IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Fuel smell '08 ISF

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-14, 07:16 PM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fuel smell '08 ISF

Today while leaving work my car was giving off a strong fuel smell. Wife noticed the garage stunk of gasoline when she got home.
I removed the engine cover just now, and ran the car and checked for any leaks around the fuel rail area, but didn't notice anything.
Anyone else notice a fuel smell on their car? I see Lexus has a recall for this issue, and says "should bring their car to the dealer immediately" but there is no current fix for this recall..?

Not too happy with my ISF today
Old 12-22-14, 07:50 PM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

from the recall notice i got there is a fix for it. Just take it in and the dealer will take care of you.
Old 12-22-14, 08:47 PM
hgill02
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm dropping mine off tomorrow morning for two recalls, one the fuel pressure sensor thing, not sure about the what the other recall is. Called for this recall and she ran my vin and said there was a second recall (will inquire at drop off). I'll let ya know how it goes.

So called dealer back this morning after reading all the threads. Spoke to a different person who stated that there indeed is no fix at the moment. He wasn't sure why the person previously told me otherwise. I'm wait and see what happens in the coming months.

If your car does indeed smell of gas I would take it in and have them check it at least to ensure you don't have a gas leak.

Last edited by hgill02; 12-23-14 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-22-14, 08:57 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Hope they can fix it right and get you back in business.
Old 12-22-14, 11:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggu
from the recall notice i got there is a fix for it. Just take it in and the dealer will take care of you.
There is no fix yet. The notifications are to let you know they are working on a fix, but none is available yet.

If your car smells like gasoline, you need to find out why before it explodes. One errant spark and you could have a pretty big barbeque on your hands. The car is not safe to drive in this condition.
Old 12-23-14, 12:56 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

I'm running 0 cats, ZERO. I think thats the reason for my fuel smell though.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 12-23-14, 04:23 AM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

I'm going to call the dealer today and see what they will do for me..
-- anyone know where the leak specified in the recall is supposed to be from? "Fuel sensor" are we talking fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rails on the engine, or the level sensor in the fuel tank?

Last edited by BLKLBL; 12-23-14 at 04:27 AM.
Old 12-23-14, 04:29 AM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Originally Posted by joshhleee
I'm running 0 cats, ZERO. I think thats the reason for my fuel smell though.
I had a 77 Datsun 280z a couple years ago.. Had no cats.. That raw exhaust smell is different from the raw gasoline vapour smell that I'm experiencing currently
Old 12-23-14, 09:19 AM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has a pretty strong gas odor too, I am running no cats but I notice it in the mid area of my car after spirited driving when I get out of the car its pretty apparent. I'm not sure if its my exhaust because I am usually in open air and my car is shut off by the time I get out of the car, pretty interesting though. Maybe I'll swing it by. If it is leaking, will they basically give me a loaner for weeks potentially until a fix is found or its figured out?
Old 12-23-14, 10:56 AM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Called the dealer.. They want me to tow it in, on my expense, and then diagnose it, on my expense.

The service advisor on the phone said she was unaware of any recalls for fuel smell on any Lexus vehicles, except the RX.

I mentioned safety recall E2F and she was totally unaware of anything relating to that. (Lexus of Canada obviously has no communication with Lexus of USA)

So I'm going to see if I can replicate this fuel smell again today, and see if I can pinpoint what's going on
Old 12-23-14, 11:31 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKLBL
Called the dealer.. They want me to tow it in, on my expense, and then diagnose it, on my expense.

The service advisor on the phone said she was unaware of any recalls for fuel smell on any Lexus vehicles, except the RX.

I mentioned safety recall E2F and she was totally unaware of anything relating to that. (Lexus of Canada obviously has no communication with Lexus of USA)

So I'm going to see if I can replicate this fuel smell again today, and see if I can pinpoint what's going on
Your dealer's SA is an idiot. A car smelling of raw gasoline then going up in flames isn't good for the brand.
Old 12-23-14, 11:52 AM
s4chico
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Your dealer's SA is an idiot. A car smelling of raw gasoline then going up in flames isn't good for the brand.
BINGO!!!
Old 12-23-14, 01:53 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
haha so true, great SA.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 12-23-14, 03:01 PM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Unfortunately this kind of service is almost commonplace here in northern Alberta lately. There are more available jobs than people to fill them, so quality customer service is hard to find.
Old 12-23-14, 11:52 PM
James7
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKLBL
Unfortunately this kind of service is almost commonplace here in northern Alberta lately. There are more available jobs than people to fill them, so quality customer service is hard to find.

You're not alone, CA has some of these too...

Quick Reply: Fuel smell '08 ISF