IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

turbo kits

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-14, 03:05 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by itsmejon
Enlighten me on this i haven't seen or heard anything of the sort. An IS350 cant beat a stock ISF with bolt ons how can it beat a turbo one with 100-150ish more hp?
It was at Irwindale raceway. Simple answer ..the turbo ISF might have 100-150 more HP on paper but it failed to get it to the ground and did not run correctly.
Twin Turbo IS-F vs ISx50: http://youtu.be/q3FcE23sHPM

Last edited by NotnFsport; 12-09-14 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-09-14, 04:50 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to disagree with some of these guys here and say that you can run a TT setup on the IS-F because it already comes stock with forged internals. I wouldn't expect any less on an engine that runs 450HP stock

For FI on NA High comp engines, you can run 6-8 psi safely and make power but like most have said there is very limited tuning options. especially for the IS-F. Not to mention, you wont have any real point of reference so since its a rare mod so you would be going in blind and having to figure it all out on your own. You can essentially build a decent kit for less than 5k if you do most to almost all the work your self. My buddy built a STS style TT kit for his GTO for about $1,500 in parts but he literally did every thing him self, the welds on the turbo from the manifold, charge pipe and everything else. For convenience you can pay someone else to do it but it will cost more.

If you really want a well performing IS-F Twin turbo that makes power and super efficient, you can run a custom standalone but then the car wont be street legal and you will lose a lot of the interior amenities that makes the car a Sport/Luxury Performance Vehicle. At that point, you would have to get a race shop involved that knows what their doing which would cost $$$ of course.

Can you do it? YES. Would it be Bad ***? HELL YEAH. Would it be cheap? NO but it would lead the way for many more future turbo builds.

There one day was that lone honda guy that said, "can I turbo my 1985 honda civic" and everyone told him NO, not possible, pointless and expensive. And look where they are now, you have 1.8l 95hp stock 4 banger's faster than lambos. All you need is the drive... and money... and patience

Last edited by NYKnick101; 12-09-14 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-09-14, 05:03 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

This will turn out like all the tuning threads. I hope it gets locked.
Old 12-09-14, 10:55 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 77 Posts

just found a guy on IG who has a "twin turbo ISF" in LA. Goes by the username lowlife_losangeles Clean car, but this is what he says in one of his comments. "Small flat spot around 3k WOT that needs tuning. AEM FIC8 Piggy back. Dual GTK35 spools full boost 7psi around 3500 rpm. I asked him if he every dyno'd the set up. His response "430hp at 5psi stock exhaust manifolds and cats....

Definitely sounds like a waste of time and money for little gains, but a FMC does look badass in our front bumpers!
Old 12-10-14, 01:31 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Screen name jiggawho seems like he's boosted..im not sure though..
Old 12-10-14, 04:06 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The engine comes with a forged crank, so unless you are referring to forged pistons, it's already there. No need for forged pistons with a shot this small in this engine. Toyota is not Chevrolet, and their engines are built far better from the factory than domestics. You can't find a Toyota with a cast crank, they consider it unreliable. The legendary 2JZ-GTE became legendary because the factory build was rated at 320 hp at the crank, but could easily maintain daily reliability at nearly 800 rwhp.

The smallest of my worries with this engine would be killing it with spray. Boost over 6 psi? Sure, I'd be really worried, but even a 150 shot with a properly set up kit won't be a big issue at all.
Yes, I"m referring to forged pistons. They are required for an engine intended to MAKE power. Nitrous will cause wear and tear to the surface of the piston due to high temperatures flucutations and will begin to cause warping of the piston, which will cause loss of compression, and eventual detonation.

As for your comparison between Chevrolet and Toyota? I'm sorry, but if you want to talk economical motors, sure, Toyota builds better. But if you're talking performance, you are certainly kidding yourself. And LSx engine is a bullet proof motor, that unlike your IS-F's engine, can actually be modded. There are LS3s making well over 1000rwhp with forged internals and supercharged. There are LSAs making well over 1300rwhp. If you want to go strictly domestic, I have a neighbor that previously owned a 2012 GT500 that was putting down 1087rwhp on an E85 tune. So your 800rwhp is a very cute proposal. Also, talking a "legendary" motor doesn't mean anything, Toyota has locked you out and rendered you unable to do anything to this car. I don't really care what some other car had. That comment kind of reminds of talking to a Flyers fan who is still living in 1975, because that is all they have to grab onto.

In day to day, you can claim Toyota supremacy, and I would agree with you. But when it comes to performance motors, don't kid yourself.

And don't take the approach that I'm a Toyota hater, i honestly considered a IS-F, twice now, and I just can't get over the lack of modability for these cars. Further more, there have been toyotas and hondas in my garages all my life.

Last edited by Swacer; 12-10-14 at 04:58 AM.
Old 12-10-14, 06:01 AM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Originally Posted by iH8RICERZ
just found a guy on IG who has a "twin turbo ISF" in LA. Goes by the username lowlife_losangeles Clean car, but this is what he says in one of his comments. "Small flat spot around 3k WOT that needs tuning. AEM FIC8 Piggy back. Dual GTK35 spools full boost 7psi around 3500 rpm. I asked him if he every dyno'd the set up. His response "430hp at 5psi stock exhaust manifolds and cats....

Definitely sounds like a waste of time and money for little gains, but a FMC does look badass in our front bumpers!
Yes Jiggawho bought Lowlifes twin turbo kit. Lowlife sold his F.
Old 12-10-14, 08:38 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Swacer
Yes, I"m referring to forged pistons. They are required for an engine intended to MAKE power. Nitrous will cause wear and tear to the surface of the piston due to high temperatures flucutations and will begin to cause warping of the piston, which will cause loss of compression, and eventual detonation.

