IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

SPARK PLUGS Maintenance _ WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-14, 10:32 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default SPARK PLUGS Maintenance _ WOW!

So I decided to change my spark plugs before 100K along with other preventative measures, and WOW! First of I had oil around my spark plugs, which means my plug seals are leaking and need to change them asap (something to consider for others when changing to make sure valve gaskets are not leaking as they can foul a plug, etc)

Most importantly, I have about 10% to 15% better throttle response at times (and trying not to over exaggerate difference). I thought before as I eased into pedal to overtake the hesitation was due to tranny needing to down shift, but now realizing my car was actually somewhat "bogging" on throttle is pretty eye opening. I no longer find my sef needing to manually down shift tranny as I would before because there is such an improvement of on power throttle. Also, my mid range to top end after 4K RPM is much much stronger. I know yes spark plugs can make a difference but have never seen such improved/restored performance on any other vehicle.. I mean my car reacts totally different, and those who have said their idle drops with AC of while at idle, mine does that no longer, and feel is linked to spark plug performance..

**I possibly feel that my plugs could have been possibly close to failing there was such an improvement than before..

Thus, if you have not done, yes dont go past 60K mark I did. I feel the recommendation to wait unitl 100K was too long to wait.
Old 12-09-14, 01:08 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,846 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Jeez. Even I'm not cheap enough to ignore the 60k recommendation for plugs...
Old 12-09-14, 01:10 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did mine at 90k. My old plugs didn't look too bad actually, I'm very thankful for that. Yes the car seems to respond better even still
Old 12-09-14, 02:36 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

I am very conservative..Really after paying 31K to baby bills after having my two baby boys back to back and my last baby having hemophilia im just now recovering from paying off those debts not to linger lol.. But, now can again spend on F lol.
Old 12-09-14, 03:39 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthFF
I am very conservative..Really after paying 31K to baby bills after having my two baby boys back to back and my last baby having hemophilia im just now recovering from paying off those debts not to linger lol.. But, now can again spend on F lol.
May God bless your little ones. Hope all is well.
Old 12-09-14, 06:26 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Thus, if you have not done, yes dont go past 60K mark I did. I feel the recommendation to wait unitl 100K was too long to wait.
Glad you got it all fixed up...

Who here is recommending 100k ..!!??

Joe Z
Old 12-09-14, 10:49 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

What plugs are you guys using?
Old 12-10-14, 04:53 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

MisterSkis, yes sir thank you, god doesnt give you what you cannot handle. He is perfectly normal except for almost no clotting factor that is treatable. Always could be worse.

No one recommended 100K, I just waited per circumstance. I installed factory plugs, no reason to "try" anything different.
Old 12-10-14, 05:51 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

MisterSkis, yes sir thank you, god doesnt give you what you cannot handle. He is perfectly normal except for almost no clotting factor that is treatable. Always could be worse.

No one recommended 100K, I just waited per circumstance. I installed factory plugs, no reason to "try" anything different.
Did you do the change yourself or go to the stealership?
Old 12-10-14, 03:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Anyone know what the dealer charges for them to be replaced ?? Im not handy. Its all Lexus on my F.
Old 12-10-14, 03:58 PM
Blzn335
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Anyone know what the dealer charges for them to be replaced ?? Im not handy. Its all Lexus on my F.
I got quoted $800 from the dealer for plugs only unless you want to do the whole 60k service package. Then they quoted me $2500 at North Scottsdale Lexus and $2100 at Camelback Lexus.
I ended up just buying the plugs from Sewell Lexus Parts for about $100. My buddy and I hammered it out ourselves in about 3-4 hours. Took our time to make sure it was done right. I can hook you up with my mechanic buddy if you want. He lives in North Phoenix. He'll probably do it for less than half of what dealer wants.
Old 12-10-14, 05:35 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Originally Posted by Blzn335
I got quoted $800 from the dealer for plugs only unless you want to do the whole 60k service package. Then they quoted me $2500 at North Scottsdale Lexus and $2100 at Camelback Lexus.
I ended up just buying the plugs from Sewell Lexus Parts for about $100. My buddy and I hammered it out ourselves in about 3-4 hours. Took our time to make sure it was done right. I can hook you up with my mechanic buddy if you want. He lives in North Phoenix. He'll probably do it for less than half of what dealer wants.
Don't go to dealership!! Any half way decent mechanic can do it within an hour to 1 1/2 hour for about 100 bucks. From what I can remember, you will have to remove the battery and the wirings around there to get to the back spark plugs.
Old 12-10-14, 05:58 PM
speeddem0n
Pit Crew

Ok looks like i better stop procrastinating and change mine out as well. Gonna get them from the dealer and do them myself.
Old 12-10-14, 07:47 PM
Reaper21
Pole Position

This is a very simple job to do. As was said earlier, the battery and steering ECU need to be removed on the passenger side, and a couple small pieces need to be unbolted and maneuvered on the driver side to get to two of the plugs. Took me about 3 hours taking my time.

I got my plugs online from Advance Auto Parts for $85 shipped. They run a crazy discount every once in a while with a coupon code which can be found on here in one of the other spark plug threads.
Old 12-10-14, 09:20 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

^^^ With the right tools.. You can cut down on the DIY time..

Also, I did mine without removing the ECU..

I did take the battery out first time... But I also figured out how to do it with out removing the battery.

See this DIY thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ug-change.html

~ Joe Z

Quick Reply: SPARK PLUGS Maintenance _ WOW!