IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Getting track ready

Old 12-29-14, 06:55 AM
torxuvin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I would have super basic tools like a screw driver, wrench, plyers, tire gauge , and a flash light. I have never needed a damn thing though. The car is fine bone stock.

All I recommend is right after you pull off the track and your rotors are hot make sure you take 2 laps around the parking lot just rolling to let the rotors cool. I never heard of anyone cracking ISF rotors on the track other than the member you mentioned. Sounds like they may not have cooled . Some people just pull off , park it and get out. I always take a couple of cool down laps. Then as soon as you park get out and open your hood. ........and relive the moments i your head. You will be so excited to see your GoPro footage. I know you will have a great time, and you will probably find an even higher respect for what Lexus put together for us. AND after all the driving, you will just start her up, turn on some music , and cruise home in a Lexus luxury car. The duality of the F is AMAZING !!!!

ENJOY BUDDY !!
That's a good point. I probably should have driven around longer just in case. I did a cool down lap and parked near the back, but the infield at Roebling is very small and the main braking zone is 140-75 in the ISF. I never had any fade though.

Old 12-29-14, 09:05 AM
JE
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zax3gs
Hey Guys,

So I'm going to start tracking the F next year, maybe once a month or so, and I have been studying the forums for a while looking for the best track setups. As a novice I hope to get some good feedback from some of you experienced guys. Before my first day I plan to have my KWV3 installed that have been sitting in my office for two weeks and am looking to get a set of wheels and tires. Sikky headers are getting installed next week while I'm up north. So, my first question would be, as I'm looking for track wheels and tires, what have you pro's found to be the best width (front and rear) for best performance? Also, suggested tires (I doubt I'll do much drag) for best grip.

Second question, what tips or pointers do you guys have for a novice? I've been on the track before with extreme experience and run a lambo, r8, 911 turbo s, but always with an instructor and without fear of getting stuck with a fat repair bill, haha. Taking my own car brings a bit more trepidation so any advice is welcomed!

Thanks in advance!
We love it when F's get track time! Best advice I can give is work your way up to a hot lap, don't try to set a lap record out of the gate. Concentrate on being smooth. Smooth everywhere, on turn in, on the brakes, on the throttle. These are all things that will have a large impact on your lap time and are very simple to do. Avoiding upsetting the car and looking through the turn instead of right in front of your car works wonders.

Tire air pressure would be a great area to focus especially if everything else is stock. Start off with a conservative pressure when they are cool and check them as soon as you can after pulling off the track. If your seeing anything above 40 psi hot it would be best to drop your cool pressure setting accordingly. A lot of this will depend on what tire you end up going with though and what your getting from the car ie under steer/over steer.

What track are you going to frequent?

Hope this helps!!!
Old 12-29-14, 10:52 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,835 Likes on 2,324 Posts

You might want to check this thread. There are some helpful hints there.

Even more help here from a long time instructor.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 12-29-14 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-29-14, 02:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by JE
We love it when F's get track time! Best advice I can give is work your way up to a hot lap, don't try to set a lap record out of the gate. Concentrate on being smooth. Smooth everywhere, on turn in, on the brakes, on the throttle. These are all things that will have a large impact on your lap time and are very simple to do. Avoiding upsetting the car and looking through the turn instead of right in front of your car works wonders.

Tire air pressure would be a great area to focus especially if everything else is stock. Start off with a conservative pressure when they are cool and check them as soon as you can after pulling off the track. If your seeing anything above 40 psi hot it would be best to drop your cool pressure setting accordingly. A lot of this will depend on what tire you end up going with though and what your getting from the car ie under steer/over steer.

What track are you going to frequent?

Hope this helps!!!
I agree. Very good advice. Most people, including me, want to learn, but as soon as we hear that motor we want to push as hard as we can. After my second track day I told myself I am going to bring the intesity down a notch and just work on my line. Thats why my IDE footage doesnt look so crazy. Between the new PSS tires that didnt squeal and the 8-9/10ths driving the footage seems almost mellow. Work on your line, smooth inputs, late braking, clipping the apex, chose your own line ( dont follow the dude infront of you like we do on the streets ), and remember to look further ahead. I also recommend checking out other driving the same track on YouTube. I always study the track layout a bit before my track days. Makes hitting a new track easier and you know what to expect.

