IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

GSF is Finally Here - ISF Coming?

Old 01-06-15, 11:19 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

The GsF is going to have the RCF engine.....oh well.

That can mean only one thing, there is no way that the next ISF would have the same engine as GSF.
If there is next generation ISF, it will most likely be a twin turbo as the M3.

Plus there were some early indications of the V8 not fitting the curent IS engine bay,
explaining why the GSF getting the good old V8 :-)
Old 01-07-15, 05:14 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Who ever made the call to not put turbos on the motor is an idiot. Every one of the cars competitors has a twin turbo V8. Based on the power alone. I would never buy this car. it needed to be in the same league as a e63, rs6/rs7 and M5. Too do that it needs turbos..

Exterior looks pretty plain GS to me. I see little F touches and the big grill but maybe thats all it should have for the higher-line sedan. Cant have it look to young or busy.

Now as far as the interior goes.. WOW! and Great JOB! Audi is the only rival out of the bunch.
Old 01-07-15, 05:19 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

^^ yeah I was hoping for v10 with bi-turbo to compete with the M/AMG etc...but I guess lexus isn't really targeting this segment...
Old 01-07-15, 05:21 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
its basically a 4 door RCF. Kind of a let down on the power. Thats about 100 hp less than the competition. Here we go again , Lexus . If you step to the competition knock the guy out, dont get in line behind him.
this car does not compete with the E63 or M5, those cars cost well over $100k easily. A 550 M Sport already costs high 70s loaded that has less power and weighs 300# more. The GSF is in a strange middle ground thats above the V8 sport packaged sedan but well below the V8 sedan halo model. What if someone wanted something more than a sports package but without the absurd 100k+ price.

The biggest threat to this car is the CTS-V Sport or CTS-V because of the similar weight and probably similar pricing.

Originally Posted by darbs242
Who ever made the call to not put turbos on the motor is an idiot. Every one of the cars competitors has a twin turbo V8. Based on the power alone. I would never buy this car. it needed to be in the same league as a e63, rs6/rs7 and M5. Too do that it needs turbos.
so you want it to be in the same price league too? Go build one of those cars you mentioned and watch the prices rocket well over 100k. I got bored and built an M5 and it was specced out to be $115k. Same thing will happen to the E63 and RS7. An RC and GS have about a $5k difference in base price. So it wouldn't be out of the question to assume the GSF starts at $67-68k, meaning a loaded GSF is maybe in the high $70s low 80s.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 01-07-15 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-07-15, 05:25 AM
darbs242
Racer

Originally Posted by Rossi
The GsF is going to have the RCF engine.....oh well.

That can mean only one thing, there is no way that the next ISF would have the same engine as GSF.
If there is next generation ISF, it will most likely be a twin turbo as the M3.

Plus there were some early indications of the V8 not fitting the curent IS engine bay,
explaining why the GSF getting the good old V8 :-)
I dunno about this. For a while every AMG had the 6.3 in it... lexus could drop this new rcf motor in everything.
Old 01-07-15, 06:20 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming from a guy who owns and has owned a few Lexus cars, the GSF seems to be a wasted opportunity. I really wouldn't mind paying 100-120k for a GSF it was a competition killer, but it seems that lexus isn't interested in being a class leader.

The last few years have been a huge letdown for the lexus performance faithfuls! Waited for the RCF... Lexus builds a car that my ISF makes irrelevant. Waiting for the GSF... Lexus is probably going to make a car that every competitor makes irrelevant. If things continue like this ill be heading into the Porsche arena and never looking back at a brand thats afraid to truly make waves.
Old 01-07-15, 06:28 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

$120k+ GSF means that car would never exist because it would never sell. Just because BMW builds an overpriced car Lexus should do it too? People want it to have the same power as an M5 but will then complain when they see the absurd AMG/M pricing. GSF will easily be $30k cheaper than an M5.

