IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

SIKKY front sway bar for ISF !!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-14, 12:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default SIKKY front sway bar for ISF !!!

Just saw this on facebook a while back. I have been meaning to post it but was almost in disbelief that nobody on the forum has noticed this , posted this, or discussed this. Apparently the bar was released for sale on 10/15 ( we have been slacking lol). Many of us have the F sport rear bar or even the SIKKY rear bar.

NOW WE HAVE THE FRONT BAR OPTION !!

http://www.sikky.com/images/main/141761704503_A_WM.jpg

http://www.sikky.com/images/main/141761704503_C_WM.jpg

One of the most cost effective ways to improve the handling of your vehicle is a sway bar. Sikky noticed that there was a lack of front swaybar support for Lexus ISF owners, so we are pleased to announce that we have filled that void. Whether your ISF is street driven, track driven, or lowered and stanced, this 3 way adjustable bar can be fine tuned for your specific needs. There is nothing worse than understeer when cornering and this fully adjustable bar will allow you to dial your ISF into a setting that suits your driving style and setup.

Features:
- 32mm tubular sway bar
- 3 way adjustable for fine tuning
- High quality design and construction
- Sikky green powder coating
- Retains the factory hardware allowing a fast and easy installation
- Has the OEM spec headlight sensor mounting tab

Price: $ 299.99

I am eager to order but wonder how it will affect the car on the track. with the understeer

Merry Christmas from I8ABMR !!!!!!
Old 12-15-14, 08:13 PM
calteg
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

I too have a method for dialing out understeer...it's called my right foot.

Seriously though, the sikky green is a little too "look at me" for my taste
Old 12-15-14, 09:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by calteg
I too have a method for dialing out understeer...it's called my right foot.

Seriously though, the sikky green is a little too "look at me" for my taste
LOL thankfully nobody will see it unless you roll your F. Not likely.
Old 12-16-14, 12:10 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A larger front bar makes the car understeer more not less..

With that being said, this is why most people favor to keep the stock bar and modify the rear (or spring rates) to their liking.
Old 12-16-14, 05:39 AM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

This was posted in the vender product announcement forum a few months back. Surprised no one mentioned it.
Old 12-16-14, 11:57 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ISFpat
A larger front bar makes the car understeer more not less..

With that being said, this is why most people favor to keep the stock bar and modify the rear (or spring rates) to their liking.
You are absolutely right but I was wondering if the bar was replaced how it would feel on the softest setting. the F is still a Lexus and has a little roll in it . I am thinking too that designers may have gone a little less aggressive because the F already rides pretty ruff as it is. Going to a thicker bar causes a little more "waddle" or ruffness.

Originally Posted by Lmood
This was posted in the vender product announcement forum a few months back. Surprised no one mentioned it.
I was a little surprised myself
Old 12-16-14, 02:38 PM
justinco
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. We always put bigger front bars in our autocross/track cars. Helps lessen front roll and makes it more stable in things like fast slaloms and sweepers. You can still induce oversteer with brakes/power/weight transfer to make the car rotate quicker.
Old 12-16-14, 02:41 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by justinco
Interesting. We always put bigger front bars in our autocross/track cars. Helps lessen front roll and makes it more stable in things like fast slaloms and sweepers. You can still induce oversteer with brakes/power/weight transfer to make the car rotate quicker.
Most autocross cars I've known run less bar or no even no bar.

You can induce oversteer with brakes and weight transfer but that wont be as fast as a car that can rotate naturally.

I''ve never heard of a track car running more front bar. Most track oriented people work with shocks/spring rates rather than messing with the bar.
Old 12-16-14, 03:00 PM
justinco
Driver

Originally Posted by ISFpat
Most autocross cars I've known run less bar or no even no bar.

You can induce oversteer with brakes and weight transfer but that wont be as fast as a car that can rotate naturally.

