IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

turbo kits

Old 12-11-14, 01:23 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by streetx
The mechanical aspect is easy, its tuning the car after the fact is where the issue lies
Yeah, I know on stock ECU with stock everything, you can easily get 450 to the wheels but thats about it. If you really want like in depth tuning, you can run a custom standalone system if worse comes to worse. but thats $$$. So there really IS a tuning option, just not affordable for the average IS user.

There is a Twin Turbo IS-F in Australia that uses a custom Motec EMS that squeezed 600 hp out the stock motor on 6psi but like I said, after that point, your getting into race car territory

Last edited by NYKnick101; 12-11-14 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-11-14, 03:32 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone on this forum tried to run a full standalone? I had a ViPEC V88 on my G35 although it was expensive to buy the unit and have it wired in it was well worth it. I did have issues with check engine and traction control lguts being on but it ran flawless
Old 12-11-14, 03:36 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylvan
Has anyone on this forum tried to run a full standalone? I had a ViPEC V88 on my G35 although it was expensive to buy the unit and have it wired in it was well worth it. I did have issues with check engine and traction control lguts being on but it ran flawless
Pro efi spent six months a year or two ago. Wired all their sensors in custom, they said they had 4-5 grand in hardware. Did not work. There are mult serious walls in the way. You can find the thread threw the search bar.

I have spoke with Jeff Evans about motec and he said it can not be done, and told me there is not a system on the market that will be tuning the isf in the foreseeable future.

Last edited by darbs242; 12-11-14 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-11-14, 07:18 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by darbs242
Pro efi spent six months a year or two ago. Wired all their sensors in custom, they said they had 4-5 grand in hardware. Did not work. There are mult serious walls in the way. You can find the thread threw the search bar.

I have spoke with Jeff Evans about motec and he said it can not be done, and told me there is not a system on the market that will be tuning the isf in the foreseeable future.

Ok thank you, Pro EFI is a great system so if they couldn't get around the factory ECU I doubt it can be done. You do need a level of integration with factory ECUs, it's not like 15 years ago would you could run a standalone and litteraly pull the factory ECU right out.
Old 12-11-14, 08:23 PM
v8sedan
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Not worth it in my opinion, I've put a supercharger kit on my previous bmw 328, yeah I manage to get 100 more whp out of it, but also throw all of its reliability out the Window, and at the end, you will depreciate the car a lot, no one will wants to buy it cause its been touched, anyway, 416hp stock is the reason I bought it, fast, reliable, it's an amazing car as it is !!
Old 12-12-14, 07:33 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
Toyota choose to make it difficult to highly modified their motors to make sure the reliably reputation is not tarnished. Deep down, it's a business to make money. Please don't tell me that the LSx is bulletproof and world class. There are plenty of problems with the LS7 stock, and please don't even tell me that the new LT is that much better in term of build quality either. LSx motors are well supported because it is a relatively old tech and GM choose to make the computer easier to tune. Any motor can be made bulletproof once built. Making high hp on a huge displacement isn't hard. Making the same power/reliable on a 2 to 3 litters is way more difficult. That's when you require sophistication in the design and head flows

I'm not even hating on your beloved LSx by any mean. It's just a different way to make huge power and cheap. It's not just for everyone. I do have a built LS1 sitting in my garage right now, Crower forged crank and rods plus a fully built titanium valve train ported and polished head. So please don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about
The LSx motor for the most case is a bulletproof design. It is designed to fail rods and lifters before a gernading occurs. Which, coming from years of drag racing and building SBCs, thats an ideal situation. You'd rather a design where small parts fail in order to save the big boom.

In regards to the LS7, the engine Naturally Aspirated is a great package. Are you eluding to the issues if you boost it? If so, I agree with you. Its a problem between the modding world, and GM trying to shove 427 cubic inch into a small block. The cylinder walls are just too thin for boosted applications. If someone is dumb enough to try that, they will certainly be dumb enough to be ordering a new block when they throw a piston through it.

As for the LTx, I left that out intentionally. I have no idea what GM is doing....

And the same back to you. I do not intend to insult the IS-F. I find it a shame that you guys are so limited on what you can do. However, I was flamed when the first comment came out that domestic products are so unreliable. Of course it can unreliable, I'm trying to make 6,7,800 hp. lol Only thing I can say to that is, "when was the last time you saw a gearhead say, yep, everything is exactly how I want it"? lol
Old 12-12-14, 10:35 AM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sylvan your name looks familiar. I had a 350z and was on my350z a lot. I'm trying to remember your car. Was it the twin turbo G35 build by Dynosty??
Old 12-12-14, 02:02 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by darbs242

Technically you can run a full standalone but you are ripping everything out of the car to get the engine to run on its own computer. The IS also comes with an auto so you would need a TCU as well. I I am not sure if the IS TCU is independent from the engines ECU. At my buddies shop, they have a couple cars with Standalone systems but all manual cars.

