IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Complete Stereo Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-14, 11:11 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Complete Stereo Build

Well I finally pulled the trigger on a complete stereo build as I did in my previous is250.
I looked and looked but I could not find the information regarding the 12V power and accessory power from behind the radio.I could probe but id rather not. so, if Steve Meade or any one has any applicable info please let me know.

I considered the LC6, Bitone, RF, etc signal processors from the factory amp but was not to fond of the channel summing and was afraid I would limit the sound reproduction of my setup doing so. Thus, I decided to use the Kenwood DDX7701HD , and will use JL slash series amplifiers with Alpine type r components front and rear (Later with swap out with Focal 165 KF series), and two type r subs.

I sold alot of my R/C stuff I wasnt using and so decided to do a "budget" build. I will make sure to take pics. Cant wait I miss sound in my F bad.
Old 12-28-14, 06:01 PM
Frank1298
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ask "that boy" he did a custom build he might know
Old 12-29-14, 05:36 AM
96300NAZ
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This might sound dumb, but with going with any aftermarket HU, how will you retain function of your hvac?
Old 12-29-14, 06:47 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With a good DSP from company's like Zapco, Mosconi, Audison, Arc, etc. the signal will not be an issue at all. You could even accomplish it with a JL Cleansweep.

I don't know which is the 12V wire in the stock harness behind the dash but you can use a fuse adaptor from the passenger side fuse box. This way you are not cutting or splicing into your stock harness at all.
Old 12-29-14, 10:59 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 96300NAZ
This might sound dumb, but with going with any aftermarket HU, how will you retain function of your hvac?
I already have purchased a cd changer and will dissassemble, pull pcb, and mount behind radio.
Old 12-29-14, 11:05 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kauaian
With a good DSP from company's like Zapco, Mosconi, Audison, Arc, etc. the signal will not be an issue at all. You could even accomplish it with a JL Cleansweep.

I don't know which is the 12V wire in the stock harness behind the dash but you can use a fuse adaptor from the passenger side fuse box. This way you are not cutting or splicing into your stock harness at all.
Not that the actual "signal" would be a problem, but from analyzing and creating ESP system for many applications, just by ear (not making any form of assumption), the way the factory radio has been designed for the drivers in the vehicle I feel part or some of the spectrum is filtered further than I would like in respect to not having the capability that the excelon radio I just upgraded to from my initial specified radio will have and full manipulation of those settings. Also from experience to manipulate those settings on the fly it will be much easier to manipulate on the touch screen than on a post processor.
Old 12-29-14, 01:36 PM
96300NAZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by StealthFF
I already have purchased a cd changer and will dissassemble, pull pcb, and mount behind radio.
What do you mean? There are things that can't be done with the climate control without the onscreen controls. I know idatalink maestro rr can restore functionality into that kenwood you linked but it won't talk with the ISF.
Old 12-29-14, 01:47 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 96300NAZ
What do you mean? There are things that can't be done with the climate control without the onscreen controls. I know idatalink maestro rr can restore functionality into that kenwood you linked but it won't talk with the ISF.
I will be mounting in place of the CD changer...There are zero climate control buttons in the cd/dvd changer portion. All I need is the HVAC pcb in lower portion of the cd/dvd changer if that answers your question.
Old 12-29-14, 01:54 PM
96300NAZ
Rookie

You said you're going with the kenwood HU right? Well with factory nav how are you doing that and retaining climate control on screen. That's what I'm asking.
Old 12-29-14, 02:29 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

I will be retaining that on the main screen, eventually I will get bypass and integrate AV output to factory screen.

I will be using the Kenwood for most purely audio purposes and BT. I never really ever used the factory NAV any way. But again it will be retained on factory screen.
Old 12-29-14, 09:31 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

I'm curious if this will work. I believe you will lose your center channel though.

Either way you would have a lot better sound quality with a DSP. I understand your want to adjust settings and this can still be done for minor adjustments on your HU. Once you tune your DSP for the most part it should be good. Then like I said you make minor adjustments or save a few settings for different types of genre.
Old 12-30-14, 04:57 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

It will work unless there is something different than my 09 is350 I had previously. I have done a total of 5 of these rewires and installs. Previously I used the focal 165 K2P, JL amps, exceleon source etc with great outcome.

I have upgraded to the Excelon DNN991HD, and im (assuming which I hate doing with such background) that the Excelon deck will provide me just as good if not better outcome than a post processed sound. In respect to the factory Mark Levinson I have not found any specs nor analysis on the actual output so hard to make such claim but I understand many have been successful in integrating post processors. Also, knowing that the ML engineers designed the system architecture with the factory components in mind I have a strong feeling that the high, mids etc are missing part of the freq range in respect to no adjustment of the sort in respect to those drivers. For example, if I was to use Hertz sub-mid drivers I can assure you that I would not be able to get 40 Hz to those drivers post processed bc the factory drivers may not be able to reproduce such frequency. (raw example)

My goal with this particular build was to create the best sounding stereo I could on a budget while completing school and maintaining a family with two baby boys lol. I dont mind losing the center channel as im trying to get as realistic music reproduction using a stereo setup (2 channel) not four channel nor any form of "surround sound". I have the focal Be at home with each powered by McIntosh Mc501s with a JL Gotham woofer setup. I have tried surround sound at home and rather a 2 channel setup, thus on a budget im trying to create the same with this particular setup if that provides some background.