MT: For 25 years, Miata supporters have had to deal with oppositionists saying their car doesn't have enough power. Do you see a similar parallel coming between the F brand and fans of BMW M, Mercedes AMG, Audi RS, etc.?

Yaguchi: "We don't compete based on head-to-head performance or stated power."

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 01-07-15 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-07-15, 06:32 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

When was the last time toyota made a TT motor? It seems to me like they have focused their forced induction R&D into superchargers ala Tundra, right? Much like you guys I'm pretty disappointed to hear they aren't going after M and AMG with this sedan. While I can't afford a $100k car, it would be nice 'heritage' to own (as is lead, destroy, and stand alone in) that class. I would have thought that with Lexus going directly after the M4, and missing, with the RCF they would have really beefed up for this challenge. Sigh, maybe the RX F will beat the M63 or SQ5 with that F motor. Oh, don't start a riot, I haven't heard anything, but to the point of 'this motor going into anything' hey, why not.
Old 01-07-15, 07:05 AM
darbs242
Racer

RCF is 70... there was more room than 10k to bump in a GSF. I would pay the 100k for two turbos
Old 01-07-15, 07:22 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

lexus dropped the ball on this hard

the M5, E63, and CTSV will stomp the GSF
Old 01-07-15, 07:26 AM
yjk1975
Pole Position

GSF will be priced above $80k. Lexus could have provided a lot more and priced it between $80k-$90 and make people very happy. Don't knock the M's, AMG's, and the RS's. They are all incredible cars and Lexus is absolutely behind the curve. Just like introducing the new IS line with the old engines. Whats going on? Does Lexus not have any engine builders?
Old 01-07-15, 08:15 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by streetx
lexus dropped the ball on this hard

the M5, E63, and CTSV will stomp the GSF
I would hope the M5 and C63 stomp this car as they will cost $30k more. CTS-V is the biggest threat to the GSF as its similar weight, way more power and shouldnt have absurd pricing like the M and AMG models.
Old 01-07-15, 08:31 AM
Cronic
Pole Position

Why is anyone surprised? It's typical Lexus.
Old 01-07-15, 09:24 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Cronic
Why is anyone surprised? It's typical Lexus.

Old 01-07-15, 10:11 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen;8856324[B
]this car does not compete with the E63 or M5, those cars cost well over $100k easily.[/B] A 550 M Sport already costs high 70s loaded that has less power and weighs 300# more. The GSF is in a strange middle ground thats above the V8 sport packaged sedan but well below the V8 sedan halo model. What if someone wanted something more than a sports package but without the absurd 100k+ price.

The biggest threat to this car is the CTS-V Sport or CTS-V because of the similar weight and probably similar pricing.

so you want it to be in the same price league too? Go build one of those cars you mentioned and watch the prices rocket well over 100k. I got bored and built an M5 and it was specced out to be $115k. Same thing will happen to the E63 and RS7. An RC and GS have about a $5k difference in base price. So it wouldn't be out of the question to assume the GSF starts at $67-68k, meaning a loaded GSF is maybe in the high $70s low 80s.
I see what your saying, but the GS is a 5 series competitor. This is the fire breathing version of the GS and its going to get spanked by the competition. Lexus are ALWAYS cheaper than the German competitors. Just dont want to make excuses for the car. Its either a performance dud or a marketing dud if you consider price. All in all its not going to do a whole lot to enhance the performance image of Lexus.

Like I said, if you are going to step to someone you knock the dude out. You dont push him and then get behind him. This looks like a slap fight with a guy 6" taller and who has 80 lbs on you.

DAAAMMM !!! Just looked up the torque numbers and holy ish. The GSF has no chance in hell. Funny because some of the articles are hailing it for weighing 300 lbs less than the M5. 300lbs is not going to mask 100 hp and 100 lb/ft of torque. The comparos are going to be a blood bath.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 01-07-15 at 10:32 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GSF is Finally Here - ISF Coming?