IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

11 IS250 for an 08 ISF???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-15, 02:41 PM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Let's put it this way - you ask about mechanical issues and CL members bring up water pumps... There once was a world where this was considered a maintenance item...

If you're interested in mechanical issues, google "BMW M3 M5 M6 rod bearings." Or "BMW N63 Customer Care Package."

F.
Old 01-08-15, 03:07 PM
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ seriously

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
May I ask how did you accomplish a $500 brake job? Was it DIY? The dealership charges 2k for parts and labor...
i can get my mechanic to send you parts numbers if you want, he was shocked at how cheap everything was too. he told me the parts alone for a C63 would have been around $2k, and it has the same size brakes.
Old 01-08-15, 10:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I cant believe someone is asking this question. LOL

ISF all day. The car is extremely reliable, 200 extra HP, its rare and unique, will turn some heads, AND GAS IS CHEAP !!!! GET THE F!!
Old 01-09-15, 12:43 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

If you want better gas economy, added fifth seat, and some tech updates, the IS250 will suffice. For a power perspective, exclusivity, and the prestige of owning Lexus' first F performance variant, even a 2008 example will be plenty. There wasn't a power bump, but there were revisions from the factory with regards to suspension, lighting, and steering and LSD.

If you can afford the maintenance and higher cost of ownership compared to the 250, then jump on the F! Everyone will say automatically to jump on the F, but ONLY if it financially appropriate. Being able to afford it without impacting the finances and budget and replacing the necessary parts (typically tires, oil changes, brakes and rotors) is more important than being in over your head just to say you can own an F.
Old 01-09-15, 08:08 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
If you want better gas economy, added fifth seat, and some tech updates, the IS250 will suffice. For a power perspective, exclusivity, and the prestige of owning Lexus' first F performance variant, even a 2008 example will be plenty. There wasn't a power bump, but there were revisions from the factory with regards to suspension, lighting, and steering and LSD.

If you can afford the maintenance and higher cost of ownership compared to the 250, then jump on the F! Everyone will say automatically to jump on the F, but ONLY if it financially appropriate. Being able to afford it without impacting the finances and budget and replacing the necessary parts (typically tires, oil changes, brakes and rotors) is more important than being in over your head just to say you can own an F.
Totally agreed with bnizzle87.

Before I purchased my F, I saw the following things would increase and I was still comfortable going forward:
- Increase cost for oil change
- Increase cost filling gas more often
- Possible water pump replacement
- Quicker wear on brake pads, rotors and tires
- 8 spark plug replacement (compared to 6 on IS250, mentioning this since I'm going get it done soon)
- Increased car insurance cost by $300 a year (it was going down by $240 this year if I kept IS250, so $540 difference)

My daily commute is short and it was feasible for me to get an F.

Go with what you're comfortable with
Old 01-09-15, 09:01 AM
YotaLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. Great advice bnizzle87. I believe this is something I can afford after doing my monthly budget. But like I said, the monthly ownership of the 08 ISF will actually be $50 cheaper than the 2011 IS250. That is one of the main reasons I am looking into getting the F. Sure insurance might drop a little when I turn 25-26 but currently the insurance + the car payment is more expensive for me on the 250.

The only thing I can really look at the 08 and say I like [this better] on the 250 is the upgrade on headlights/taillights. I traveled 150 miles this morning to test drive the car and after test driving it I'm hooked. So much raw power. Suspension didn't really bother me either.....

So I've added the extra 3 quarts of oil I will need for oil changes.. I called a buddy @ the dealership and he said I could get Toyo Proxes @ $150 ea front and back... Or BStones @ $199 ea front and back. I saw the water pump for $150 how much could I expect to have this installed if the pump is an issue?
And a slight fortune to do a brake job... How often are y'all actually replacing the rotors? Can I make it through getting them resurfaced for a few pad changes?
Also... Other than that and the other things you mentioned (Zelfiris) is there anything else you can think of having to pay more for on monthly basis than an IS250?

Thanks to everybody who reached out.
Originally Posted by Zelfiris
Totally agreed with bnizzle87.

