IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Getting track ready

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-15, 11:00 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Sounds like you guys are on tracks with much much longer straights. I always go WOT on the straights. In the end with the lower braking speeds and the fact that I NEVER do a track weekend ( just track days ) Im not beating on my car as bad I guess. In fact when I do a track day I do the first and second session ( rarely do the third) and bounce. I have young kids so leaving the wife with them all day is not an option. I cant imagine any oem rotor in a car in this class that can repeated beatings from 140 mph. The issue is finding a set up that works for the street and the track, unless you have time to prep the car .

Bottom line is , how far do you want to go. My F is a DD, and I am not handy , so I am looking for an easy all around set up. Something that literally requires little to no set up or prep. Drive home from work on Friday night, and then drive to the track Saturday morning. My track prep consists of throwing a track chair, cooler, helmet, and camera in the car, check the tire pressures and head to the track. When I get home I simply wash the car and then download my video. So far stock has worked and I don't mind throwing money at some tires and windshields ( you have to pay to play . Hope you have a clear bra ) , but if you were on tracks like these other Fs I would beef up those pads, rotors and tires as well. The other option is if you are going to toss the oem stuff, might as well see how it holds up and use it. You might be surprised. Are you starting off in DE 1? Its usually relatively mellow

I was going to do an exhaust on my car but I think in light of the track days and the way they can chew up a set of the rears in no time I think Im going to get a set of track wheels and tires. Brakes have been fine so far and I still have a fresh set of Brembo rotors in a box i the garage waiting for duty.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 01-04-15 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-04-15, 08:05 PM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At VIR I would hit 143 from what my data said. And that was when I was a crappy driver. I'm sure now I can exit corners 5 -6 mph faster on the front and back straights and eclipse 150 easily. She can handle it.
Old 01-04-15, 09:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

sorry to doubt . Its just that I had been to 4 tracks and never hit speeds that high. I though I had decent exposure to different tracks. I guess they are just shorter and tighter out here.

http://www.roeblingroad.com/G09/RoeblingRoad-Map.png

pretty obvious now why there is such a difference in the top speeds. Arizona Motor sports park is a significantly more technical with shorter straights. Probably be why you guys kills brakes like I kill tires. Totally makes sense now. Even the comment about the oem tire lasting makes sense. The Bridgestones had melted edges and the shoulder blocks were slightly pulled upward when I ran them at Wild Horse pass. When you would rub the top of the tire at the edge of the sidewall you could feel the top of each block had been pulled up so that when you rub your finger it was no longer smooth and even. The Michelins held up better in that sense but wear faster but wear evenly and take the abuse without the blocks shredding , melting, or warping. The tracks I have run have much harder turns and they come much sooner than the courses you guys are running. Would be pretty cool to run the car up to 150 , but DAMN those poor brakes. With all the tighter corners I am running I am eating up those tires.

http://arizonamotorsportspark.com/

VIR is HUGE !! And look at those straights

http://virnow.com/files/2014/03/FullCourseMap2014.jpg

INDE in AZ, again shorter and more technical

http://www.indemotorsports.com/img/config3.png

WHP
http://www.racewildhorse.net/wp-cont.../WHPWestsm.jpg
http://www.racewildhorse.net/wp-cont...05/WHPMain.jpg

FONATA?AUTOCLUB RACEWAY: Look at the open length of course you can just push. AMAZING.
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...DjVyQ_zsTgjlwg

Looked at the thread started by SCCAforum and saw how well he did at Fontana and saw this as well.

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
Yeah, cars like this are always in a tough spot... the next class up is Corvette's & Porsche's... so it's either 'better than most' in one, or not as good as most in another.

I'm used to getting 'classed' as 'driver' and not as vehicle. I don't know how to 'Sand Bag'... so it is what it is.

The sad fact is... I knew that track was perfect for our cars... great brakes... and large open horsepower straights... if it were a tighter more technical track... it would have been much tougher... luckily, I have a 'real race' car that I campaign in 'it's designated' class... so I'm not to worried where they put the F later... if I come out with it again... it will be just for fun as this was.

Peace,
Dave
Gotta get my F out to one of these tracks. In this case , to the OP, I would absolutely upgrade the brake rotors and pads !!!!

Last edited by I8ABMR; 01-04-15 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-05-15, 06:40 AM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

VIR is one of the most storied tracks in the country. If you can ever get a chance to drive it i would. At my last event my instructor had a 997 GT2 street car with a european cage and we were seeing speeds of 167 on the front and back straights. I imagine if i wasn't in the car we would have eclipsed 175 ish. The radical SR8's get up to 180 there. Check out all of the major racing series that go there.
Old 01-05-15, 08:28 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I've got a set of pads and rotors on order from Sewell and I'll probably swap in the OEM front pads before I head to Barber. https://www.barbermotorsports.com/ty...ckgeometry.pdf A couple of decent straights should help me get some good speed, but again, for my purposes I'll be working finesse before bullying the car through the course. I can't remember which of you mentioned filling one side of the front tires +2-3 psi depending on track direction but barber has 3 main sweeping turns, just don't know if I'll be going left or right. My assumption is it should be the tire opposite the direction you turn since the car wants to lean away from the inside of the track at speed. Is that accurate?