In reality beside the necessity to retain the function of the HVAC system via pcb in the cd/dvd changer, I look at it as integrating a self standing audio system into the F. I love performance of the F, but even more enjoy listening to great tracks to stimulate the mood.

Its just hard to assume the post processing with a DSP component would be "better" than a source unit. (Including one of the best on the market).
Old 12-30-14, 08:05 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

I don't believe there are any differences with the dash functions between the 2IS's equipped with the ML systems, so you should be golden there. I too like to mess with audio but did not want to tackle it in my ISF. I choose to just stick with an added amp and sub and disconnected the factory sub as it was already blown when I purchased my car.

If you wire the DSP correctly and utilize it to its full potential it will actually re-establish the full frequency range even being wired in post the ML processing. The route you are going sounds to be a lot easier though and will definitely still provide the SQ you are looking for.

So are you just building a front stage and sub and losing the rears? I did this in my Supra and this was by far my most favorite setup. I ran Morel Hybrid II comps, a Morel Ultimo sub, all powered by 2 Zapco DC's (1000x1 and 750x2). I really loved the built in DSP but as you stated earlier adjustments are not made easily. I had to hook up a lap top to the amps to make adjustments. They make a controller but the interface was not the best so I never installed it. I utilized the deck to make minor adjustments as needed.

Please document your install as not many have done it. Good luck and I can't wait to hear your results.
Old 12-30-14, 08:14 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kauaian
I don't believe there are any differences with the dash functions between the 2IS's equipped with the ML systems, so you should be golden there. I too like to mess with audio but did not want to tackle it in my ISF. I choose to just stick with an added amp and sub and disconnected the factory sub as it was already blown when I purchased my car.

If you wire the DSP correctly and utilize it to its full potential it will actually re-establish the full frequency range even being wired in post the ML processing. The route you are going sounds to be a lot easier though and will definitely still provide the SQ you are looking for.

So are you just building a front stage and sub and losing the rears? I did this in my Supra and this was by far my most favorite setup. I ran Morel Hybrid II comps, a Morel Ultimo sub, all powered by 2 Zapco DC's (1000x1 and 750x2). I really loved the built in DSP but as you stated earlier adjustments are not made easily. I had to hook up a lap top to the amps to make adjustments. They make a controller but the interface was not the best so I never installed it. I utilized the deck to make minor adjustments as needed.

Please document your install as not many have done it. Good luck and I can't wait to hear your results.
I too was in the same boat with my isf for TWO years now, in regards to blown sub. I held off because I knew if I began to replace I would do a complete stereo. And as its going ive already been upgrading parts and exceeding budget I initially set But, it will be worth every penny for the enjoyment I will get from it.

I will do my best to take pictures with my limited time. I will still utilize the rears. I will run Front and Rear - left, and Front and Rear - right off the same output on the JL slash series to retain volume and rear staging it will just be completely stereo. I will have them running through a "jumper" so I can disable rears quickly if I need to.

I have already uninstalled radio and door panels awaiting parts as they stream in...I have to travel for onsite automation with work next week so I hope most of parts come in before then, but yes it should be great. Only loose end im still deciding is whether I will mold side pieces for dash or source a well known local installer to fab up dependent on time as school is approaching again as well.
Old 12-30-14, 09:26 AM
96300NAZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by StealthFF
I too was in the same boat with my isf for TWO years now, in regards to blown sub. I held off because I knew if I began to replace I would do a complete stereo. And as its going ive already been upgrading parts and exceeding budget I initially set But, it will be worth every penny for the enjoyment I will get from it.

I will do my best to take pictures with my limited time. I will still utilize the rears. I will run Front and Rear - left, and Front and Rear - right off the same output on the JL slash series to retain volume and rear staging it will just be completely stereo. I will have them running through a "jumper" so I can disable rears quickly if I need to.

I have already uninstalled radio and door panels awaiting parts as they stream in...I have to travel for onsite automation with work next week so I hope most of parts come in before then, but yes it should be great. Only loose end im still deciding is whether I will mold side pieces for dash or source a well known local installer to fab up dependent on time as school is approaching again as well.
Onsite automation? Small world. I'm a plc programmer.

In regards to ML and nav, is it possible to downgrade the nav? I have the vaistech ivic and I love that I have ipod capability, but I hate having to open an app everytime in the car. I thought I might ask here simce you seem to know a great deal.

Quick Reply: Complete Stereo Build