IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Intro + Track Wheels help

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-15, 08:08 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Intro + Track Wheels help

Well I guess I didn't introduce myself. Here I am, I bought a 2011 IS-F w/ 45k miles in October of 2014. Coming from highly modified STI's and Evo's (Evo I still have) and tracking both vehicles since 2010 and having lots of downtime due to either poor engine assembly or not always better aftermarket parts holding up to higher power output of these cars, I grew tired of never fully enjoying track season, not to mention cost in maintaining them, so after doing some research I decided to try RWD this time around.

The decision wasn't easy, I live in Eastern PA and 1900feet above sea level, so winters here get harsh, I get to press the "Snow" button a lot and it does make a difference! It behaves better than many FWD cars on the snow, but anyway, I wanted a V8 so I could actually enjoy the car and hopefully get the whole season in.

Now that 2015 season is getting close and recently changing all 4 tires to All Seasons, I'm looking for another set of wheels to put new summer rubber on and I'd like to hear for some options.

I'm debating on whether I should get a nicer set of wheels for all-season tires and leave the stock wheels for summer only, especially that one was badly curbed or just a new set for summer and keep beating on the OEM's?

In my previous thread, I said that I have access to cheap Audi summer rubber but only 255's, so does it make sense going wider rear or staying stock, or maybe just slap on summers on the OEM's, try them out and then decide if I should go wider rear?

Well anyway, I'd like to hear some options in track wheels and sizes that some of you are running.

Thanks!
Old 01-09-15, 01:14 PM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

first welcome to the F family! I don't track my isf only drag once in a while. there are some guys that do track their cars and they do provide great detail of their experiences. hopefully they will chim in on this post or use the search function and it should pull up what you are looking for.
Old 01-09-15, 05:33 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Welcome! I reside near eastern PA: Philadelphia! Glad to know there are F's nearby.
Anyway, if the all seasons are treating you nicely, I'd keep them on OEM wheels. Ideally, you'd want a square setup for winter with relatively skinny tires, but if you are fine year-round, who cares.
Definitely opt for a lightweight wheel, square setup for the track: volk, weds, etc. Only problem, however, is $$$ for forged lightweight wheels. For rubber, if you don't want to get crazy with track-entry tires, stick with super sports or re11. If I were you, I'd get a set of toyo r888 or hankook rs3. These are awesome tires, but they're not gonna last long.
My ideal track set up would be 18x9.5 wheels with r888s all around.
Look into wheels made of magnesium, as they are very light, but expensive.
Old 01-13-15, 09:16 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JDMV8
Welcome! I reside near eastern PA: Philadelphia! Glad to know there are F's nearby.
Anyway, if the all seasons are treating you nicely, I'd keep them on OEM wheels. Ideally, you'd want a square setup for winter with relatively skinny tires, but if you are fine year-round, who cares.
Definitely opt for a lightweight wheel, square setup for the track: volk, weds, etc. Only problem, however, is $$$ for forged lightweight wheels. For rubber, if you don't want to get crazy with track-entry tires, stick with super sports or re11. If I were you, I'd get a set of toyo r888 or hankook rs3. These are awesome tires, but they're not gonna last long.
My ideal track set up would be 18x9.5 wheels with r888s all around.
Look into wheels made of magnesium, as they are very light, but expensive.
Thanks for the information. I'll start hunting down some nice lightweight wheels and yes I can attest to rs3's, still have a fresh pair on the Evo and one already worn out, great rubber but with 200 treadwear it doesn't last long, though its price can't be beat.

Why would you go with smaller diameter as oppose to 19's?

