IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

GSF is Finally Here - ISF Coming?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-15, 09:15 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRick
youre assuming that the I/H/E has the same effect on the RCF/GSF that it had on the ISF. i can damn near guarantee...from looking at the exhaust on the RCF...that an aftermarket exhaust wont have the same benefits that they did on the ISF.
Yes, that was my assumption. Have you actually looked at the RCF exhaust in person. I have, and there are so many squished areas and tube diameter changes that a well designed exhaust will, IMO, have a similar effect on power gains on an ISF. They did finally make a full dual system with an "H" pipe, but again, IMO, a properly designed system will blow it away.

Lou
Old 01-11-15, 09:47 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

squished exhaust piping towards the rear diff area. This diameter piping is also smaller than the piping near the header flanges. Would like to see what RCF headers look like, havent seen a picture yet. The stock ISF headers are junk. I believe they said the RCF ones are 4-2-1 type so its definitely a different one than the ISF

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 01-11-15 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-11-15, 11:00 AM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will be buying one, but 500hp certainly would have put a bigger smile on my face that as a base then I/E/H you could at least be mentioned with other cars in the class in their stock form.
Old 01-11-15, 12:16 PM
XpediencY
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll move up in 3-5 years to one.

Of course it can be better, but aside from that...

More room for everyone than ISF, actually cooled front seats. My legs are actually cramped in the ISF for long road trips. Power to weight is pretty close and it has TVD. The transmission also holds gears in automode during cornering. Adjustable suspension (Sport/Comfort) also is what I'm most excited about.

They did say RCF will have improvements year over year and I'm eager to see what they will do for the GSF in a couple of years as well.

I'm not in love with the looks like I am with the RCF however, but you can't have everything... lol

85k loaded is where I'm hoping it'll cap out at.

Yaguchi explained the no increase in power in an article, but now I really have to wonder how they will slot in the next generation ISF...

It wouldn't make sense to give it the exact same power plant as the RCF and GSF, nor does it make sense for it to have a v6 TT that also makes the same power... I wonder if it'll be at least 500hp and be made more expensive than GSF and RCF... Perhaps AWD? Purely speculation in my part of course...

Last edited by XpediencY; 01-11-15 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-11-15, 01:00 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
I believe they said the RCF ones are 4-2-1 type so its definitely a different one than the ISF
Haven't seen the exhaust manifolds, but the ISF are 4 into 2 into 1.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails GSF is Finally Here - ISF Coming?-left-side-exhaust-manifold.jpg  
Old 01-11-15, 01:12 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by XpediencY
I'll move up in 3-5 years to one.

Of course it can be better, but aside from that...

More room for everyone than ISF, actually cooled front seats. My legs are actually cramped in the ISF for long road trips. Power to weight is pretty close and it has TVD. The transmission also holds gears in automode during cornering. Adjustable suspension (Sport/Comfort) also is what I'm most excited about.

They did say RCF will have improvements year over year and I'm eager to see what they will do for the GSF in a couple of years as well.

I'm not in love with the looks like I am with the RCF however, but you can't have everything... lol

85k loaded is where I'm hoping it'll cap out at.

Yaguchi explained the no increase in power in an article, but now I really have to wonder how they will slot in the next generation ISF...

It wouldn't make sense to give it the exact same power plant as the RCF and GSF, nor does it make sense for it to have a v6 TT that also makes the same power... I wonder if it'll be at least 500hp and be made more expensive than GSF and RCF... Perhaps AWD? Purely speculation in my part of course...
I agree with you, a couple nice improvements the cooled seats is a daily use item in the summer for me in our other vehicle. I could use more room for sure and as my kids get bigger I am sure they would like a little more as well. It makes me wonder about the next ISF if there is one, typically the entry level model dosent get more HP than the higher end cars. I don't see any improvements/refresh on the GSF until 2018 and I doubt I can wait that long to see if they give only a couple slight cosmetic improvements my dealer sends me weekly updates on the GSF and I am slated to drive the first one they get but my ISF is still very low miles that combined with low oil prices (I am in oil & gas) I might wait until next year to pick one up.
Old 01-11-15, 01:45 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
Lou:
I respect your opinion and perspective on most things, but I can't believe you went to the "if you mod it then the power is there" argument. When you compare cars in the same class across different car manufacturers, the only fair way to compare them is in their stock form with similar tires. Anything else is a pretty useless comparison.

