IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New brake pad option

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-15, 03:31 PM
lifethinkr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New brake pad option

After much debate and research. I wanted 4 things in a brake pad.
1. No Dust
2. Good Stopping Power
3. No Noise
4. Good Price. These were $79 for fronts and $29 for rears
some pads I researched had 1 or 2 of those qualities but not all 4.
I think I finally found what I was looking for. I say I "think" because i'm still in the break in period with these pads. but so far I'm happy for the price. Ive seen the wearever pads from Advanced. I actually wanted those, but they don't offer them in ceramic anymore. SO I went to autozone. Yes. That's right. I said autozone. I purchased their duralast gold pad.they are ceramic fronts and semi metallic rears. so far I'm extremely pleased with the pad. I didn't change the rotors. they feel very true. so I just ran my die grinder with a 3m scratching wheel over the rotor surfaces to remove the glazing and replaced the pads. Anyone that does a brake job on an F should also have some compressed air to blow away the brake dust. The holes in my rotors were chocked full of dust. Anyway here are the pads:

Last edited by lifethinkr; 01-19-15 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-19-15, 03:38 PM
Enough
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tip. Looking forward to your evaluation of their performance. Do you have the number for the rears?
Old 01-19-15, 03:51 PM
lifethinkr
Rookie

Heres the deal on the rears. I was told that the duralast gold are the same as the regular duralast pads so I bought the regular pads and I found this little note inside the box. So I got the duralast gold pads also

Old 01-19-15, 03:53 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Enough
Thanks for the tip. Looking forward to your evaluation of their performance. Do you have the number for the rears?
A lot of brake mfgrs use the same part id's...probably 1366 for the rears

Made in India versus Made in Mexico

Digger08
Old 01-19-15, 03:53 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

A few of us have been running these pads. I've been running them for over a year already. They've been discussed in that big brake thread as well.
Old 01-19-15, 05:22 PM
lifethinkr
Rookie

Originally Posted by jat0223
A few of us have been running these pads. I've been running them for over a year already. They've been discussed in that big brake thread as well.
Oh. I saw everything else in the big brake thread but duralast. Must have missed it. anyway, these seem to be good pads so far.
Old 01-19-15, 05:25 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I put a brand new set of those I got for free on my car went to the track and within 2 1/2 hours they were metal on metal..... Not a brake pad made to hold up to our cars. Factory brake pads will last mult track sessions
Old 01-19-15, 06:20 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by darbs242
I put a brand new set of those I got for free on my car went to the track and within 2 1/2 hours they were metal on metal..... Not a brake pad made to hold up to our cars. Factory brake pads will last mult track sessions
Your results seem about right The IS-F is a heavy, powerful car that can be downright brutal on brakes. For street use it comes down to what you prioritize in a pad. I don't doubt there are scenarios where these pads will work just fine and they are appealing at such a low price point.

We have had a ton of success with the Project Mu NS400 being having all of the traits the OP mentioned with superior performance and feel to other low dusting pads. They come in at a higher price point than Duralast pads but there are benefits if the the driver prioritizes performance, quality and consistency. Also, if the driver takes the car to the track Project Mu also has more aggressive track compounds allowing you to just swap pads in and out and not worry about the different transfer layers not being compatible and causing issues.

-Matt M.
Old 01-19-15, 06:46 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by lifethinkr
I think I finally found what I was looking for. I say I "think" because i'm still in the break in period with these pads.
Don't understand? Brakes don't have a Break-In Period. Did you perform the Bed-In process immediately after installation? If not, you will never get the maximum performance out of your pads.

Lou
Old 01-19-15, 07:22 PM
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After much debate and research. I wanted 3 things in a brake pad.
1. No Dust
2. Good Stopping Power
3. No Noise
4. Good Price. These were $79 for fronts and $29 for rears
i'm cheap but even i'm not cheap enough to get these.

and that's 4 things not 3.
Old 01-19-15, 08:10 PM
lifethinkr
Rookie

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Don't understand? Brakes don't have a Break-In Period. Did you perform the Bed-In process immediately after installation? If not, you will never get the maximum performance out of your pads.

Lou
not precisely. I'm just making sure I don't have any 100mph stops for the first few hundred miles.
Old 01-19-15, 08:19 PM
lifethinkr
Rookie

Originally Posted by 786
i'm cheap but even i'm not cheap enough to get these.

and that's 4 things not 3.
LOL! I know I edited my post to add 4 things. anyway. SO FAR SO GOOD. I wanted a ceramic pad for low dust. I wanted it to be quiet. I will probably NEVER track my car so no issues there. just a daily driver IF that. I drive my Jeep a lot too. My OEM pads were probably 40 to 50% remaining. So I thought what the heck if worse come to worst I can still use my OEM's. From what I have seen the Stop tech pads are around the same price and a lot of people are using those with less than favorable results. Some like em some hate em. AFTER I get a few hundred miles on these pads I will try to beat on em a little more and will post an update. I do believe more money will get you a better pad, but for under $100 I couldn't find any ceramics. the wearever pads were comparable to these with good reviews but they stopped making them in ceramic. The truth to these pads remains to be seen as im still "breaking them in"(going easy on them)
Old 01-19-15, 08:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

not precisely. I'm just making sure I don't have any 100mph stops for the first few hundred miles.
What difference would that make if you bedded them in properly?
Old 01-19-15, 08:32 PM
lifethinkr
Rookie

I'm just trying to be easy on the brakes for the first few hundred miles. Hence the bed-in process. basically moderate driving with normal stops and no fast or hard stops to overheat the brakes until an even film can develop on the rotors from the new pads.

Bedding-in new pads and rotors should be done carefully and slowly. Rapid heat build up in the brake system can lead to warped rotors and or glazed brake pads. Most brake pad compounds will take up to 300-400 miles to fully develop an even transfer film on the rotors. Following are the recommended bed-in procedures from each manufacturer:

AKEBONO

400 to 500 miles of moderate driving is recommended. Consumer should avoid heavy braking during this period.

ATE

400 to 500 miles of moderate driving is recommended. Consumer should avoid heavy braking during this period.

BREMBO Gran Turismo

In a safe area, apply brakes moderately from 60mph to 30mph and then drive approximately 1/2 mile to allow the brakes to cool. Repeat this procedure approximately 30 times.

HAWK

After installing new pads make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 35 mph with moderate pressure. Make an additional two to three hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph. Do not allow the vehicle to come to a complete stop.When completed with this process, park the vehicle and allow the brakes to cool completely before driving on them again. Do not engage the parking brake until after this cooling process is compete.
Old 01-19-15, 08:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Bedding-in new pads and rotors should be done carefully and slowly. Rapid heat build up in the brake system can lead to warped rotors and or glazed brake pads. Most brake pad compounds will take up to 300-400 miles to fully develop an even transfer film on the rotors. Following are the recommended bed-in procedures from each manufacturer:
Who told you this BS? Bedding pads is done relatively quickly, a lot like breaking in an engine. Done in 20 minutes or so worst case. Few hundred miles? No way. Guaranteed way to squeaking brakes with poor service life.

Quick Reply: New brake pad option