Getting track ready

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-14, 09:59 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Getting track ready

Hey Guys,

So I'm going to start tracking the F next year, maybe once a month or so, and I have been studying the forums for a while looking for the best track setups. As a novice I hope to get some good feedback from some of you experienced guys. Before my first day I plan to have my KWV3 installed that have been sitting in my office for two weeks and am looking to get a set of wheels and tires. Sikky headers are getting installed next week while I'm up north. So, my first question would be, as I'm looking for track wheels and tires, what have you pro's found to be the best width (front and rear) for best performance? Also, suggested tires (I doubt I'll do much drag) for best grip.

Second question, what tips or pointers do you guys have for a novice? I've been on the track before with extreme experience and run a lambo, r8, 911 turbo s, but always with an instructor and without fear of getting stuck with a fat repair bill, haha. Taking my own car brings a bit more trepidation so any advice is welcomed!

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-27-14, 10:35 AM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off congrats on attempting to track your ISF. It's very fun and rewarding to begin to learn how to drive.

Second off I would not install those coilovers before you start tracking the car. I would learn the car stock first then add mods once the "driver mod" improves.

I've been doing HPDE's for years and also own a BMW race car. This is the right approach to take.
Old 12-27-14, 11:37 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Thanks! I'll hold off on the install of coilovers for a few runs and see how the car performs. I'm stoked to get out there, I've always had a passion for racing just never really had the time (or car) to get out there and do it.
Old 12-27-14, 12:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigcloud
First off congrats on attempting to track your ISF. It's very fun and rewarding to begin to learn how to drive.

Second off I would not install those coilovers before you start tracking the car. I would learn the car stock first then add mods once the "driver mod" improves.

I've been doing HPDE's for years and also own a BMW race car. This is the right approach to take.
+1. The car in stock form is very competent and forgiving. Changing it before learning what the factory did when you are a newbie to track driving is a recipe for very bad things - you'll learn bad habits, and you'll blame the settings on the coilovers before you question your driving technique when it surely needs to be the other way around.
Old 12-27-14, 01:25 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

I8amb (i think, froam Az) track his car all the time, from i read on the forum, he went to all track racing in arizona. He can chime here for sure..
i want to track mine too next year, i only have swift spring installed...
Old 12-27-14, 02:23 PM
bbong
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I started tracking with 450whp STI and believe me, I wish it was stock. After I sold the STI and bought an Evo, I kept it only bolt-on + tune, was a very competent car at the track, I actually enjoyed it a lot more than the STI. Now that Evo is on its way out and I took possession of '11 ISF first thing I'm doing with it is tracking it. It's winter here so I have to wait until first event of April '15, but as others said, keep it stock, it's so much fun, until you outgrow it then work on brakes, suspension, safety devices and lastly, power.

Also, instructors repeat this over and over. The problem is between the steering wheel and the seat, not the car especially one that was meant to go fast around corners, so the chances are that the car can do more than you, improve on the problem and you'll be faster, better and safer driver.

Things you want for the track to be ready are:
1) Try to have fresh fluids - with 4cyls I was running racing oils Amsoil or Brad-Penn high zinc and phosphorus
2) At least 30% of tire tread left
3) Everything in the engine bay has to be mounted and not lose
4) Have about 30-40% of brake pads left
5) Don't pack your car with unnecessary things, inspectors want your car free of any lose parts

Things do go bad at times, I've had a spun rod bearing, boiled brake fluid and plenty of blown Intercooler couplers, but having a jack, some tools, extra fluids can get you on the road again quick and folks who usually attend these events are great and always willing to help out.

Last edited by bbong; 12-27-14 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-27-14, 02:43 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigcloud

Best advice anyone could have given! The iSF is a very capable vehicle.
Old 12-27-14, 02:50 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

If possible I would track on the standard tires before going out and getting better ones. Good tires will mask mistakes made by novice drivers. I also agree with going out stock as possible without going too crazy with the mods. What about putting on F Sport sway bars? Those are easy to install. Definately do a tech inspection as required by your HPDE. You will probably have to bleed the brakes.
Old 12-27-14, 03:24 PM
torxuvin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
If possible I would track on the standard tires before going out and getting better ones. Good tires will mask mistakes made by novice drivers. I also agree with going out stock as possible without going too crazy with the mods. What about putting on F Sport sway bars? Those are easy to install. Definately do a tech inspection as required by your HPDE. You will probably have to bleed the brakes.
+1 I rode in my instructors cars with slicks. They swore up and down that it's best to wait on serious tires.

