels').
Anything more than a 2.5k difference is not merited, in my opinion.
2011 is another story.
If I had to choose, I'd take an '08 or a '13 (the 2013 received the final iteration of all performance oriented enhancements by Lexus).
To add to this, 2010 also have Lexus Enform (HD based navi). The interior changes were piano black trim and a blue strip of leather at the bottom of the steering wheel.
Old 01-21-15, 08:12 AM
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve P
I have owned my 2008 ISF since it was new in 2008. It just turned 30,000 miles. I love this car more than any other of the many cars I have ever owned... It has every option including dealer installed K-40 'stealth' front & rear radar detector (which I shut off years ago) and built in LOJACK. Is there any reason I shouldn't keep this car? In the last 7 years, I have only replaced the brakes, battery and wiper blades... Mobile One every 6K miles.. It's like a sexy girlfriend who never ages or says 'no' (G)
agree with this but i would say buy the newest you can afford.
Old 01-21-15, 08:27 AM
calteg
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zen
You can get extended/aftermarket warranty, but it may not be cheap. It's like health insurance, the older model year, the higher mileage would cost more to cover.
My drivetrain warranty covers me up to 180,000 miles and cost $1,000 through my credit union.

I'll be the voice of dissent and say OP should buy the newest one you can afford. The suspension changes alone are worth it, Lexus changed a staggering number of things on the '11+ cars that can't be replicated by just swapping shocks.
Old 01-21-15, 08:19 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zpletcher
I love driving this 2012 I got just 7 weeks ago on Black Friday!!
11K Miles... Immaculate it is.. Got my color I wanted for a year and a half.. Nebula Gray Pearl with Red Interior....I Love to drive it so much , My wife had to go over and hug my 66 Sting Ray Big Block Conv. and tell her she is sorry I have been neglecting her since I got the F.. Ha!!!
I now have a big dilemma... Which one to drive on Friday or Saturday to the Cruise night hang outs!!
Cheers, Zale
Zale,

If that Big Block 'Vette is a 4 speed car (I am assuming it is), it would be difficult for me to decide which one to drive at times!
Old 01-21-15, 11:09 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by KLexus50
To add to this, 2010 also have Lexus Enform (HD based navi). The interior changes were piano black trim and a blue strip of leather at the bottom of the steering wheel.
Don't forget the revised dome light assembly
Old 01-22-15, 04:39 AM
KLexus50
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDMV8
Don't forget the revised dome light assembly
That settles it in my book then. OP should get the 2010.
Old 01-22-15, 06:25 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

When looking to purchase my car I debated similar questions in my mind. Do I go for a cheaper 08 model or the more expensive newer car. I have never been afraid of driving older cars. In fact my cars on average are 7-8 years old when I purchase them. I always looked for the best bang for the buck when purchasing a car. Never bought a brand new car. I am also pretty good with fixing and maintaining cars so an '08 didn't really phase me. In the end however, I bought a 2012

There were a number of reasons I did this. First of all, I really wanted a new car (at least once in my life). I was actually thinking of a new IS350, but it just wasn't cutting it on the excitement front. Once I had realized that I was willing to commit to spending money on a new IS I realized that for that much money I could get a fairly new ISF. The real deal breaker for me in getting a newer F was that I was able to get it CPO from Lexus. The most important factor in the CPO deal was the fact that Lexus was offering incredible financing rates for CPO cars this past summer. Interest rates were as low as 1.9%, but the real kicker was that you could reduce the interest rate by 0.1% for every $1K down which means you could finance a 50K car with a 30K loan at 0% finance if you put 20K down. So in the end I got a car which was pretty much like new with 2 years remaining on full factory warranty as well as 4 years remaining on drivetrain.

I could have bought a cheaper 08 model or even '10 or '11 car but they would not have been CPO so I would not have gotten the financing from Lexus.
Old 01-22-15, 06:44 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by calteg
My drivetrain warranty covers me up to 180,000 miles and cost $1,000 through my credit union.

I'll be the voice of dissent and say OP should buy the newest one you can afford. The suspension changes alone are worth it, Lexus changed a staggering number of things on the '11+ cars that can't be replicated by just swapping shocks.
that's a good price for warranty via credit union, but does it cover anything else besides drivetrain ? Also, not everyone can be a member and the price varies depends on the union.
Old 01-22-15, 09:52 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by newgsman
When looking to purchase my car I debated similar questions in my mind. Do I go for a cheaper 08 model or the more expensive newer car. I have never been afraid of driving older cars. In fact my cars on average are 7-8 years old when I purchase them. I always looked for the best bang for the buck when purchasing a car. Never bought a brand new car. I am also pretty good with fixing and maintaining cars so an '08 didn't really phase me. In the end however, I bought a 2012

There were a number of reasons I did this. First of all, I really wanted a new car (at least once in my life). I was actually thinking of a new IS350, but it just wasn't cutting it on the excitement front. Once I had realized that I was willing to commit to spending money on a new IS I realized that for that much money I could get a fairly new ISF. The real deal breaker for me in getting a newer F was that I was able to get it CPO from Lexus. The most important factor in the CPO deal was the fact that Lexus was offering incredible financing rates for CPO cars this past summer. Interest rates were as low as 1.9%, but the real kicker was that you could reduce the interest rate by 0.1% for every $1K down which means you could finance a 50K car with a 30K loan at 0% finance if you put 20K down. So in the end I got a car which was pretty much like new with 2 years remaining on full factory warranty as well as 4 years remaining on drivetrain.

I could have bought a cheaper 08 model or even '10 or '11 car but they would not have been CPO so I would not have gotten the financing from Lexus.
I too am on the 1.9, but not 0.1% deduction for every 1k down payment. That was a great buy!
Old 01-22-15, 10:29 PM
zpletcher
Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by SoCalISF
Zale,

If that Big Block 'Vette is a 4 speed car (I am assuming it is), it would be difficult for me to decide which one to drive at times!
Ha!! Yes it is a 4 Speed.... Only way to go... Blast from the Past...

Just no warranty on it.. Makes you not want to break it.... Hee Hee
Old 01-23-15, 08:42 AM
Pole Position

Originally Posted by newgsman

had i known that i would have done the same thing, that was an awesome buy.