You ever come out to Pocono raceway? I'm actually about 5min away from it and they usually have Audi club start the season, which is usually first week of April and $200 is cheap to enjoy 4 sessions.
Old 01-15-15, 03:31 PM
t1h9o8m6s
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running a square set of Volk TE37SL black editions, 18x10 +40 (18lbs each wheel) with 285/35/18 Hankook RS3. Personally I went with 18" wheels due to the variety of tires available at this size.
Old 01-17-15, 12:25 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bbong

You ever come out to Pocono raceway? I'm actually about 5min away from it and they usually have Audi club start the season, which is usually first week of April and $200 is cheap to enjoy 4 sessions.
I do all the bertil roos PDC's at pocono. You should come sometime this year.
Old 01-19-15, 10:38 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by darbs242
I do all the bertil roos PDC's at pocono. You should come sometime this year.
Interesting, I saw that they're there, but I mostly went with NASA HPDE. Going to look into Bertil Roos PDC
Old 02-18-15, 10:22 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Thanks for the information. I'll start hunting down some nice lightweight wheels and yes I can attest to rs3's, still have a fresh pair on the Evo and one already worn out, great rubber but with 200 treadwear it doesn't last long, though its price can't be beat.

Why would you go with smaller diameter as oppose to 19's?

Originally Posted by t1h9o8m6s
I'm running a square set of Volk TE37SL black editions, 18x10 +40 (18lbs each wheel) with 285/35/18 Hankook RS3. Personally I went with 18" wheels due to the variety of tires available at this size.
Did you guys have to roll the fenders in order to get those on? I'm actually looking at Enkei RFP1's, but I'm not sure which size will clear and not drag, considering that I want a square setup? Ideas?
Old 02-18-15, 12:13 PM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you guys have to roll the fenders in order to get those on? I'm actually looking at Enkei RFP1's, but I'm not sure which size will clear and not drag, considering that I want a square setup? Ideas?
There was a guy that tried RPF1's 18x9.5 +45 and they do not clear the front brakes; there is 2mm of interference. If you get the RFP1's with +35 or +38 9-10" wide you shouldn't have any problems. Other people like to run PF01's since they will clear the brakes with a +45 offset but the RPF1's are lighter. I just got some 18x9 tc105n's replicas with a +35 offset and the have plenty of brake clearance, they weight 18.6 lbs. I am still waiting for the tires to come so I can install the wheels.
Old 02-18-15, 12:47 PM
Reaper21
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by juanmedina

There was a guy that tried RPF1's 18x9.5 +45 and they do not clear the front brakes; there is 2mm of interference.
Are you sure about this? I thought it would be a lot more than 2mm. Do you know who the member is that tried it?
Old 02-18-15, 01:00 PM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Reaper21
Are you sure about this? I thought it would be a lot more than 2mm. Do you know who the member is that tried it?
IIRC it was MRxSLAYx. I know he has the +45 RFP1's with drag radials on the rear so maybe he can do a quick check on the clearance with the front brakes. Or you can look for the thread were he said it was only a few millimeters of interference.
Old 02-18-15, 01:51 PM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Something else to point out is that the manufacturer and suppliers of the wheels that I bought said that the wheels would not clear my brakes. I did my research, did some math and took the chance. There is a mile of clearance between the IS-F BBK and the wheel...

Something to keep in mind...
Old 02-18-15, 02:24 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Welcome and congrats, theres few is f here that track their car. One of them is ia8bmr, he cam chime here and he has posted tons of video and info, although i believe he's running stockies with pss tires. I also getting ready to track my car, gluck.
Old 02-18-15, 03:27 PM
bbong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by juanmedina
There was a guy that tried RPF1's 18x9.5 +45 and they do not clear the front brakes; there is 2mm of interference. If you get the RFP1's with +35 or +38 9-10" wide you shouldn't have any problems. Other people like to run PF01's since they will clear the brakes with a +45 offset but the RPF1's are lighter. I just got some 18x9 tc105n's replicas with a +35 offset and the have plenty of brake clearance, they weight 18.6 lbs. I am still waiting for the tires to come so I can install the wheels.
Cool, thanks for the reply. So you're saying that PF01's with +38 and 10" would clear front and rear and not drag? What would be the widest tires I could put on the front and rear? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-20-15, 07:32 PM
Pie
Driver

Cool, thanks for the reply. So you're saying that PF01's with +38 and 10" would clear front and rear and not drag? What would be the widest tires I could put on the front and rear? Thanks in advance.
I have a set of PF01's from my last car. Not the best sizing, but I'm only go to use them for autox/track sessions.I will probably try to test fit them either this weekend or next. I think I will need to roll the rear fender lip to avoid rubbing.

Size
18x8.5 +30
18x9.5 +35