Also if I remember correctly Pro-EFI and MOTEC were all looking for Piggyback systems and systems that ran along side the stock ECU which I can name a list of walls that can be ran into. MoTec Australia has an IS-F standalone that runs a NA engine, with custom transmission, but its gutted race car, you dont put what you dont need. And its more recent i think. To my knowledge there are no immediate tuning options that will make power, and keep all your vehicle amenities that run into the ECU. You would be running a custom wire harness with custom program. So it IS possible, but will run big money before any true break throughs.

Most of these companies do tunes for mass production for guys like us that own these cars and want to make power. The project was dropped because not everyone is going to gut a Lexus and take it to the race track even though I think the car is awesome. They are interested more in the guys who want plug and play options like GT-R's, subies, etc.

Long story short. Possible? YES Expensive? YES
Old 12-12-14, 05:19 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,835 Likes on 2,324 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
...However, I was flamed when the first comment came out that domestic products are so unreliable...
If you are referring to my post, I never said they're unreliable. I said Toyota is not Chevrolet, and Toyota typically over-engineer their engines so they don't have warranty issues. Or at least, this used to be the case. Not quite so sure with all the quality problems lately - coolant pumps, fan bolts, fuel system seals...none of this is what we historically expect from Toyota.

My point was simple - Toyota builds everything forged except the pistons, and the pistons they use are typically very understressed. The 2JZ-GTE is one of the best examples simply because the OEM build supports more than doubling the output without requiring any aftermarket internals. If you're clever and use a rising rate regulator, you can even use the stock injectors because they used sidefeed low impedance units, and the fuel rail with injectors has been tested at 125 psi in operation. Again, a real testament to the basic design being far beyond what is necessary. At the same time this was available from Toyota, Nissan offered a Z car with a turbo, as did Mitsubishi and Mazda. None of these other platforms were as easy and cheap to make power.

I grew up with circle track racing in the midwest. Chevrolet and Plymouth. SBC and Hemi. My dad worked in a shop building engines with parts from Richard Petty, and the team owner was a personal friend of Richard (who was in his prime at the time). I've seen a thing or two inside a pushrod engine, and I know how they're built from the factory. I also know factory builds are unfortunately prone to failure from friends who have bought (and destroyed) any number of SBC powered toys. It doesn't mean you can't build a good one, but it does mean the factory build is heavily influenced by the accounting team and not the engineering team. Just like everyone knows why the Corvette originally started using a factory Mobil 1 fill - they were too cheap to put an oil cooler on it. The engineers said we need an oil cooler. The accountants said fill it with Mobil 1 and we'll get a low enough failure rate to still make money. It's just how Detroit does business. I could go on and on with example after example, but the fundamental issue is, Detroit only started caring about quality because the Japanese forced them to do it. Milwaukee's finest, Harley Davidson, was forced by the Japanese to address quality issues because Harley Davidson would not do the right thing until they saw market share disappearing and the company's viability threatened.

So I'm not saying unreliable. I'm saying only as good as the accounting team will let them be. Too much short term thinking, and not enough long term thinking.

And the other part - at some point in life, you realize the quest for power is just another one of life's quests. I'm definitely a gearhead, but I got tired of pressing the start button and not getting started for some small reason or another. I got tired of modified parts failing at inopportune times. I got tired of buying parts "guaranteed" to make more power but only made more noise and seriously threatened reliability. There's a reason my IS-F is pretty stock, and there's a reason my Supra is pretty stock. They always start (unless I let the battery die), they never strand me anywhere, I've never had to flatbed one home, and they've been easy to maintain.

I went to an HPDE two years ago this coming March, and a good friend happened to be instructing. My wife was chatting with him about his student before they went out on track. We never got to speak to him again, his student hit a patch of coolant, spun the car into the trees and he died on impact. This kind of thing isn't supposed to happen at an HPDE. I called my dad about it, and he asked a really good question. "So at some point you have to ask yourself what are you trying to prove, and who are you trying to prove it to?"

I appreciate his wisdom.
Old 12-12-14, 05:57 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Newb here. But just got in to a 2008 ISF and have been lurking for the past month on this forum. Finally decided to register after reading this post and wanted to chime in.

How come no one here has brought up the Lexus LS650 built by TMG(Toyota Motorsports Germany)? They dropped in a 2UR-GSE engine, twinturbocharged it, and managed to squeeze 800hp out of it before 'detuning' it to 650hp.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ls650-tmg.html