IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Clutch Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-14, 08:20 AM
abohler
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Upgrade

Has anyone done a clutch upgrade or have suggestions for a good place to start? I'm turning up spray and running a standalone with race fuel. Wondering if I am going to start reaching the limits of the transmission.
Old 12-16-14, 08:40 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as I know no one has done any upgraded to the transmission

Don't think anyone knows what the limit for these transmissions are also
Old 12-16-14, 09:32 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think it's needed. I remember reading a few members running a 150 shot for years and not have a single issue.

Standalone? Have you started the install? I am curious how it will run and what features you will lose. Keep us posted.
Old 12-16-14, 10:06 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by abohler
Has anyone done a clutch upgrade or have suggestions for a good place to start? I'm turning up spray and running a standalone with race fuel. Wondering if I am going to start reaching the limits of the transmission.
How are you running race fuel in the system?

Since you can't run a tune to adjust the timing for the high octane, how are you gaining much?

Also, have you check the wear and tear due to the race fuel? Thats certainly raising the engine temp. Did you change thermostats?
Old 12-16-14, 10:44 AM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer

Since you can't run a tune to adjust the timing for the high octane, how are you gaining much?

Also, have you check the wear and tear due to the race fuel? Thats certainly raising the engine temp. Did you change thermostats?
I think he means he has a standalone fuel cell with a pump for high octane fuel. This is common for nitrous systems, especially for larger shots.

High octane fuel is sometimes used simply for a safety feature, not necessarily to gain power. The higher the octane the more stable the fuel will be (aka resistant to detonation)

I've never heard of race fuel causing higher temps. Leaded race fuel will kill O2 sensors and clog catalytic converters though.
Old 12-16-14, 10:58 AM
abohler
Driver

Originally Posted by 93MSB
I think he means he has a standalone fuel cell with a pump for high octane fuel. This is common for nitrous systems, especially for larger shots.

High octane fuel is sometimes used simply for a safety feature, not necessarily to gain power. The higher the octane the more stable the fuel will be (aka resistant to detonation)

I've never heard of race fuel causing higher temps. Leaded race fuel will kill O2 sensors and clog catalytic converters though.
Bingo! Hit the nail on the head.
Old 12-16-14, 11:37 AM
abohler
Driver

I will go up to 175 to 200 shot with these changes. I am thinking the power to the wheels will be around 550-600hp. I am not sure if anyone else other than ekanoo with the 630hp direct port has gotten into this power range. I guess I may need to be the guinea pig. Just trying to preemptively avoid slip.
Old 12-16-14, 01:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

dude you are hardcore ! keep us posted and good luck
Old 12-16-14, 03:11 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Swacer

I will go up to 175 to 200 shot with these changes. I am thinking the power to the wheels will be around 550-600hp. I am not sure if anyone else other than ekanoo with the 630hp direct port has gotten into this power range. I guess I may need to be the guinea pig. Just trying to preemptively avoid slip.
If your using a stand alone fuel cell, your going to go boom (when you try and spray a 200 shot)

If you've got sikky headers and try to spray a 200 shot, your going to go boom within a few days due to detonation in the #number 1 cylinder.

My car never had a problem running a 200shot for long while, but the setup was tuned nearly perfect. Best recommendation I can give you for a large shot is to lose the fuel cell and use gutted oem headers. The blue record setting car is one of a few cars that detonated in cylinder 1 due to the sikky headers.
Old 12-17-14, 06:09 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
If your using a stand alone fuel cell, your going to go boom (when you try and spray a 200 shot)

If you've got sikky headers and try to spray a 200 shot, your going to go boom within a few days due to detonation in the #number 1 cylinder.

My car never had a problem running a 200shot for long while, but the setup was tuned nearly perfect. Best recommendation I can give you for a large shot is to lose the fuel cell and use gutted oem headers. The blue record setting car is one of a few cars that detonated in cylinder 1 due to the sikky headers.
^^^
Listen to this man!
Old 12-17-14, 06:21 AM
H60Driver
Driver

[QUOTE="MRxSLAYx;8829188"] If your using a stand alone fuel cell, your going to go boom (when you try and spray a 200 shot)
Old 12-17-14, 06:24 AM
H60Driver
Driver

Can you explain this. The fuel cell is just for safety.
Old 12-17-14, 07:11 AM
abohler
Driver

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx

Oh ****, yeah. I knew you were spraying 175, never knew you ran 200. I am running oem gutted manifolds, and straight piped the rest of the exhaust. I am going to also run doug's ecutouts, but wanted to use a standalone fuel cell to run C16 for the high nitrous shot as a safety measure. Thoughts?

Also to the original discussion any ideas on upgrading the clutch?
Old 12-17-14, 07:14 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by H60Driver
Can you explain this. The fuel cell is just for safety.
Fuel Cells are generally very safe, but I wouldn't recommend a race gas/pump gas mix when trying to go for big power in our cars. May people use the cell and have great results, but when you cant tune the engine using sub par fuel is a sure way to have catastrophic failure. It gets very expensive driving around on ms109, but you'll be sure to have pure 109 octane fuel instead of a possible low octane mix with the fuel cell.
Old 12-17-14, 07:16 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Oh ****, yeah. I knew you were spraying 175, never knew you ran 200. I am running oem gutted manifolds, and straight piped the rest of the exhaust. I am going to also run doug's ecutouts, but wanted to use a standalone fuel cell to run C16 for the high nitrous shot as a safety measure. Thoughts?

Also to the original discussion any ideas on upgrading the clutch?
As long as you can be sure that the mix is going to be alright, then go for it. I personally just stay away from mixing fuels due to the inconsistency that can affect the car.

Have you done any calculations to see what the octane level is going to be while using the cell?

Quick Reply: Clutch Upgrade