Old 01-08-15, 08:44 AM
YotaLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 11 IS250 for an 08 ISF???

Hello all,
I'm new here, thanks for having me.
So here's the scoop....
I purchased a used 2011 IS250 about 10 months ago w/ 18xxx miles. I've loved the car, it's beautifully designed, runs well and let's face it Lexus' are head turners.

The only problem I have with the car is its made me want more power. I went from a Corolla to this and the power jump was noticeable at first. Now I just feel like the 2.5L isn't adequate.

I'm selling my car privately this weekend for 23k and I'm eye balling a 08 Lexus IS F with 45xxx miles on it.
The price is only 5k more than what I originally spent on my 250.

The questions I have are:
Is this a good idea? I know it's an F but is this something that makes sense?
Are there any issues with the 08 F I should know about before hand?
Will I run into any problems w/ the current mileage of the F?
Any body have any major repairs done to their F?
Lastly, whats the going rate on maintenance? Tires/Brake Pads things of that sort.

Thanks so much to anyone with some knowledge about the subject. Any inside information will be so helpful with my decision.

YotaLex
Old 01-08-15, 09:45 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Should probably be in the IS-F Forum... but the 08 generally had the harshest ride of the IS-F's. Lexus continued to fine tune and upgrade the suspension nearly every year.

Corolla to IS-F is a pretty big leap (with the IS250 in the middle). Did you consider the IS350?
Old 01-08-15, 10:13 AM
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do it and never look back. the IS-F is a phenomenal car in many respects. IS350 is not even a comparison, you're talking high school girls car vs. man's car.

no major issues with the drivetrain, just get the water pump checked out to make sure it isn't leaking. 45k miles is barely broken in for an F, no issue with the mileage at all. my F has been flawless and i don't know anyone that has had major repairs done on theirs. maintenance is quite inexpensive for a high performance car, my last major service was $470 and my last brake job (rotors, pads, fluid) was $500. car is a bargain to run and a hoot on the highway, you will not regret the purchase one bit. mine now has intake and exhaust with headers on the way, sounds epic, puts a smile on my face every day. a lesser IS couldn't hold a candle to this car.

wholeheartedly recommended, thank me later.
Old 01-08-15, 10:19 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

water pump leak may be an issue it wasnt previously addressed, current miles is low for an 08, maintenance isnt too bad, regular oil changes, brakes, etc.. just go aftermarket route and its a lot cheaper than OEM. Get the F, you won't regret it.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 01-08-15, 10:38 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

You can pull off good MPGs. Insurance rates aren't high at all. Oil changes every 3-5k miles (10 qts each change). Rotors and pads can be expensive if you stay with quality parts. Some 08's have waterpump leaks. Not much else to say except this is a no brainer. ^_^
Old 01-08-15, 10:58 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I came from a 1999 Toyota Corolla in which I drove for 10 years. I handed it down to my younger brother who is still driving it. I purchased an is250 and this vehicle was my gateway car into speeding and performance oriented cars. I traded in my 250 for a 350 after about a year and a half. Then a year later after promotions at work I decided to trade the 350 for an IS F. It drove my wife crazy, but I was after performance and looks and modding the 350 made sense but when I did the math, I'd decided the IS F came with all the bells and whistles I was looking for. I definitely have the mod bug owning the IS F for 6 months now...lol. I admire what other owners are doing to their F's and my imagination is going wild to say the least. Like other members have mentioned aside from the big power difference you're gonna feel. The suspension of that model year is really stiff. I have an 2011 which most of the suspension was sorted out and addressed so to speak. Even this MY gets a bit overwhelming for me as it's my daily driver. Seriously though, aside from that all the smiles this car puts on my face and the looks I get from other drivers on the road, I can live and forget about the suspension. I say JUST DO IT. If you get a good deal for it, if the suspension is that bad you can always change it for an aftermarket one or a newer model year one. Good Luck!
Old 01-08-15, 11:02 AM
YotaLex
Driver

I did consider an IS350. The biggest thing for me here is my monthly cost... My payments are currently $350 my insurance is $250. To get the F it would actually be cheaper to own than the IS250 monthly.

Thank you for your comment. Insurance is kicking my @$$ being 23 years old.
Old 01-08-15, 11:04 AM
YotaLex
Driver

Sounds great. Thank you. I'm ready to hear the big 8!
Originally Posted by 786
do it and never look back. the IS-F is a phenomenal car in many respects. IS350 is not even a comparison, you're talking high school girls car vs. man's car.

no major issues with the drivetrain, just get the water pump checked out to make sure it isn't leaking. 45k miles is barely broken in for an F, no issue with the mileage at all. my F has been flawless and i don't know anyone that has had major repairs done on theirs. maintenance is quite inexpensive for a high performance car, my last major service was $470 and my last brake job (rotors, pads, fluid) was $500. car is a bargain to run and a hoot on the highway, you will not regret the purchase one bit. mine now has intake and exhaust with headers on the way, sounds epic, puts a smile on my face every day. a lesser IS couldn't hold a candle to this car.

Old 01-08-15, 11:09 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

May I ask how did you accomplish a $500 brake job? Was it DIY? The dealership charges 2k for parts and labor...
Originally Posted by 786

Old 01-08-15, 12:05 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a no-brainer. Buy the F and never look back. You'll be happy that you did EVERY SINGLE DAY!
Old 01-08-15, 12:09 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
May I ask how did you accomplish a $500 brake job? Was it DIY? The dealership charges 2k for parts and labor...
You really don't need or want the stealer to do your brakes fella.

Those guys charge stupid money for a job any half skilled mechanic can do.

Brakes are brakes. Buy the rotors, pads and fluid yourself, and get a local shop to fit them for you.

Whilst it's closer to $1K that way, it's still better than the $2K odd from the stealers!

If you can tackle it yourself, you could be closer to the $500 quoted.
Old 01-08-15, 12:14 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Sure thing...thank you. When I bought the car I inspected the brakes, and added that to my to do list before I committed to the deal. The service rep was like yeah man this is a 2k job, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by PDP180180
You really don't need or want the stealer to do your brakes fella.

Those guys charge stupid money for a job any half skilled mechanic can do.

Brakes are brakes. Buy the rotors, pads and fluid yourself, and get a local shop to fit them for you.

Whilst it's closer to $1K that way, it's still better than the $2K odd from the stealers!

If you can tackle it yourself, you could be closer to the $500 quoted.
Old 01-08-15, 12:15 PM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in your shoes 4 months ago.

I had a 2011 Lexus IS250 with 19k miles and sold it for a 2008 Lexus ISF with 40k miles. I wanted more power and I got it, no regrets. My cost of ownership went up but I'm more happy than ever. I put in a bit more money to make up the price difference, which is similar to your scenario.
Old 01-08-15, 02:10 PM
TranV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the F!!!!
Old 01-08-15, 02:33 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

came from 07 250 as well. have you test drive the F? if you dont, take it for a spin. you want more power, then you'll get it on the F. be careful what you ask for, because this beast is no joke.

Quick Reply: 11 IS250 for an 08 ISF???