IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

What's with the mice

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-14, 01:39 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What's with the mice

Today started doing my 60 k. Changed my cabin air filter and yet again another mouse has been in my blower. At each 20k service I have had an eaten air filter. You would think lexus would make it harder for a mouse to get into the blower. Frustrated with rodents and poor design
Old 12-20-14, 01:42 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

This is the best post I've seen on this forum thus far.
Old 12-20-14, 01:50 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

3 mice eaten by the F.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 12-20-14, 03:45 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

No mice I use a trackball. j/k Seriously, think about putting some type of wire mesh to block.
Old 12-20-14, 08:22 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you serious?!
Old 12-21-14, 12:44 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by darbs242
Today started doing my 60 k. Changed my cabin air filter and yet again another mouse has been in my blower. At each 20k service I have had an eaten air filter. You would think lexus would make it harder for a mouse to get into the blower. Frustrated with rodents and poor design
There are related threads, but I will repeat what I've recommended on those: Try the stuff you buy for wardrobes that keeps moths etc away. Hang it under the hood etc., mice, it seems hate the smell and stay away.
Old 12-21-14, 02:59 AM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Wouldn't you end up getting that smell in the cabin though?
Old 12-21-14, 06:42 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lmood
Wouldn't you end up getting that smell in the cabin though?
I never noticed it, but I hang it in the left front corner of my RX's engine compartment, where it is not directly in front of a ventilation air intake.
Old 12-21-14, 08:09 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

where do you park your car? How the heck can they get into the garage? Sounds like you might need to set some traps or seal up the holes allowing them into the garage. If thats not possible then I would try to put a screen where they enter into the car.
Old 12-21-14, 08:54 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
where do you park your car? How the heck can they get into the garage? Sounds like you might need to set some traps or seal up the holes allowing them into the garage. If thats not possible then I would try to put a screen where they enter into the car.
My experience with mice is that they can ruin a Porsche Cayenne overnight and make a mockery of the most skilled German engineer. Where they come from and how they get into a car is also a complete mystery. They once eaten through the printed circuit board of the instrument panel of my wife's car, nobody at the dealers could work out why the rev counter doesn't want to work, until they pulled the dash board. In that particular car I set mouse traps overnight and stop counting at twelve mice caught. It was then that a guy from the UK gave me the tip about the moth repellent and I haven't seen mice in one of my cars since.
Also don't leave food morsels or plastic bottled water in the car. Please also believe me: it has nothing to do with how hygienic you are. Mice don't care whether you're a hillbilly or Mr Monk. In winter they are attracted by the warm engine of your parked car after the daily drive - they're looking for a place to nest and the beauty for them is the myriad of nesting material like the stuff used in sound insulation and of course the upholstery. With luck the kids might have dropped something from McDonalds and there you go.
Old 12-21-14, 04:30 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My car is in a old cold storage garage in the winter. Not going to seal that thing up 100% in the summer it's in a carport and I'm out driving it all the time. Inside of my car is showroom clean all the time. So it's not food their after.
Old 12-21-14, 08:43 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Do i hear BBQ ? lolz ahahahahha
Old 12-22-14, 02:29 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your mice problem. Rodents can do more damage than a human vandal. I had a rat crawl up my vent and die before(on a hot summer day). Smelt like I was in an episode of the Walking Dead. My other car has been sitting for sometime and I just checked it a few weeks ago, popped the hood and found this. I knew I should kept that freakin valve cover on!

Yah I read also mothballs and sheets of fabric softener work under the hood to keep rodents out. Seems to be working after I cleaned up that mess.

Last edited by Fsport2UR; 12-22-14 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-22-14, 03:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

you can always adopt a few cats . LOL.

all jokes aside Im sorry about the drama. Seems like they are silent little vandals.
Old 12-22-14, 04:12 PM
lifethinkr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so I take it the mouse wasn't in the cabin filter area when you changed it. you're lucky. if the mouse gets trapped in the squirrel cage blower area and dies, you will NEVER get the smell out. just gotta get used to it. I would get some cats.

Quick Reply: What's with the mice