HAVE A GREAT TIME BUDDY !!!!
Old 12-29-14, 02:51 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I can't thank you guys enough for the wealth of information found here and the thread lobux linked in. My first track will be skip barber here in Georgia on 2/27, I'm officially signed up.

Car is in for 60k service today so all fluids will be quite fresh for the runs. I'm definitely more about learning and perfecting the line vs beating the engine and brakes into submission. I raced motorcycles for a while in my early 20's and know the importance of the line, perfect that and speed will come.

If any of you Georgia F owners are available justtrackit.net still has spots open that day and I'd love to have some company!
Old 12-29-14, 03:21 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Nice one zach, hope u enjoying the intake for the track..lol its like u cant feel the difference...i'll probably going to track my F sometime next year. Never been to a real track other boring straight
1/8th mile..
Old 12-30-14, 09:15 AM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some pictures to give you motivation. This my progression from slowest to fastest. You can do it!

350z at Summit Point

IS-F @ VIR

95 BMW M3 Race Car NASA GTS2/3 @ VIR & Summit Point

Skakedown at VIR first time in race car at that track.

IS-F @ VIR

Old 12-30-14, 10:15 AM
Isfast
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I have been tracking cars for the better part of 15 years. Progression (as everyone has stated) is the key. The ISF is pretty damn good out of the box. I kept it stock for nearly a year. My final configuration was:

KWV3 on full stiff front and rear.
18" Enkei with 275 (square setup) NT01
Rear Sikky sway on medium
Joe Z Exhaust
Carbotech 10s all around
Castrol SRF Brake Fluid
Rotors from Amazon

Road Atlanta:

Old 12-30-14, 05:24 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Isfast
My final configuration was: 18" Enkei with 275 (square setup) NT01
What width did you go with for your wheels?

Last edited by ZaxF; 12-30-14 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-30-14, 06:15 PM
Isfast
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

What width did you go with for your wheels?
18 x 9..........
Old 12-31-14, 09:58 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Here's some more motivational shots
Attached Thumbnails Getting track ready-image-2856046794.png   Getting track ready-image-3222549664.png   Getting track ready-image-3359591386.png  
Old 12-31-14, 10:01 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Isfast
I have been tracking cars for the better part of 15 years. Progression (as everyone has stated) is the key. The ISF is pretty damn good out of the box. I kept it stock for nearly a year. My final configuration was:

KWV3 on full stiff front and rear.
18" Enkei with 275 (square setup) NT01
Rear Sikky sway on medium
Joe Z Exhaust
Carbotech 10s all around
Castrol SRF Brake Fluid
Rotors from Amazon

Road Atlanta:

Man I am loving the shot of your car in front of the NSX and the GT3. VERY COOL . Have you ever thought of blowing it and framing in the garage. 20x30 prints are $9 at costco and 20x30 frames are $15. That shot is worth $24 and far more in my book. Very nice
Old 12-31-14, 11:35 AM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I8ABMR that's a GT3 RS. The model before the big boy GT3 RSR.
Old 12-31-14, 03:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bigcloud
I8ABMR that's a GT3 RS. The model before the big boy GT3 RSR.
I knew . I was just being general. We have guy in AZ with the exact same car ( same color combo ) who hits Cars & Coffee every month . Beautiful and probably one of the purest performance cars you can buy. The sound they make at WOT is intoxicating.
Old 01-01-15, 11:48 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,835 Likes on 2,324 Posts

I can't thank you guys enough for the wealth of information found here and the thread lobux linked in. My first track will be skip barber here in Georgia on 2/27, I'm officially signed up.

Car is in for 60k service today so all fluids will be quite fresh for the runs. I'm definitely more about learning and perfecting the line vs beating the engine and brakes into submission. I raced motorcycles for a while in my early 20's and know the importance of the line, perfect that and speed will come.

If any of you Georgia F owners are available justtrackit.net still has spots open that day and I'd love to have some company!
I have not run Barber, but be absolutely certain you get insurance to run there. If you go off there, you will be paying for damage to the track, and they will not let you leave until you settle with them. They're known for being difficult about this, so be sure you have insurance to cover damage to the track.

I'd like to put an AMP day together for Georgia F owners. AMP is close and is a lot of fun.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting track ready