Lexus has not kept up with the horsepower war that is raging in the car world, at least not with the GSF. BUT, my argument is that it doesn't matter. First, don't we think Lexus, if it wanted to, could make a car with more horsepower? Of course they could have. But obviously Lexus is not aiming at the buyer who just wants the car with the most power. They're aiming for the buyer that might care about the other things... NA over FI, reliability, gas mileage, tech, quality... they know that they're not making the fastest car in the class, and I suspect they're fine with that decision.

Let's face it... there's no practical difference between 450 and 550hp in a real world application. Sure, the CTSV and M5 are going to be much faster than the GSF in a highway race, on a drag strip, 0-60, and probably on a road course as well. But honestly, when does that power ever actually come in to play? It's nice to say you have it, and it's nice to know you're the fastest thing on the street at any particular stoplight, but how many buyers of the M5, CTSV or GSF are going to use the full brunt of the power on a regular basis? The numbers are nice to talk about, but dangerous/illegal to use. Now I get it, by this argument, we should all be driving a Prius... but my point is that if you are in a fast performance vehicle that can do 0-60 in 4.3 seconds, getting one that can do 0-60 in 3.9 seconds isn't going to make any real difference to you 99% of the time, so choosing your car based on that metric alone seems foolish.

I don't pick my cars on pure horsepower figures alone. It's the total package that counts. That all said, my biggest gripe with the GSF is the frankenstein-like styling. It just doesn't look right to me. I realize I'm a total homer with this, but of the 3 "F" models that are available, given the relative cost differences, I'd MUCH rather pick up a 2014 ISF over a 2015 RCF or a 2016 GSF.
One of the best responses I've seen yet! All makes perfect sense.

V.
Old 01-11-15, 02:01 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vbb
Lou:
I respect your opinion and perspective on most things, but I can't believe you went to the "if you mod it then the power is there" argument.
Actually that really wasn't the point I was trying to get across. Did you read all my my post? What I was trying to convey, to all the negative posters, that Yes, if we want to extract it, the power really is there, and the Gross HP is what the naysayers seem to be interested in.

Originally Posted by vbb
Let's face it... there's no practical difference between 450 and 550hp in a real world application.
And actually I agree with you. Did you read the last sentence in my post?

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Just my opinion, not so bad after all. When, and if, I get rid of my F, both the RCF and GSF will be on my list.
Lou
Old 01-11-15, 02:15 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

did they say the GSF would have the adjustable suspension? The RCF doesnt have it.

edit: n/m I looked at pics of the engine bay and there isnt adjustable suspension

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 01-11-15 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-11-15, 04:10 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...ihiko-yaguchi/

Q+A With Lexus RC F, GS F Chief Engineer Yukihiko Yaguchi
ByAutomobile
Jan 08, 2015

Lexus is putting serious effort into building performance cars, with both the 2015 Lexus RC F coupe and the 2016 Lexus GS F sedan packing a 467-hp punch from a 5.0-liter V-8 engine. But what else makes those cars special? To find out, we talked to Lexus RC F and GS F chief engineer Yukihiko Yaguchi.

AUTOMOBILE: What performance developments unique to the 2016 Lexus GS F are you most proud of?
YAGUCHI: I am proud of the seamless switch from public-road to track driving, which is the signature of F [Lexus' name for performance cars]. In the GS F, this transition is remarkable as the car is strong, feeling uncompromised for its purpose in both situations. Often, it is hard to keep good a track car feeling luxurious on public roads.

A: What specifically changes when you switch between standard, sport and track modes on the 2016 Lexus GS F?
Y: Sport mode is one of the car's drive modes and track mode is the one of the TVD [Torque Vectoring Differential] modes. In addition to TVD operation and the degree of torque vectoring, the steering feel/weight changes as well as transmission response, shift points, and throttle blipping with each mode.

