IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

RCF front on ISF

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-14, 10:56 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ToyLexFAM
The RC F is approximately 119lb heavier than the IS F (Car and Driver published).

I still don't understand trying to compare a heavily modified car against a stock vehicle. I can take an FRS and $30,000.00 and smoke the ISF you mentioned on any track in America and still be less expensive than the ISF. Under your rationalization, I should buy the FRS.
The difference is, the successor should provide a value that the ISF can't accomplish.

Power is something the successor (RCF) does not trump the ISF in, this is due to Lexus using a tweaked engine of ours on the RCF, fortunately for the ISF owners who have chosen to mod their cars, the RCF will not feel much faster day to day.

The handling is improved with all the new electronics and suspension design but can that truly be seen on the street Vs at the track? How many ISF owners have taken their cars to the track? I believe we can all agree we use our cars as a get from point A to point B car, not a race car.
Old 12-15-14, 11:09 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Stock for stock, the RC F will beat out an IS F. But a good number of modified IS F owners here have the parts (I/H/E) to make it faster (on paper) versus an RC F. Will it really be faster in a closed course? That is something we have to wait and see from those who wish to test a modified IS F to an RC F. It really comes down to preference. The RC F is new, and we're already seeing owners ditch an IS F for the RC F. It really doesn't mean the IS F is inferior. Some prefer sedans, others prefer coupes.

That being said, as MK4Sup_isF mentioned, four doors is a HUGE selling point. We all thought the IS F rear seating was limited- try getting into an RC F rear seat without those added doors. It's not about getting an FRS and dumping the cost of the car to make it comparable to an IS F or RC F; it's preference.There will be a sacrifice. With the said idea of an FRS, you will get a solid RWD car, but lack the luxury amenities and refinement of an IS F. But to compare an IS F and RC F, there isn't much of a sacrifice. Going back to the idea of stock versus stock, I would venture to say a good number of owners would still take the IS F because of the extra doors, more leg room, just as powerful V8 with automatic shifting, and trunk space. Not to take anything away from the tech and power increase of an RC F, but I myself need four doors. Having owned this beast for the past seven years, I'm more than happy with the IS F's performance as a super sedan. It shouldn't be fair to judge an RC F to an IS F (modded or not) because it does come down to preference in the end.
Old 12-15-14, 11:09 AM
ToyLexFAM
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpat
The difference is, the successor should provide a value that the ISF can't accomplish.

Power is something the successor (RCF) does not trump the ISF in, this is due to Lexus using a tweaked version of ours on the RCF, fortunately for the ISF owners who have chosen to mod their cars, the RCF will not feel much faster day to day.

The handling is improved with all the new electronics and suspension design but can that truly be seen on the street Vs at the track? How many ISF owners have taken their cars to the track? I believe we can all agree we use our cars as a get from point A to point B car, not a race car.
Tweaked? The engine is the RC F has nothing in common with the IS F engine except the block. The crank, rods, heads, valves, compression ratio, are all different totaling 50-60hp in gains.

I agree that a stock RC F will not feel much different than the modified IS F, and in fact many of the reviews say that is a much more tame engine than the IS F configuration which makes the IS F feel faster.

As for value, the RC F is not a successor as it is a 2 door vehicle. The market is a bit different. As for those who compare the vehicles, the RC F is an upgrade in every performance category, handles significantly better than the IS F (stock), has upgraded brakes, and subjectively looks much better.
Old 12-15-14, 11:11 AM
ToyLexFAM
Rookie

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Stock for stock, the RC F will beat out an IS F. But a good number of modified IS F owners here have the parts (I/H/E) to make it faster (on paper) versus an RC F. Will it really be faster in a closed course? That is something we have to wait and see from those who wish to test a modified IS F to an RC F. It really comes down to preference. The RC F is new, and we're already seeing owners ditch an IS F for the RC F. It really doesn't mean the IS F is inferior. Some prefer sedans, others prefer coupes.