Before I purchased my F, I saw the following things would increase and I was still comfortable going forward:
- Increase cost for oil change
- Increase cost filling gas more often
- Possible water pump replacement
- Quicker wear on brake pads, rotors and tires
- 8 spark plug replacement (compared to 6 on IS250, mentioning this since I'm going get it done soon)
- Increased car insurance cost by $300 a year (it was going down by $240 this year if I kept IS250, so $540 difference)

My daily commute is short and it was feasible for me to get an F.

Go with what you're comfortable with
Old 01-09-15, 09:25 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YotaLex
Yes. Great advice bnizzle87. I believe this is something I can afford after doing my monthly budget. But like I said, the monthly ownership of the 08 ISF will actually be $50 cheaper than the 2011 IS250. That is one of the main reasons I am looking into getting the F. Sure insurance might drop a little when I turn 25-26 but currently the insurance + the car payment is more expensive for me on the 250.

The only thing I can really look at the 08 and say I like [this better] on the 250 is the upgrade on headlights/taillights. I traveled 150 miles this morning to test drive the car and after test driving it I'm hooked. So much raw power. Suspension didn't really bother me either.....

So I've added the extra 3 quarts of oil I will need for oil changes.. I called a buddy @ the dealership and he said I could get Toyo Proxes @ $150 ea front and back... Or BStones @ $199 ea front and back. I saw the water pump for $150 how much could I expect to have this installed if the pump is an issue?
And a slight fortune to do a brake job... How often are y'all actually replacing the rotors? Can I make it through getting them resurfaced for a few pad changes?
Also... Other than that and the other things you mentioned (Zelfiris) is there anything else you can think of having to pay more for on monthly basis than an IS250?

Thanks to everybody who reached out.
Will you be tracking? If yes, someone more experience can answer you

For daily commute, my rotors are looking great at 40k miles. I had the front pads replaced before I took ownership. I purchased the rear brake pads from sewells and they're not wore enough to change yet.

Honestly, it is still a Lexus, so on a monthly basis just your gas bill will shoot up. I used to fill up every 8-9 days, now its every 4-5 days but again, I have a short commute.

I do check my coolant level every 2 weeks (paranoid of any leaks) and that's really about it.
Old 01-09-15, 10:30 AM
YotaLex
Driver

Zelfiris,
I don't plan on tracking, just the occasional red light to red light.
My commute has recently become shortened, I now have a company truck to drive to and from work.

Now all I have to do is sell the 250 tomorrow and pray the dealership has the ISF come Monday or Tuesday.

Thanks for your help!
Originally Posted by Zelfiris
Will you be tracking? If yes, someone more experience can answer you

For daily commute, my rotors are looking great at 40k miles. I had the front pads replaced before I took ownership. I purchased the rear brake pads from sewells and they're not wore enough to change yet.

Honestly, it is still a Lexus, so on a monthly basis just your gas bill will shoot up. I used to fill up every 8-9 days, now its every 4-5 days but again, I have a short commute.

I do check my coolant level every 2 weeks (paranoid of any leaks) and that's really about it.
Old 01-09-15, 11:44 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
I came from a 1999 Toyota Corolla in which I drove for 10 years. I handed it down to my younger brother who is still driving it. I purchased an is250 and this vehicle was my gateway car into speeding and performance oriented cars. I traded in my 250 for a 350 after about a year and a half. Then a year later after promotions at work I decided to trade the 350 for an IS F. It drove my wife crazy, but I was after performance and looks and modding the 350 made sense but when I did the math, I'd decided the IS F came with all the bells and whistles I was looking for. I definitely have the mod bug owning the IS F for 6 months now...lol. I admire what other owners are doing to their F's and my imagination is going wild to say the least. Like other members have mentioned aside from the big power difference you're gonna feel. The suspension of that model year is really stiff. I have an 2011 which most of the suspension was sorted out and addressed so to speak. Even this MY gets a bit overwhelming for me as it's my daily driver. Seriously though, aside from that all the smiles this car puts on my face and the looks I get from other drivers on the road, I can live and forget about the suspension. I say JUST DO IT. If you get a good deal for it, if the suspension is that bad you can always change it for an aftermarket one or a newer model year one. Good Luck!
compare with ISX50, the F suspension should be stiff. I feel the MY 08 stiff suspension has faster acceleration than 12 suspension that I have on the car now. Also, the wheels are bigger and with lower tire height which it's another key point for the ride.
Old 01-09-15, 09:42 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by YotaLex
I believe this is something I can afford after doing my monthly budget. But like I said, the monthly ownership of the 08 ISF will actually be $50 cheaper than the 2011 IS250. That is one of the main reasons I am looking into getting the F. Sure insurance might drop a little when I turn 25-26 but currently the insurance + the car payment is more expensive for me on the 250.
IMHO, The ISF has no place in YotaLex's life. He's concerned with finances, and only finances. The Main Reason for getting an ISF should not be finances it should be performance - Pure and Simple. That's what an ISF is about. Sure, Finances play an important role, but the MAIN REASON, No!

