IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

What's with the mice

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-14, 04:27 PM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yet another reason to winter drive the car instead of storing!
Old 12-23-14, 08:38 PM
artig
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately mothballs are banned here (and apparently in all the EU), since they are poisonous and young children can get seriously ill or die if they eat them. Does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative? I've had problems with mice and rats on several vehicles, but fortunately not on the IS F yet.
Old 12-23-14, 08:55 PM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

When I was fresh out of high school I used to sell cars, and there was some customers looking at one of the sports cars on the lot. They asked me to open the hood and a freaking giant rat leaped out of the engine bay. I screamed like a little pansy and the people immediately left because they thought the rat probably chewed on the wiring lol awkward
Old 12-24-14, 01:31 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by artig
Unfortunately mothballs are banned here (and apparently in all the EU), since they are poisonous and young children can get seriously ill or die if they eat them. Does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative? I've had problems with mice and rats on several vehicles, but fortunately not on the IS F yet.
The one I use is not a tradional mothball, but a slab shaped product marketed under the name Vapona , but I would guess can also be eaten by kids (senseless to ban stuff for this reason, because kids can eat anything. It is actually the job of grown-ups to keep it in a safe place).
I also read that stuff like baby powder and/or peppermint drops do the same job to keep mice away, but I haven't tried it.
A friend from the UK showed me a battery powered device once, which emits a sound not audible to the human ear, but excruciating to the ears of mice and quaranteed to keep them away. I'll try to find it on the internet, cause at that time it looked like a wonderful solution.
Old 12-24-14, 10:58 PM
artig
Driver School Candidate

Thanks nipponbird. I have some of those high-frequency pest deterrents, but they are plugged into the mains. And don't seem to be very effective, as I have caught rats in a cage set up almost right next to one ot them. I haven't seen any battery-powered ones.

Vapona is or was apparently available here as insect strips, but I haven't yet found a source for slabs of the stuff. Maybe I'll have to try the peppermint drops.

I think part of the reason for banning mothballs was that they are used in confined spaces where they can generate poisonous fumes, they are used in locations that children have ready access to, and that their smell and taste are attractive to children.
Old 12-25-14, 12:17 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by artig
Thanks nipponbird. I have some of those high-frequency pest deterrents, but they are plugged into the mains. And don't seem to be very effective, as I have caught rats in a cage set up almost right next to one ot them. I haven't seen any battery-powered ones.

Vapona is or was apparently available here as insect strips, but I haven't yet found a source for slabs of the stuff. Maybe I'll have to try the peppermint drops.

I think part of the reason for banning mothballs was that they are used in confined spaces where they can generate poisonous fumes, they are used in locations that children have ready access to, and that their smell and taste are attractive to children.
If you can find the Vapona strips, go for it, they do the job quite smartly as well.
Old 11-08-15, 07:04 AM
hdoerr
Driver School Candidate

I know this is an old thread, but I was in search of rodent remedies, and like the mothball idea. I have set them up in my garage, and balsam fir sachets in the car. I would like to place some mothballs under the hood, for added effect, but cannot find a good place to put one of those Enoz pouches.

Any thoughts?

Thanks a bunch!
Old 11-08-15, 04:24 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I've found these blue cubes of rat poison at Home Depot and they worked great. I used to find rat droppings on my engine (not the F thankfully) and started using these. The droppings eventually started turning blue and then stopped all together. I can only assume the rat died in some lonely alley.

Old 11-08-15, 06:45 PM
eddyisf
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

my friend i have 80k miles and have changed my filter 4 times ...never had a problem maybe you should hire an exterminator to neutralize the problem or get a cat lmao
Old 11-08-15, 07:00 PM
INTMD8
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

I put dryer sheets in all the cars I store for the winter. In the exhaust, interior and engine compartment. No issues as of yet but I also sealed up the garages as well as I could.

Some say the dryer sheets work, others have said they had mice make nests out of them. Worse case scenario your car smells good.

I won't put poison out due to the possibility of secondary poisoning of cats/hawks/owls/etc that may be in the area.