That being said, as MK4Sup_isF mentioned, four doors is a HUGE selling point. We all thought the IS F rear seating was limited- try getting into an RC F rear seat without those added doors. It's not about getting an FRS and dumping the cost of the car to make it comparable to an IS F or RC F; it's preference.There will be a sacrifice. With the said idea of an FRS, you will get a solid RWD car, but lack the luxury amenities and refinement of an IS F. But to compare an IS F and RC F, there isn't much of a sacrifice. Going back to the idea of stock versus stock, I would venture to say a good number of owners would still take the IS F because of the extra doors, more leg room, just as powerful V8 with automatic shifting, and trunk space. Not to take anything away from the tech and power increase of an RC F, but I myself need four doors. Having owned this beast for the past seven years, I'm more than happy with the IS F's performance as a super sedan. It shouldn't be fair to judge an RC F to an IS F (modded or not) because it does come down to preference in the end.
Thank you. If the IS F came with AWD, my wife would be driving the IS F instead of the IS350.
Old 12-15-14, 11:14 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

That's what we are trying to get at when looking at the ISF and the RCF side by side.

If I want a super quick two door car, I'd buy a GTR. The RCF was heavily criticised for being heavier than the ISF, it also offers cramped seating for rear seat passengers.

Our point is you can make an ISF equal or better than an RCF for a lot less cash with the right mods.

You also retain the practical layout of a 5-door, and give more leg room to your passengers/kids etc.

Lexus offered something that has more technology, power, handling in the RCF, but diluted the benefits with extra weight and less practicality.

You can't compare the ISF and RCF as they offer different packages.

The point is the RCF sits in the GTR's territory, but will no doubt struggle for any huge performance gains due to the same n/a limitations we have with the ISF.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 12-15-14, 11:21 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
The OP already has an ISF, he and many of us would like a 4 doors Lexus. So upgrading to a 2 doors Lexus isn't much of an upgrade in our eyes only. Especially the extra 30k-40k that we will need I fork on top. Headers and exhaust mods is much more budget friendly and also retains the usable of 4 drs
Exactly my point. When I typed what I initially typed, it didn't mean I don't believe the RCF is an upgrade over the ISF. If I had neither car and was shopping, and price wasn't much different, I'd choose the RCF. I think it is a better performer, stock for stock definitely.

But I already own an ISF with a Joe exhaust system and the upgrades the RCF offers over what I already own has not compelled me in the slightest to sell my ISF and plop down the extra money on upgrading. When I first heard of the RCF I was thinking I might look to do that, at least in late 2015/early 2016. But after seeing the numbers I feel I can definitely wait. Thats all I'm saying. And since the OP also owns an ISF already, I figured it applied to him as well.
I
Old 12-15-14, 11:25 AM
ToyLexFAM
Rookie

Originally Posted by PDP180180
That's what we are trying to get at when looking at the ISF and the RCF side by side.

If I want a super quick two door car, I'd buy a GTR. The RCF was heavily criticised for being heavier than the ISF, it also offers cramped seating for rear seat passengers.

Our point is you can make an ISF equal or better than an RCF for a lot less cash with the right mods.

You also retain the practical layout of a 5-door, and give more leg room to your passengers/kids etc.

Lexus offered something that has more technology, power, handling in the RCF, but diluted the benefits with extra weight and less practicality.

You can't compare the ISF and RCF as they offer different packages.

The point is the RCF sits in the GTR's territory, but will no doubt struggle for any huge performance gains due to the same n/a limitations we have with the ISF.

Hope that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense ... except for the part about the GTR, weight, and practicality.

The GTR is a purpose built track vehicle that is street legal. The RC F is a luxury car that can be tracked.

The part about weight and practicality diluting the benefits is subjective. The weight makes no difference to the daily commuter, and in reality probably improves the ride characteristics on the road. As for practicality, if you mean marketability, I would agree.
Old 12-15-14, 11:25 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Bone stock Motor Trend Number 2008

TEST DATA
Acceleration to mph
0-30 1.6 sec
0-40 2.4
0-50 3.3
0-60 4.3
0-70 5.6
0-80 6.9
0-90 8.4
0-90 10.2
Passing, 45-65 mph 2.1 sec
Quarter mile 12.7 sec @ 112.3 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph 112 ft
Lateral acceleration 0.90 g (avg)
MT figure eight 25.8 sec @ 0.72 g (avg)
Top-gear revs @ 60 mph 1650 rpm

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz3LzpWRwW4
Old 12-15-14, 11:28 AM
ToyLexFAM
Rookie

In my case, if the IS F was available in AWD, I'd have both an IS F and an RC F sitting in my driveway come mid-February or early March when my RC F arrives.
Old 12-15-14, 11:48 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Its took Lexus 7 yrs to make RCF ? in those 7 yrs we changed the dynamic of the F since its debut 08 until now. Nothing really stock ISF. We make it better, lighter, corner faster, suspension, more powerful and look better too. ISF 3500 to 3600 LBS and 410 to 420 wrhp to say the least

Last edited by ISF4life; 12-15-14 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-15-14, 12:55 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

So, hello again, a lot has happened since my lunch meeting....