As for your comparison between Chevrolet and Toyota? I'm sorry, but if you want to talk economical motors, sure, Toyota builds better. But if you're talking performance, you are certainly kidding yourself. And LSx engine is a bullet proof motor, that unlike your IS-F's engine, can actually be modded. There are LS3s making well over 1000rwhp with forged internals and supercharged. There are LSAs making well over 1300rwhp. If you want to go strictly domestic, I have a neighbor that previously owned a 2012 GT500 that was putting down 1087rwhp on an E85 tune. So your 800rwhp is a very cute proposal. Also, talking a "legendary" motor doesn't mean anything, Toyota has locked you out and rendered you unable to do anything to this car. I don't really care what some other car had. That comment kind of reminds of talking to a Flyers fan who is still living in 1975, because that is all they have to grab onto.

In day to day, you can claim Toyota supremacy, and I would agree with you. But when it comes to performance motors, don't kid yourself.

And don't take the approach that I'm a Toyota hater, i honestly considered a IS-F, twice now, and I just can't get over the lack of modability for these cars. Further more, there have been toyotas and hondas in my garages all my life.
Dude go get your ZL1 and scram....it's pretty evident you're a domestic fanboy. Supras can make 2K horsepower, it's a never ending debate between LSx motors and the 2JZ.
Old 12-10-14, 08:43 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Dude go get your ZL1 and scram....it's pretty evident you're a domestic fanboy. Supras can make 2K horsepower, it's a never ending debate between LSx motors and the 2JZ.
Domestic fanboy?

I have 2 Japanese cars ('15 IS350 and a '06 Mazda) in my driveway now (in addition to the camaro), and have owned a 1991 Accord that I miss dearly. Will probably be trading the Mazda in for an Accord/Pilot as my DD in the spring. I also plan to buy a GT-R (my much beloved dream car) in the next 6-8 yrs.

I'm not a fanboy any what so ever. I am an equal opportunity buyer. Hell, i spend a lot of time on the camaro forums defending redneck backhanded comments against imports. I just can't handle ill advised comments that are unfounded.

So, what were you driving at again?

Last edited by Swacer; 12-10-14 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-10-14, 11:18 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

No ones trying to freak out on you Swacer, But you are fairly new to be disagreeing with Club Lexus's senior tech moderator who has more motor sports knowledge in a finger than half our members. I get your not into nitrous but your on here talking about turboing a car that as many of the experienced ISF builders have discovered years ago does not work correctly. It is a fact the ISF has no tuning solution. I do not care how much time or money you have, it isn't happening. Multiple companies with millions of dollars in budget have tried. 6 years now of straight failure and now they don't make the ISF, it isn't going to happen. If anyone is serious about having one of the fastest ISF, the bottle is the only way your getting there in the foreseeable future. I'm not positive but I think the only isf in the 11s not on a bottle is caymanediver and he's proven himself to be one if not the best isf drag driver on the forum. Not one turbo isf has proof of running 11s. We have a few almost in the 10s on a bottle. Facts are facts.
Old 12-10-14, 01:12 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer

Toyota choose to make it difficult to highly modified their motors to make sure the reliably reputation is not tarnished. Deep down, it's a business to make money. Please don't tell me that the LSx is bulletproof and world class. There are plenty of problems with the LS7 stock, and please don't even tell me that the new LT is that much better in term of build quality either. LSx motors are well supported because it is a relatively old tech and GM choose to make the computer easier to tune. Any motor can be made bulletproof once built. Making high hp on a huge displacement isn't hard. Making the same power/reliable on a 2 to 3 litters is way more difficult. That's when you require sophistication in the design and head flows

I'm not even hating on your beloved LSx by any mean. It's just a different way to make huge power and cheap. It's not just for everyone. I do have a built LS1 sitting in my garage right now, Crower forged crank and rods plus a fully built titanium valve train ported and polished head. So please don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about
Old 12-10-14, 03:09 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iH8RICERZ

A stock IS-F baseline Dyno is around the 360-370hp to the wheels mark so to dyno 430@5 psi IMO is pretty good. And thats with stock exhaust manifold and cats and, I'm sure if he upgraded to High-flow cats and aftermarket exhaust headers and piping, he can push into the 450+hp @5psi which is already about 70-90 HP over stock. If your able to do all the work your self, it can be a worthy HP to Cost mod for the IS-F.

There are a couple twin turbo SC400's with early model 1UZ that dyno around 420 from a baseline 250hp stock. In my opinion, if you have the resources to turbo afford-ably, I would give it a run personally
Old 12-10-14, 03:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

save your money and buy something faster .......or spray. Turbos are way more expensive and you will not have the proper ability to tune fuel ratios and timing like you will need to. If it was a Nissan Id say go for it. Lexus?? we are stuck
Old 12-11-14, 03:50 AM
Jowett
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Never say never. While it's not extremely likely to happen, sometimes things have a way of working out.
Old 12-11-14, 11:47 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
A stock IS-F baseline Dyno is around the 360-370hp to the wheels mark so to dyno 430@5 psi IMO is pretty good. And thats with stock exhaust manifold and cats and, I'm sure if he upgraded to High-flow cats and aftermarket exhaust headers and piping, he can push into the 450+hp @5psi which is already about 70-90 HP over stock. If your able to do all the work your self, it can be a worthy HP to Cost mod for the IS-F.

There are a couple twin turbo SC400's with early model 1UZ that dyno around 420 from a baseline 250hp stock. In my opinion, if you have the resources to turbo afford-ably, I would give it a run personally
The mechanical aspect is easy, its tuning the car after the fact is where the issue lies

Quick Reply: turbo kits