A: What styling elements are unique to the 2016 Lexus GS F, and how do they move the F performance style forward?
Y: We included several F design cues, such as a mesh grille, on the GS F. The front fenders, hood, and fascia are unique and add visible length. There is also a rear diffuser and four exhaust outlets. The styling elements are also aerodynamic elements that help manage airflow around the car at speed.

A: Was there any thought given to increasing power given that the Lexus GS F is bigger and heavier than the RC F, or are you confident it will perform with sedans in the similar class?
Y: The cars' performance is almost the same so I want customers to choose which they like: sedan or coupe between RC F and GS F, as that is a matter of taste. The GS F will offer a Lexus F brand performance experience with a focus on fun and an easy-to-drive experience, while balancing its street and track character.

A: Other performance brands are moving heavily into turbocharging. What advantages does a naturally aspirated V-8 offer over the competition?
Y: Response, sound, seamless power delivery -- those are the three key elements to the F brand experience, and a naturally aspirated engine gives drivers predictable power, and builds confidence in tandem with the rest of the vehicle system tuning.

A: Would an engine smaller than the V-8 ever be considered for an F performance model?
Y: No. I think the V-8 is the sportiest and it meets the power and fuel economy targets with a combination of Atkinson/Otto cycle operation. The sound is a very important part of the experience, I feel.

A: The F performance brand is now been expanded to two main line models. How much further would you like to expand it?
Y: We don't have future plans yet that we can share, but the F brand is a key part of Lexus globally going forward.

A: Is there a desire or need to create another halo type vehicle along the lines of the Lexus LFA as an ultimate expression of the F performance brand?
Y: The Lexus RC F-based race car will take that responsibility instead. The RC F GT3 story will evolve in the coming year to help become an ultimate expression of F brand globally.
Old 01-11-15, 05:22 PM
XpediencY
Pit Crew

did they say the GSF would have the adjustable suspension? The RCF doesnt have it.

edit: n/m I looked at pics of the engine bay and there isnt adjustable suspension
If by adjustable you mean "Sport+" which firms up the ride a bit for better responsiveness, then yes it does.

All F sport models including the RCF has it, so I can't imagine the GSF would be different.
Old 01-11-15, 06:59 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Best I can do for you... RC F Engine Dyno / Development

Joe Z

squished exhaust piping towards the rear diff area. This diameter piping is also smaller than the piping near the header flanges. Would like to see what RCF headers look like, havent seen a picture yet. The stock ISF headers are junk. I believe they said the RCF ones are 4-2-1 type so its definitely a different one than the ISF

Last edited by Joe Z; 01-11-15 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-11-15, 07:45 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XpediencY
If by adjustable you mean "Sport+" which firms up the ride a bit for better responsiveness, then yes it does.

All F sport models including the RCF has it, so I can't imagine the GSF would be different.
there is no variable suspension on either RCF or GSF, you can look on the shock towers and there is no actuator like the F Sports have

can see the actuators and wiring over the shock towers

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 01-11-15 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-11-15, 08:05 PM
XpediencY
Pit Crew

I dunno... Test drove it the other day and there was a difference in comfort between regular and sport+ on the RCF.

Lexus website acknowledges this and also this picture even highlights the suspension components as well...

Maybe we aren't talking about the same thing? What's the difference between sport+ on F sport vs the F?

Per Lexus's website:
Independent, double-wishbone with forged-aluminum components, coil springs, gas-pressurized electronically controlled shock absorbers and hollow stabilizer bar

Drive Mode Select enables you to make your vehicle more responsive or efficient with a simple turn of the switch. Sport mode alters the powertrain for more dynamic throttle response while Sport S+ mode adds steering and suspension system enhancements to help provide a higher level of responsiveness.
Old 01-11-15, 08:35 PM
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do they have the magnetic fluid in them like the vette's, 458 etc?

Quick Reply: GSF is Finally Here - ISF Coming?