If I couldn't afford an ISF, a Corolla or an IS250, or even an IS350 would never be on any list of vehicles I would consider.

I believe all of us hear have a performance car background, and have owned High Performance machines in the past, and going forward will only consider an higher performance automobile in the future.

Going from a Corolla to an IS250 is a good progression. An IS250 to an ISF, IMHO, certainly is not. Have you ever driven a high performance car? Do you know how to drive one. Driving a HP car is different than driving a, for lack of a better word, regular car. I believe, you should be looking at an IS350 at this point in you maturation.

Maybe I sound like a Pompous Old ***, and maybe I am one. But I've been driving and modifying cars for the last 59 years. From the OPs posts, he just doesn't sound like an enthusiast to me.

Lou
Old 01-10-15, 08:46 AM
YotaLex
Driver

Your opinion is valued and I appreciate the thought. Finances are the first thing to evaluate when making a purchase any time. (To me) I have driven fast cars, my background comes from Motorcycles, Dirtbikes, Etc..... I grew up around speed. Sure my first car was a newer Corolla because that was all I could finance.I continued building my credit and purchased the Lexus. My credit score is closer to 800 then it is 700....I've worked for every bit of it... I'm in my early 20s and haven't had time to establish a car history of my own. Trust this.... in 30 years I too will say, I've been around performance vehicles for X amount of years.
Cardinal rule to a powerful engine is respect it.... Speed is no joke.
We all have to start somewhere.
Good day.

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
IMHO, The ISF has no place in YotaLex's life. He's concerned with finances, and only finances. The Main Reason for getting an ISF should not be finances it should be performance - Pure and Simple. That's what an ISF is about. Sure, Finances play an important role, but the MAIN REASON, No!

If I couldn't afford an ISF, a Corolla or an IS250, or even an IS350 would never be on any list of vehicles I would consider.

I believe all of us hear have a performance car background, and have owned High Performance machines in the past, and going forward will only consider an higher performance automobile in the future.

Going from a Corolla to an IS250 is a good progression. An IS250 to an ISF, IMHO, certainly is not. Have you ever driven a high performance car? Do you know how to drive one. Driving a HP car is different than driving a, for lack of a better word, regular car. I believe, you should be looking at an IS350 at this point in you maturation.

Maybe I sound like a Pompous Old ***, and maybe I am one. But I've been driving and modifying cars for the last 59 years. From the OPs posts, he just doesn't sound like an enthusiast to me.

Lou
Old 01-10-15, 03:39 PM
ACE350
Driver School Candidate

OP, it sounds as if your mind is already made up and you are going with the F. I think it's a great choice (biased lol) . I've had my 08 F for a little over 3 months and I enjoy it every time I drive it. I don't think you have to be a "full blown" enthusiasts to enjoy this car. Me personally I am very much into cars in general although i do not consider myself to be a pro at driving and extracting every ounce of performance out of my car. The F can be a good daily driver or a highway cruiser... As long as you feel it's the car you want to be in. Coming from a Acura TL-S the increase in power and having RWD with a stiff suspension did give me a small learning curve to get over with the F.. At the end of the day it's still a lexus, reliability and quality are present and accounted for. Good luck on your decision, it sounds like you weighed your options and will make an informed decision. Also we need more F's in the Carolinas lol, I'm stationed at ft bragg.
Old 01-10-15, 11:22 PM
kiryu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think no one will ever regret getting a F vs a 250 as long as you are financially capable to pay for gas, shorter tire life, pricier brakes and higher car payments

I had a 2014 loaner IS250, great car, rides sweet, handles easy but the power makes it pretty boring
the IS350 has great power but the F is just in another league