I''ve never heard of a track car running more front bar. Most track oriented people work with shocks/spring rates rather than messing with the bar.
Yea track cars it's less common, I'll run both the bigger front and rear bar there. Pretty much every RWD autocross car will have a big bar on the front. Personally used them on my Miatas, RX-8's, BMW's...also common on S2000's and the FRS/BRZ's, all big front bars and usually stock or no rear bar.

Anyways, all of those cars are light weight and have no power so doesn't really compare to an IS-F
Old 12-16-14, 06:37 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

This would seem counter intuitive to me. I have the F-Sport rear bar with wider tires, and that pretty much neutralized the handling for me. A larger front sway bar would reintroduce more understeer, I'll pass.

Lou
Old 12-16-14, 06:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

The F sport rear bar got rid of understeer on the street but induced some corner exit oversteer on my F. I was tempted to dial out some that with a thicker front bar and with the bar set to the softest setting . I've had sway has on my GS and g35 and they were always thicker front and back . Not just the rear or just the front .

Last edited by I8ABMR; 12-17-14 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-16-14, 08:16 PM
justinco
Driver

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
This would seem counter intuitive to me. I have the F-Sport rear bar with wider tires, and that pretty much neutralized the handling for me. A larger front sway bar would reintroduce more understeer, I'll pass.

Lou
The big front bar is an autocross thing, if you haven't ever done that competitively it probably does not make sense. Visualize a pendulum swinging with the static pivot up top being the front of the car, the pendulum being the rear end. That is the effect you get, car rotates very quickly when needed but front end is stable for slalom, fast transitions, etc. It is not an ideal track setup where the turns are slow and consistent, that typically do not require radical change of direction of the car, like in autocross.

Oh, and a bit of understeer is not always a bad thing in some circumstances...unless you're Chris Harris
Old 12-19-14, 12:09 PM
JE
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sikky front bar

Thought I would help clear some stuff up for you guys with questions. Having installed this bar and tested myself I have some first hand knowledge. There are a couple guys on here running this bar as well that can chime in and one that has been quietly testing it for almost a year.

Running sway bars in the front and rear is a necessity. There is no reason you would ever want to run no bar. This is only done to correct a very poorly set up suspension and is perceived as an improvement because things are so wrong to begin with. Track or street, does not matter. Keep your bars ON!

The Sikky front bar is a vast improvement over stock or fsport. Keeps the car planted and reduces body roll in hard cornering. If your running stock wheel and tire packages then you can get away with stock bars, either way this bar is still a noticeable improvement and a good upgrade no matter what tire wheel combo you have.

A bigger front bar does not automatically translate to more under-steer. The softest setting on this Sikky bar is equivalent to a Fsport bar and was designed that way on purpose. This allows you to grow into your setup. Instead of buying the fsport bar with your stock wheels you get the Sikky one then when you decide to track it or upgrade your wheels and tires you have that adaptability there ready to go. We found that even on the soft (fsport) equivalent setting it was an improvement. If you drive your ISF on the track it will be very obvious and you will notice the difference the first lap. We've been building race cars and setting up race chassis for a living for over 15 years every day of the week so I'm not just shooting from the hip or computer chair racing. IMHO it's a great upgrade!
Old 12-19-14, 01:55 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

^^^^The reason that ISF owners, me included, have not embraced the FSport Front Sway Bar is because the physical dimensions are the same as the stock ISF Bar, so performance should be the same. The stock ISF Front Bar does however use rubber bushings where the FSport uses harder rubber bushings.

A couple of years ago I crawled under a number of ISx50 vehicles on a dealer lot, and measured my own Sway bar and came up with the attached chart.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails SIKKY front sway bar for ISF !!!-isway-bar-specs.jpg  
Old 12-19-14, 02:10 PM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Again this is why more IS-F owners need to understand and learn how to properly setup a car. Geesh. Anytime you can get an adjustable F & R sway bar I would do it. You can dial out understeer/oversteer. I wish more IS-F owners took their car to a track and actually get to limits of the car. I would have gave my right kidney to have a front sway bar the 3 or 4 times I was at VIR. The more adjustment the better.

Quick Reply: SIKKY front sway bar for ISF !!!