Custom Mount for V1 Concealed Display

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-15, 06:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by KLexus50
Or if you have deep pockets, you can just go here: http://www.radar-mirror.com/
If you've done electronic mods, it's not terribly difficult, but if you haven't it will be a nightmare.

When I had the mirror apart, it was pretty obvious how easy it is to get the display in the mirror. The real challenge is getting the wiring done in a workman like fashion, and ensuring you don't do anything to compromise the integrity of the OEM harness.
Old 01-25-15, 07:04 PM
BieberNutz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KLexus50
Or if you have deep pockets, you can just go here: http://www.radar-mirror.com/
Psssshhhh hahaha...$500 for installation!?!?! That's more than the cost of the detector. I'll give them that they have some pretty cool ideas but they are clearly catering to folks that are in a different tax bracket than I'm in
Old 01-25-15, 07:15 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by BieberNutz
Psssshhhh hahaha...$500 for installation!?!?! That's more than the cost of the detector. I'll give them that they have some pretty cool ideas but they are clearly catering to folks that are in a different tax bracket than I'm in
The Gentec mirror they have in the V1 section is identical to the OEM Lexus mirror used in the later model 2IS. Their comments about a proprietary process are comical. You just need to cut the paper backing and you're cooking with gas.
Old 01-25-15, 08:22 PM
silverlexg
Driver

Originally Posted by BieberNutz
No offense but you drive a 60+k lexus, a $400 mod isn't outrageous and if you factor in the detector discount you get by buying it from the same site it works out to around a $250 mod. They even changed the display from red to blue for free :-) It was well worth it for the concealed look I was going for. I love never have to worry about theft, not to mention it looks pretty badass I can't comment on how they do it - but their is no evidence of any customization with the detector off, so no etching to the mirror. Maybe it's simple but I'm not tearing apart the mirror and trying it myself. I priced out a replacement mirror (no thanks).

Last edited by silverlexg; 01-25-15 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-26-15, 01:55 PM
BieberNutz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by silverlexg
No offense but you drive a 60+k lexus, a $400 mod isn't outrageous and if you factor in the detector discount you get by buying it from the same site it works out to around a $250 mod. They even changed the display from red to blue for free :-) It was well worth it for the concealed look I was going for. I love never have to worry about theft, not to mention it looks pretty badass I can't comment on how they do it - but their is no evidence of any customization with the detector off, so no etching to the mirror. Maybe it's simple but I'm not tearing apart the mirror and trying it myself. I priced out a replacement mirror (no thanks).
None taken 1) The price I saw on the site was $500 not $400 and I already have the detector so I'm not sure that discounted price would apply in my situation (could be wrong though). 2) While I see your point (that a $400 mod shouldn't be considered outrageous) I'd argue that it depends on the mod (what's the cost vs. return/gain). I spent $1500 on my exhaust without thinking about it and would do it again in a heartbeat. Spent another $700 on a front lip and while I cringed at the thought I can't help but smile every time I see the front end of my car. To me those were worth it, to others maybe not.?.?.?

No offense to you but just bc I drive a $60+k Lexus 1) doesn't mean I paid that much or even close to that and 2) I'm not sure how/why means I should start being frivolous with my money.?.?.? I was quoted $800 to install 3M's Crystalline tint on my car (yes, INSANITY!!!)...should I jump on that bc I drive a $60+k car too??? Maybe that's what the sales guy was thinking when he first quoted me that - lol. Sorry but while it's clear that you're happy with your purchase (and I'm not saying you shouldn't be - it is something to be proud of) you've clearly found a way to justify the price of it while I personally cannot. Now that's not to suggest that either one of our decisions is necessarily better, just different. I could argue some of the very same points you made about your install (regarding concealment and being unique) with mine only mine cost me nothing more than my time and a little ingenuity. Again, not trying to offend so I hope you didn't take it that way. I like your solution which is why I asked more about it in the first place, I just can't justify the cost of paying someone else that kind of money for something like that and it's not something I'd risk trying to do myself for the same exact reasons you stated To each their own right!