IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF Purchase Advice

Old 12-17-14, 07:57 AM
VDODSON
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ISF Purchase Advice

Hi,

I am new to the forum and a current BRZ owner, and decided six months ago to trade in my vehicle due to lack of space and power. Great car, but not as a daily driver. I was torn between a BMW 335i or a G37, but a buddy turned me on to ISF's, and after a test drive of one I have made up my mind to purchase one.

My current budget is $38,000, and would like a model with less than 60K miles with a remaining warranty as well. I have been looking at the below linked option, and was hoping to get your thoughts on it. I live in Grand Forks ND, and the selection of vehicles is garbage, and most nice cars involve a road trip just to test drive.

My current vehicle is financed, and the KBB value is about $2K below what I owe. Should I wait until I'm not upside down and then trade in, or add the residual to new loan? I have an issue with making impulsive decisions, and know I should probably just wait until no longer upside down. Thanks in advance, the folks on this site tend to be more easygoing and mature unlike the G37 335i forums.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...5678/overview/
Old 12-17-14, 08:08 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

This may help you. Looks Clean.

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=DON_0

http://vinfreecheck.com/vin/JTHBP262885003458

Look at Complaints on 2nd link.

And it could be a Certified Lexus Vehicle here:

http://autos.nytimes.com/15229-JTHBP...gOverview.aspx

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 12-17-14 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-17-14, 08:25 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

rolling more negative equity into a more expensive car is not a smart move financially
Old 12-17-14, 11:08 AM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Odds are the vehicle you want you're going to have to travel for. I had the same issue here in Denver area. This being a limited production vehicle it is going to make it hard to find 'the one' locally especially when in colder climates they are few and far between. Unless you live in places like Cali, AZ or TX then you're going to be traveling to look. Best thing I can recommend is if you find one, ask someone locally to look at it for you. They will know what to look for ect so you're not wasting time and money traveling to be disappointed. I had that problem when searching for mine. I used the S2000 boards to have other users in that area look at it for me and see if it was even worth the time and money to look at it myself. If you do find one that does strike your interest most dealers will allow you to place a refundable deposit to hold the vehicle so it doesn't sell from under you while you're in the process of arranging travel ect.
Old 12-17-14, 11:24 AM
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as a current owner of a mercury F, i say do it, they look fantastic. BRZ's/FRS' are slow and the current ricer 'it' car.
Old 12-17-14, 11:30 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

like others and you have mentioned, you'll probably have to travel or ship one to you. if you find one via carmax, they can ship it to a carmax of your choice for a small fee. i actually found mine through them for a great deal; i was just willing to overlook a few cosmetic blemishes for the right price and low miles. also, it drove straight, clean carfax, etc. i had mine shipped between carmax' w/in CA, just under 40 miles so no charge. it also took over 5 months for me to find the right one of my liking so be patient and you should find one w/ your parameters.

re: your current loan and adding that to your new purchase, i would advice against that. but at the same time if you know you can afford the isf and you find the right one, that's up to you if it's worth it. good luck w/ your search.
Old 12-17-14, 12:18 PM
VDODSON
Driver

Thanks for the info, good to know. The second link, are those complaints just for that specific vehicle, or for the model?

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
This may help you. Looks Clean.

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=DON_0

http://vinfreecheck.com/vin/JTHBP262885003458

Look at Complaints on 2nd link.

And it could be a Certified Lexus Vehicle here:

http://autos.nytimes.com/15229-JTHBP...gOverview.aspx

Lou
Old 12-17-14, 12:53 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

That is for the IS models..
Old 12-17-14, 01:09 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Everything the rest of the gang mentioned, in addition, on that budget you're looking at a 2008 or 2009 ISF, unless it's a newer year with higher mileage, like this one:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...82521221&Log=0

I would go for a 2011, due to the suspension changes and interior changes.

On most 2011's, you're looking at high 40's, if you want to save a bit more money, but of course that's your call.

One thing to keep in mind, and I'm talking from personal experience test driving numerous ISF's and looking for the right car for a while, until I bought mine new is:

There is usually very little room to negotiate on this car. Being that it is the end of the year, that may work out in your favor, but don't rush, make sure to test drive and check everything.

Good luck.
Old 12-17-14, 02:10 PM
VDODSON
Driver

Great advice, thank you.
Old 12-18-14, 01:29 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd probably wait until you've got your finances straightened out on the BRZ, but that's just me.

As others have mentioned, if the right car comes up, and you know you can still pay your bills/eat etc, then go for it!

The later models do offer some nice improvements (mainly handling - better suspension, mechanical LSD), but it depends on your budget, and future plans really. The later models command higher prices over here in the UK, hence I went for a low mileage 2008 model.

I will get round to fitting uprated coilovers and a proper LSD, so the difference in specification will be minimal by the time I'm finished with it.

I'd recommend getting Xmas and New Year out the way first. Then do an exercise to see if your finances can handle the repayments, higher insurance, bigger fuel bills........

Best of luck with it chap.
Old 12-18-14, 04:50 AM
VDODSON
Driver

Cheers mate. Lived in England for two years, and still kicking myself for not buying a Skyline when I had the chance.

Originally Posted by PDP180180
I'd probably wait until you've got your finances straightened out on the BRZ, but that's just me.

As others have mentioned, if the right car comes up, and you know you can still pay your bills/eat etc, then go for it!

The later models do offer some nice improvements (mainly handling - better suspension, mechanical LSD), but it depends on your budget, and future plans really. The later models command higher prices over here in the UK, hence I went for a low mileage 2008 model.

I will get round to fitting uprated coilovers and a proper LSD, so the difference in specification will be minimal by the time I'm finished with it.

I'd recommend getting Xmas and New Year out the way first. Then do an exercise to see if your finances can handle the repayments, higher insurance, bigger fuel bills........

Best of luck with it chap.
Old 12-18-14, 06:15 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by VDODSON
Cheers mate. Lived in England for two years, and still kicking myself for not buying a Skyline when I had the chance.
Nice

Yeah, do love the R34 GTR (still 4 proper seats, RB26 DETT, permanent 4WD etc), but prices over here are really strong for them.

Did consider one instead of the ISF, but there were none around in my budget at the time.

Best of luck with whatever you decide chap.
Old 12-26-14, 06:59 PM
VDODSON
Driver

About to pull the trigger on this one. What do you guys think? Anyone in the area available to take a look at it? Would gladly pay you for your time.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...82597999&Log=0
Old 12-27-14, 10:24 AM
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks good, any way you can get a PPI done?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ISF Purchase Advice