I did my first event weekend completely stock. It wasn't until late the first day that I started getting clean lines and understeer out of the car. In fact it rained the entire second day which was...interesting... I managed to crack both oem front rotors all the way through. I may not be the best giver of advice (as I immediately asked for springs and sways for christmas) but, like they mentioned, the car is very capable stock. I only got passed by a cammed Z06 and two dedicated track cars the whole time. I just couldn't stand the body roll. It got distracting to the point in a few of the corners and transitions that I was losing rhythm. Tracking the car was one of the best things I've done. It's so much harder than you expect, but you won't believe the confidence you feel driving every day afterwords.
Old 12-27-14, 04:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Right on !! Another F on the track. I have been out 4 times for far within the first year of ownership and have a 5th planned before the first full year is complete. I have run the car 100% stock minus the F sport rear sway bar. Stock size PSS and racing helmet is all I have purchased. It is addictive. The car holds up INSANELY WELL to track driving bone stock. My Brembos have never faded,not even after 9-10 laps. The oil temps is where you need to watch. It will climb pretty damn fast so I wouldnt recommend running the car past 85 degree ambient temps. The tires will take the biggest brunt of the abuse , then the brakes. If you are a member of CL then you get the "silly parts price" from Sewell Lexus. I ordered up spare pads and rotors and have only needed to replace the front pads ( last owner didnt do it. It wasnt the track ). Just in case I have a set of oem Brembo rotors waiting for duty. I am considering doing a second set of wheels and tires but considering the 2k investment plus the fact that I always end up with sets of wheels from cars I longer own I may just continue to buy up oem size tires and running them.

Get yourself
1. Track chair- something with the sun shade. Walmart has them for less than $40 and the weight capacity is up to 250 lbs
2. Track bag- to hold some water, quart of oil, some basic tools, flash light, and your GoPro ( I would recommend one )
3. M or SA rated helmet. ( check with the organization you run with ). M rated are cheaper
4. Make sure to empty your car and trunk of anything not bolted or tied down
5. Sunscreen - you will usually be waiting about 60-90 minutes between sessions
6. Harry Lap timer- Very cool app that will turn your phone into a transponder with video overlay. IT WILL BLOW YOUR MIND FOR $19
7. Show up early
8. Good attitude and willingness to learn. I have never et anyone in any car no matter how high end who didnt think they had something to learn.

Members like Lobux are more well schooled if you want to swap parts out for aftermarket . For me , surprisingly, bone stock is totally fine. And I mean it. With a good set of tires this car will handle surprisingly neutral and can be pushed into oversteer. Even the understeer that the car had on the street with the stock rear bar was 100% gone on the track. It was very well designed.......very well designed. This car will actually surprise you on the track. Every time I get off the track I still find myself thinking , Damn !! I still cant believe I can drive this thing to and from work everyday and still do the stuff I just did on the track. Its got the total package.
Old 12-28-14, 08:32 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

^^thank you for this! I'm looking forward to reporting back how my first event goes and posting a video. Wife got me a gopro along with the membership, she even thought about getting me tires, what a lady! I've got a good friend that works at Lexus so I'll hit him up for the spare parts you mentioned, especially seeing that Torx broke a rotor, yikes! As far as a tool bag, what do you guys recommend filling it with? I would guess whatever is needed to change pads, rotors, etc, but is there anything else that might come up?
Old 12-28-14, 05:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I would have super basic tools like a screw driver, wrench, plyers, tire gauge , and a flash light. I have never needed a damn thing though. The car is fine bone stock.

All I recommend is right after you pull off the track and your rotors are hot make sure you take 2 laps around the parking lot just rolling to let the rotors cool. I never heard of anyone cracking ISF rotors on the track other than the member you mentioned. Sounds like they may not have cooled . Some people just pull off , park it and get out. I always take a couple of cool down laps. Then as soon as you park get out and open your hood. ........and relive the moments i your head. You will be so excited to see your GoPro footage. I know you will have a great time, and you will probably find an even higher respect for what Lexus put together for us. AND after all the driving, you will just start her up, turn on some music , and cruise home in a Lexus luxury car. The duality of the F is AMAZING !!!!

ENJOY BUDDY !!
Old 12-28-14, 05:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by zax3gs
^^thank you for this! I'm looking forward to reporting back how my first event goes and posting a video. Wife got me a gopro along with the membership, she even thought about getting me tires, what a lady! I've got a good friend that works at Lexus so I'll hit him up for the spare parts you mentioned, especially seeing that Torx broke a rotor, yikes! As far as a tool bag, what do you guys recommend filling it with? I would guess whatever is needed to change pads, rotors, etc, but is there anything else that might come up?
sounds like my wife. We got the special ones that understand us Those arent too common. LOL
Old 12-29-14, 04:20 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang! I love reading threads like this even though I know longer own an ISF...I never got the chance to track mine (regret that) but recently got a chance to put my Porsche Twin Turbo on the track at Sebring and it was friggin awesome...you guys keep "representing" the ISF as I think these cars are still awesome!

BTW...saw my first two (blue and white) RCF's at duPont Registry Cars & Coffee this past weekend and I was not thrilled by the overall look of this car I think I actually liked the lines of MYISF better...oh well "to each his own" as they say.
Old 12-29-14, 06:41 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I never needed any tools, however, I still had a bag of basics like I8ABMR stated to bring. I always did my brakes prior to heading up to the track. I also brought extra brake fluid and oil but never needed it. If you are doing a multiple day event I would definitely bring tools and fluids. The first event I did my instructor always made me take a lap through the parking lot and down the road to cool off the brakes.

Like you my wife also got me a Go Pro for Christmas! She also gave me the ok to purchase new wheels because she curbed one of mine. I would agree that we are lucky.

Enjoy the car and post some footage! I was thinking about taking the car for spin in the snow to try my Go Pro out. That might make for some cool footage.

Quick Reply: Getting track ready