Upgrading Mark Lev Bass

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-15, 07:30 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading Mark Lev Bass

Wassup!

I am a German fanatic that has been converted! Just purchased 2010 IS F on 12/30/14. Had an 05 E46 M3 vert and it let me down. I wanted the E92 M3 so BAD, but had to choose reliabilty and get the Lex. At any rate who cares I am with a new family now. BMW u can kiss my A$!....

I have an issue with my ML sound system. I mostly listen to Hip hop and R&B and the bass is horrible. The ML speakers however are pretty clean. I would like to add some bass. I wanted something that would not take up trunk space and looks nice. I also plan to track the car every now and then (so it needs to be mounted). What are some suggestions? I just moved to ATL so I don't know of any car stereo shops beside Best buy. Not really looking to spend a lot ($500) being that I just purchased the car. Also wanted to install myself but I have installed a system in over 20 years so not sure of all the pieces I need. Besides amp (mono I am assuming), Sub+enclosure...Do I need a capicator or anything else?
Old 01-01-15, 09:04 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I am not a big fan of those huge subs people in the trunk and kiss the trunk space goodbye, plus the weight of everything.

Years ago when I had my Subaru and I put a Pioneer NAV/DVD unit in it, I wanted some bass as well.

I had this product installed, I think they only thing needed was some battery adapter with some fuse, but a stereo shop took care of it.

Here is the link, mine was a 600 and provided great bass for very little money. You can mount it under the seat if there is enough clearance or in the trunk. Doesn't take a whole lot of space and doesn't weigh a whole lot either.

Amazon.com : BOSS Audio BASS800 Amplified Subwoofer System 8-inch 800-watt : Vehicle Subwoofers : Car Electronics Amazon.com : BOSS Audio BASS800 Amplified Subwoofer System 8-inch 800-watt : Vehicle Subwoofers : Car Electronics

Here is another competitor's product:

Amazon.com : SSL LOPRO10 Amplified Subwoofer System 10-inch 1200-watt : Amp Subwoofer : Car Electronics Amazon.com : SSL LOPRO10 Amplified Subwoofer System 10-inch 1200-watt : Amp Subwoofer : Car Electronics

Last edited by 2URGSE; 01-01-15 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-01-15, 09:11 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

How was the sound quality?
Old 01-01-15, 09:20 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Originally Posted by AshyAnklez
How was the sound quality?
It was pretty damn awesome. Very clean and crisp, didn't rattle the trunk LOL This was with a 400 watts unit, and 600 watts max. I can't imagine what it will be with an 800 or 1200 watts. (Keep in mind I had upgraded speakers, and the Pioneer head unit)

Some people go with dual units, as I'm reading on Amazon.

I think the 2nd link I gave you is a better product.

I'm moving soon, and I'm going to get this setup in my 2nd car.

Just make sure to have it done in a good quality stereo shop, unless you know how to do this yourself.
Old 01-01-15, 09:24 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

Cool! I am going to check it out
Old 01-01-15, 09:26 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Cool! I am going to check it out
Would love to see photos or a video if you choose to install it.

I miss my old system.
Old 01-01-15, 09:49 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went the LC2i route with a Zed Minotaur and Morel Ultimo mounted in a 4080 box. It's an over kill with the sub but it's a liked setup. Very easy to DIY and revert back if needed. I am trying to find a picture but the photobucket mobile app sucks!
Old 01-01-15, 09:52 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

Originally Posted by kauaian
I went the LC2i route with a Zed Minotaur and Morel Ultimo mounted in a 4080 box. It's an over kill with the sub but it's a liked setup. Very easy to DIY and revert back if needed. I am trying to find a picture but the photobucket mobile app sucks!
Yeah. I would love to see the pics....
Old 01-02-15, 05:50 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

This is all I could find. Pictured is the 4080 stealth box. I like how it is molded to take up very minimal amount of trunk space.
Old 01-02-15, 06:37 AM
Sci
Driver School Candidate

The hardest part with the ML system is getting a decent signal from it for whatever sub solution you go for.

You can just use the stock sub output alone but the low pass filter is too low, while you get decent low end, you will have a hole in the mid bass frequencies. This may or may not be a big deal depending on music type and personal preference.

Additionally, at higher volumes the stock system reduces the output to the sub, so while your new amp/sub may be quite capable, it wont be getting the signal level it needs.

Hence the solutions above eg LC2i where you need to tap off both the sub and main speaker outputs. It works but its not perfect
Old 01-02-15, 06:49 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

You can boost the signal on the lc2i by bridging the inputs. It explains it in the install instructions. I had to do this because like you stated the signal was not strong enough. I can't hear any missing frequencies in my setup at all.
Old 01-02-15, 07:21 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

Is this something Best Buy can handle? Also I was looking at http://www.wickedcas.com/product.php...7&cat=6&page=1
Old 01-03-15, 08:57 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

you might want to change the eq setting on your ipod. It makes a HUGE difference. Trust me. Many have had this issue. I discovered this was the main issue and many are pretty damn happy now. Check it out. It may surprise you.
Old 01-03-15, 10:41 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Is this something Best Buy can handle? Also I was looking at http://www.wickedcas.com/product.php...7&cat=6&page=1
Nazar, makes a really nice quality box. I ran one of his boxes in my supra because it allowed me to still properly mount my targa. The downside is the air space. This will limit your choices of subwoofers.

I personally would never let someone at best buy touch my car.
Old 01-03-15, 06:31 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
you might want to change the eq setting on your ipod. It makes a HUGE difference. Trust me. Many have had this issue. I discovered this was the main issue and many are pretty damn happy now. Check it out. It may surprise you.
Wow. I will verify on my Samsung...Great thought.....Hopefully this works.

Quick Reply: Upgrading Mark Lev Bass