IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

'08 ISF Starting in second gear from stop, normal?

Old 12-12-14, 08:23 AM
joshv06
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '08 ISF Starting in second gear from stop, normal?

Hello,

I've never had this happen before, but today on my way to work during my first and second stop I noticed the car have a jerk when coming to the stop. I immediately thought it felt like the transmission was acting funny so I switched to the gear position view on the dash while at a stop light and noticed the car had placed itself into 2nd gear at a dead stop.

Some background info:

1) I only let the car heat up for 45 seconds max before driving.
2) The indicator light is just my TPMS or whatnot because I have Winter tires.
3) I researched for a good 15 minutes and couldn't find someone with a similar issue. I have the common harsh shift when cold 1-2-3 until its driven for a few minutes.
4) It was -4 celsius (I am Canadian eh)
5) I am in Normal Mode and never ever drive the car hard until it hits 2 bars on oil temp and then almost never drive it fast (why did I even buy an ISF?? haha)
6) The car recently had its service done at Lexus (I denied the rear differential fluid change as I am getting this done at an independent garage.)All other services have been properly maintained since new.
7) The car returned to starting in 1st gear at stop after it warmed up. I am just curious to hear if this is normal or an indicator of a potentially larger issue down the road.

Is this normal, has any one else experienced this? Also off topic but in my old IS350 in winter mode it stated the car in 2nd gear in snow mode. On the ISF snow mode still starts the car in 1st gear (online seems to show it start in 2nd? i.e. top gear etc quotes it does this.)

Thanks for your input!

Josh
Old 12-12-14, 09:05 AM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My car does this also, in colder temps, just when it's warming up. (Also a Canadian 2008 ISF)
Old 12-12-14, 09:56 AM
joshv06
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKLBL
My car does this also, in colder temps, just when it's warming up. (Also a Canadian 2008 ISF)
Thanks, BTW in snow mode does yours start in 1st or 2nd?
Old 12-12-14, 12:43 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

^^^^Being in Arizona, I don't use Snow Mode for snow But, I do use when climbing my ramps to change my oil or work under the car. And I use it for the reason you state, it starts in 2nd and I can climb the ramps without pushing them on my concrete driveway.

Lou
Old 12-12-14, 05:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

The skid control ECU will change to 2nd gear starts if it detects low traction conditions. It does this without any input from the driver, only input from the accelerometers and the wheel speed sensors.

There's a big write up about it in the New Car Features VDIM section.
Old 12-13-14, 06:09 AM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There's a big write up about it in the New Car Features VDIM section.
do you happen to have a link to where I can find this? I'm a tech by trade and am interested in reading more about this. I've been searching the forums, but haven't found a big write up yet

Some info I've found in relation to VDIM:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-the-is-f.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post3279342

I was assuming sport mode would alter parameters in the VDIM, allowing the car to get a little more sideways before VDIM interferes, but this is not the case. It appears sport mode only alters steering assist, throttle input, and trans shift points, yes?

I messed around with SNOW mode while driving in snow and low traction conditions. I was not impressed. I was expecting the VDIM to "relax". I was hoping snow mode would allow for more wheel spin before throttle cut. it does not. I was hoping snow mode would allow for more yaw angle before intervening.. it does not. It appears snow mode cuts throttle way back, (more than necessary in my opinion). It seems like the transmission is more hesitant to downshift on the highway (which I suppose is a good thing, less chance of breaking traction at high speed)

Does anyone have any more info on snow mode? I've searched, and there doesn't seem to be much out there
Old 12-13-14, 08:42 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

^^^^Maybe this will interest you.

Lou
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
VDIM_Story.pdf (122.0 KB, 294 views)
Old 12-13-14, 09:15 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine does this all the time, however, I've got a speed sensor issue somewhere.

Also, when I DID NOT have the code, it would go into first at a stop, now at the stop, if I put it in manual mode and TRY to downshift, it just beeps
Old 12-20-14, 07:30 AM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

I've been watching the gear selection closely lately, and I noticed my car will only start out in 2nd gear after wheel spin was just recently detected, like Lobux mentioned already. While leaving my house I have to navigate through sheer ice in my alley, and on the side street. then at the next stop sign, it will start in 2nd gear. When leaving work, there is no ice, and dry pavement, and my car will not start out in 2nd gear when cold, it will go down to 1st every time.

I also learned a few things about SNOW mode. when downshifting in snow mode, the transmission is more prone to coast in higher gears, most likely to prevent possible loss of control due to a downshift. when coming to a complete stop in snow mode, the transmission will skip 2nd gear, and go right from 3rd to 1st, again, to prevent loss of control during a downshift