IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

HELP!! Check VSC came on. No idea why.

Old 12-08-14, 10:32 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthFF
sounds like sensor faulting or loose wire. Thinking back I had same thing happen unitl mass airflow sensor completely faulted. thus, I would check regardless. You will notice a great deal of build up on sensor needles.

Question, have you checked your codes?
I have not checked codes and do not know how.

Where do I find the MAF sensor/needle? I'll google it, but if you already know, I'd appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
probaby a loose gas cap as just you recently filled up and the problem is gone. just a question does the check engine light come on? if it does I suggest scanning the code but if not just make sure maf is clean and gas cap is on with 2 clicks tight and secure.
I'm not sure the gas cap had anything to do with it b/c the lights came on Saturday night before I filled up this morning. If the gas cap had been loose, wouldn't the warning have come on earlier?

And thank god no, no check engine light.
Old 12-08-14, 10:39 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

MAF sensor is screwed into the intake pipe that connects the air filter to the intake manifold.

I'd recommend removing the entire intake pipe to see if there are signs of oil/contamination. This is done by loosening the jubilee clips with a 10mm socket.

I'm going on the basis you have the stock OEM airbox installed. If you are running a different intake, it's slightly different.

I can get you some photos, but won't be till Saturday at the earliest.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Quattron (09-02-23)
Old 12-08-14, 10:42 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Originally Posted by PDP180180
MAF sensor is screwed into the intake pipe that connects the air filter to the intake manifold.

I'd recommend removing the entire intake pipe to see if there are signs of oil/contamination. This is done by loosening the jubilee clips with a 10mm socket.

I'm going on the basis you have the stock OEM airbox installed. If you are running a different intake, it's slightly different.

I can get you some photos, but won't be till Saturday at the earliest.

Good luck!
I've got an Injen intake currently. Hate the thing, but it came with the car. I kept my Joe-Z intake from my last ISF, but I need to get the stock airbox in order to reinstall.
Quattron (09-02-23)
Old 12-08-14, 11:05 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Ok. So on the metal body of the Injen pipe that goes from the intake manifold to the intake filter, you will find the MAF screwed in at the back (filter end). Usually held in with two small screws.

This can be removed and checked without taking off the intake pipe itself, but if it is dirty, I would recommend taking off the entire pipe to clean it thoroughly.

Let us know how you get on.
Quattron (09-02-23)
Old 12-08-14, 11:06 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Bad gas cap. I have the same problem. Be sure that when you close the cap that the tether is not pulling the cap loose when you close the fuel door. I used a little oil on the tether ring and then made sure that the tether was loose after I secured the cap.

I think Lexus has some bad caps. If you call Lexus about the issue they tell you to check the cap. Covered under the emissions warranty. Next time you go in, get the cap replaced.
Old 12-08-14, 11:15 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 77 Posts

Those lights come on randomly some times for me... probably happened atleast 6 times in the past year. Car runs fine, but I pull over, restart the car and the lights are cleared. I'm sure it has to do with one of the sensors on the car...either a loose connection or something's dirty. Hope you get it figured out.
Old 12-08-14, 01:15 PM
melbitoast
Instructor

Ok. So on the metal body of the Injen pipe that goes from the intake manifold to the intake filter, you will find the MAF screwed in at the back (filter end). Usually held in with two small screws.

This can be removed and checked without taking off the intake pipe itself, but if it is dirty, I would recommend taking off the entire pipe to clean it thoroughly.

Let us know how you get on.
I'll see what my noob self can figure out. Thanks for the help!

Originally Posted by lorenr
Bad gas cap. I have the same problem. Be sure that when you close the cap that the tether is not pulling the cap loose when you close the fuel door. I used a little oil on the tether ring and then made sure that the tether was loose after I secured the cap.

I think Lexus has some bad caps. If you call Lexus about the issue they tell you to check the cap. Covered under the emissions warranty. Next time you go in, get the cap replaced.
The tether has been disconnected from the door the whole time, so there's no pulling on the cap. So, I'm assuming that's not the issue. I appreciate the idea though!
Old 12-08-14, 01:50 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by melbitoast
I'll see what my noob self can figure out. Thanks for the help!

The tether has been disconnected from the door the whole time, so there's no pulling on the cap. So, I'm assuming that's not the issue. I appreciate the idea though!

You're welcome.

Where abouts are you in Texas by the way? Only I get over to Houston sometimes for business.
Old 12-08-14, 08:18 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

That brings up a good point, approximately two months ago when I had the MAF error, I did replace the gas cap with a factory cap and noticed the rubber o-ring in the new cap provided a very positive lock in comparison to old and was not as easy to tighten.. A must replace at about 60K in my honest opinion. Better safe than sorry.
Old 12-09-14, 06:16 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

You're welcome.

Where abouts are you in Texas by the way? Only I get over to Houston sometimes for business.
I'm in north Austin, about 3 hours west of Houston.

There are quite a few Fs in Houston, including some very, very modded ones! There are a few of us in Austin, and most of us have made contact with each other. Still need to get a big group together for a car show.
Old 12-09-14, 06:19 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

That brings up a good point, approximately two months ago when I had the MAF error, I did replace the gas cap with a factory cap and noticed the rubber o-ring in the new cap provided a very positive lock in comparison to old and was not as easy to tighten.. A must replace at about 60K in my honest opinion. Better safe than sorry.
How much was the new cap? Did you go thru the stealership or Sewell?
Old 12-09-14, 09:09 AM
matthewusm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have the lights come back on since you've gotten gas? As someone previously posted, could be something as simple as your gas cap wasn't tightened all the way. These cars and sensors are very sensitive. Hopefully it's nothing major.
Old 12-09-14, 10:21 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Like 25 dollars from Northside Lexus
Old 12-09-14, 12:13 PM
melbitoast
Instructor

Originally Posted by matthewusm
Have the lights come back on since you've gotten gas? As someone previously posted, could be something as simple as your gas cap wasn't tightened all the way. These cars and sensors are very sensitive. Hopefully it's nothing major.
Thankfully, no. Nothing has come back on as of yet. Hopefully it stays that way.
Old 12-09-14, 12:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,325 Posts

I'm at nearly twice this mileage on the original cap and no issues. More importantly, if you can pull codes from your car, you can find out really fast if the cap is the issue and replace it. This fault does not make the car immobile, so it's just an annoyance.

I'm a big fan of doing the right thing, but I'd rather spend money on better tires. They make the most difference in the car's performance and safety (yes, better tires do actually stop the car in a shorter distance unlike drilled rotors or braided stainless brake lines or some other brand of brake pads). I like to focus on spending my money where it has real impact on what I want the car to do...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP!! Check VSC came on. No idea why.