'Us' ISF owners are definitely a stoic bunch. We love our cars and many of us will not be out trading them for the RCF any time soon. I went out and did the track day with lexus and was ready to preorder an RCF because, quite frankly, I loved the car. Performance (vs my currently bone stock '12 ISF) not withstanding, I fell in love with the look of the car. Hence the reason I even ventured a thought of changing the front end. That, and to have that unique version of the ISF. At the end of the day, that's why we mod. To make it ours.

You look at much of the creature-comfort mod's on most ISF owners vehicles, it's lights, body kits, seats, diffusers,etc. none of which enhance pefrmance. I also intend to do all of the above as well as coilovers, wheels, I/h/e.

I'm sure when the gear heads have a crack at the RCF I/H/E will show gains far above what our ISFs can output (especially if Vivid makes a tune...too soon?), but again, practicality reigns supreme in my book, today.

So, if we could all stop having the better car for 5 minutes, haha, let's talk about the feasibility of the front conversion again. Or we can go along our merry way and I'll report back excellent success or total failure.

Remember the first time someone told you "that looks stupid". I do, and I also remember thinking, and these days saying "I didn't do it for you, jerk."

Carry on friends.
Old 12-15-14, 01:26 PM
ToyLexFAM
Rookie

Originally Posted by zax3gs
So, hello again, a lot has happened since my lunch meeting....

'Us' ISF owners are definitely a stoic bunch. We love our cars and many of us will not be out trading them for the RCF any time soon. I went out and did the track day with lexus and was ready to preorder an RCF because, quite frankly, I loved the car. Performance (vs my currently bone stock '12 ISF) not withstanding, I fell in love with the look of the car. Hence the reason I even ventured a thought of changing the front end. That, and to have that unique version of the ISF. At the end of the day, that's why we mod. To make it ours.

You look at much of the creature-comfort mod's on most ISF owners vehicles, it's lights, body kits, seats, diffusers,etc. none of which enhance pefrmance. I also intend to do all of the above as well as coilovers, wheels, I/h/e.

I'm sure when the gear heads have a crack at the RCF I/H/E will show gains far above what our ISFs can output (especially if Vivid makes a tune...too soon?), but again, practicality reigns supreme in my book, today.

So, if we could all stop having the better car for 5 minutes, haha, let's talk about the feasibility of the front conversion again. Or we can go along our merry way and I'll report back excellent success or total failure.

Remember the first time someone told you "that looks stupid". I do, and I also remember thinking, and these days saying "I didn't do it for you, jerk."

Carry on friends.
All of the reports that I have read regarding the chassis on the RC F state that the wider GS chassis was mated to the IS convertible floor section using high strength adhesive and laser brazing. Is it feasible to change your IS front to the RC F front? Possible, yes. Feasible, no.

If would probably be easier to tube chassis the front end of your car. In that case, you can mate up whatever body panels you wish.
Old 12-15-14, 02:14 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

You guys may want to look at this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-3is-f-10.html

Lou
Old 12-15-14, 02:22 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Stock for stock both cars have pretty even straight line performance. Now, where the RCF beats the ISF is on the track because of the much better tires and suspension set up. Also the nannies do most of the work for you as Lexus designed it. I'm willing to bet that an ISF with better tires and with a tweaked suspension set up would match the RCFs performance on the track as well. I was disappointed (but not surprised) when tests revealed that the RCFs quarter mile trap speed was the same as the ISFs.
Old 12-15-14, 02:58 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
You guys may want to look at this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-3is-f-10.html Lou
I've stumbled on this thread before, although most of the 'work' involved has been deleted from the thread. Just shows that anything is possible with $ and patience.

Quick Reply: RCF front on ISF