Last edited by ZaxF; 01-05-15 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-05-15, 08:34 AM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zax3gs
I've got a set of pads and rotors on order from Sewell and I'll probably swap in the OEM front pads before I head to Barber.

https://www.barbermotorsports.com/ty...ckgeometry.pdf

A couple of decent straights should help me get some good speed, but again, for my purposes I'll be working finesse before bullying the car through the course.

I can't remember which of you mentioned filling one side of the front tires +2-3 psi depending on track direction but barber has 3 main sweeping turns, just doing know if I'll be going left or right. My assumption is it should be the tire opposite the direction you turn since the car wants to lean away from the inside of the track at speed. Is that accurate?
For your first track day just make sure you know what cold pressure you are starting at. And immediately after your first session take a hot reading. It's your first track day so don't get caught up in the details yet. Just make sure your hot and cold pressures are right.
Old 01-05-15, 05:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I agree with big cloud. Keep it simple , enjoy the day, work on the line, and evaluate what you think the cars strengths and weaknesses are. I think you will find she's pretty damn good. I think with the fresh rotors and pads you will be tip top . In the end its HPDE not time attack or a race so splitting hairs will probably make very little difference . What tires are you running ? Are they fresh or older? With a fresh set of the PSS my car didn't make a noise on literally the most technical course I had driven . The F is heavy so she will eat tires but she will impress .

Another heads up . With the hard braking you will find at the end of the day that the drilled holes in the rotors will get clogged with brake dust. When you get home take a small screw driver , pipe cleaner, or in my case I used a surgical spatula used to remove metal from a patients eye. It was perfect and I could clear out both the front and rear drilled holes. I figured its only going to make the system work more efficiently . Excited for you bud. You are going to have a smile on your face the whole day.
Old 01-06-15, 06:55 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Thanks for the heads up on clogged rotors, that's an interesting situation. I have PSS rubber on right now, about 12k miles on the set and they're in pretty good shape. I'll probably burn them up that weekend, as by then I'll have about 15k on them. I'm actively looking for a set of track wheels that I can swap in and out, but if I don't, meh, I'll just burn these up and get a less expensive alternative for daily duty once I get a set of track wheels and tires.
Old 01-06-15, 11:20 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I keep going back and fourth. Track wheels and tires or just keep killing tires. A good wheel and tire set up will run at least $2500 bucks. In light of the fact that Michelin will warranty your tires if they wear with the pSS before 15k miles I might just keep doing that .

btw PSS warranty is 30 k miles unless you have a staggered set up and then it drops 50% to 15k miles. I emailed them about my rears almost toasted in 4k miles and they said they will warranty them and to just take it into discount. I called discount and they said they will take care of it without going through Michelin. Always get the replacement warranty guys. Its $130 but can literally save you thousands if that set goes early and you complain
Old 01-06-15, 11:50 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

That^^, is SMART.
Old 01-06-15, 04:38 PM
BradLTL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zax3gs
I can't thank you guys enough for the wealth of information found here and the thread lobux linked in. My first track will be skip barber here in Georgia on 2/27, I'm officially signed up.

Car is in for 60k service today so all fluids will be quite fresh for the runs. I'm definitely more about learning and perfecting the line vs beating the engine and brakes into submission. I raced motorcycles for a while in my early 20's and know the importance of the line, perfect that and speed will come.

If any of you Georgia F owners are available justtrackit.net still has spots open that day and I'd love to have some company!
Do you mean at Barber Motorsports Track in Birmingham? I'm local the B'ham and may come out. Not sure if I'll participate or not yet though.
Old 01-07-15, 05:45 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

That's the one! It's definitely not in Georgia, haha. I didn't even realize I made that error until just now, I'm clearly way too excited. Just track it is still taking spots for $250 for the day.

Last edited by ZaxF; 01-07-15 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-14-15, 02:50 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Where do you guys have your GoPro mounted?
Old 01-15-15, 12:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I always mount mine on the windshield in the center. I did it to the side once and it looked like I wasnt hitting the apexes when I was. Some people mount it to the inside of the sunroof glass so you can get a view of yourself driving. My concern with that is when you drive into the sun it will go back lit and everything will bleach. There is a setting ( another member showed me ) to eliminate that but I forgot how to do it so I stick wit the old school . I saw footage once where a mustang had it mounted very low on the bumper and the video looked really nice. With the ISF the lip at the bumper where the brake cooling ducts are is not big enough ( or secure enough ) to mount a $400 camera three is my opinion. I have thought about the side of the bumper really low but my car has a clear bra and I don't want to pull it up if there is an issue with the suction when removing. Wouldn't recommend you mount it on any clear bra surface. I thought about mounting it right behind the F symbol on the front fender but then you will see less turning in the opposite direction of the side mounted . Thought about the roof but wasn't sure what kind of wind noise I would get since one of the doors for the back of the camera is made for speeds up to 100 mph and I usually break 100 mph ( not 130 like the rest of the guys on the straighter tracks ) so I didn't want it noisy over 100 or muffled below 100 mph

In the end I think center on the windshield will result in the best view overall with the lowest chance of back lighting and you will clearly hear the grunt of the engine when you down gear and it rev matches. Its like a bark or growl. I love it
Old 01-15-15, 12:49 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I mount the Go Pro on the hood. Upside down so it dangles directly in front of the L symbol in the grill. Clear bra is on the hood and no problems with the suction cup adhering.

This is what the video looks like from a track day:
Also how a ZR1 and 458 Italia can wreck an ISF on the track.

Last edited by itsmike177; 01-15-15 at 12:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Getting track ready