IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

HELP!! Check VSC came on. No idea why.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-14, 01:11 PM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Exclamation HELP!! Check VSC came on. No idea why.

As I pulled into a parking lot last night, my "check VSC" warning message came on. Simultaneously, the Parking Brake light, ABS light, Traction Control, and VSC lights came on. The car did not go into limp mode though, and the car seems to operate as normal (even when going WOT).

This is the last thing I need right now, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Any ideas??
The following users liked this post:
Quattron (09-02-23)
Old 12-07-14, 01:42 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...abs-light.html
Old 12-07-14, 02:03 PM
melbitoast
Instructor

^^^
Thanks...i guess. Just read through that thread. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like any quic easy fix, or even a fix at all. FML :/
Quattron (09-02-23)
Old 12-07-14, 03:00 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Sorry to see this mate.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 10-15mins, and re-connecting it? You'll lose your memory seat settings, one touch windows, MPG data, but you can re-programme the seats and windows easily enough(all in the handbook).

Know it sounds obvious, but it worked on a guys car over here after I accidentally plugged in his Apexi throttle controller the wrong way round!

Have you done or fitted anything new recently??

My point is the VSC can kick in for the simplest of reasons. Hoping that's the case for you dude.

Check your MAF sensor as well. Just work your way around all the wires, hoses, clips to see if you can find anything lose, broken, etc.

Hope you get it fixed.

Cheers.

Peter
Old 12-07-14, 03:32 PM
melbitoast
Instructor

I started the car up earlier and drove around the block and nothing popped up. So that was encouraging. I thought about disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and reconnecting to see if that helps.

Peter, the only new thing in over a year was putting in a new battery 2 weeks ago.
Old 12-07-14, 03:45 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

I know battery's can cause issues if they don't crank enough amps etc.

Who supplied the new battery? Are you confident it was the correct type/size for your car?

Does the car start up on the button?

How many miles have you done since you fitted the new battery??

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to cover all the bases.
Old 12-07-14, 03:56 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I had the same problem, im sure many of us haven't checked our MASS AIRFLOW sensor in a while if ever.... I checked codes and was the MASS airflow circuit. check your sensor. Mine was gunked up with oil from KN which I will never use again. The entire intake assembly was so nasty. Hope that is your issue among all it could be.
Old 12-07-14, 04:17 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by StealthFF
I had the same problem, im sure many of us haven't checked our MASS AIRFLOW sensor in a while if ever.... I checked codes and was the MASS airflow circuit. check your sensor. Mine was gunked up with oil from KN which I will never use again. The entire intake assembly was so nasty. Hope that is your issue among all it could be.
Had you re-oiled your K&N, or was it just from the packaging?

Only ask as I have one on my car, but may change it if the oil is likely to mess up my MAF sensor!

Thanks.
Quattron (09-02-23)
Old 12-07-14, 04:46 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Well the oil is a key part in its capability to filter the air before enters your motor. I knew this was a problem in the past, but using on previous cars that did not create as much suction or vacuum I have never seen the gunk this bad, and generally I check every 20K , but I did fail assuming this was a part of the intake/decarb process which I assumed wrong and had been in such state for over 60K miles.

Any who the heat in Texas makes the situation worse. Because the engine bay temps / intake temps are pretty high above 120 degrees F safe to assume or much higher, the air filter oil at those temperatures breaks down and is very easily carried into the intake with the passing air accumulates on the Mass Airflow sensor faulting it (as it is an heating element to differentiate air intake temperatures).

Thus, I went to a dry filter, and no more mess.I have to filters from aFe. If you go online you can actually spec your own airfilter which I did. I have the cone with PRO5R, which is an oiled option I put in for when I go to oklahoma on very dusty roads, and the other with PRODRYS for the F..

Link of site here : http://afepower.com/shop/custom/filter.php
Quattron (09-02-23)
Old 12-07-14, 04:55 PM
melbitoast
Instructor

How do I check the mass airflow sensor? I know squat about cars, so tell me as if I'm 3 years old.
Old 12-07-14, 04:59 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Also, thats what I did bc I have a one-off intake..for your application you may be able to search for best price on a PRODRYS filter or one of your choice that is. Note: Oiled is great for dusty and very dirty areas, but sensors and intake parts may require more attention hope that helps but not to mislead.
Quattron (09-02-23)
Old 12-07-14, 05:01 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-cleaning.html

Heres an example im sure than are many others out there...type in DIY mass airflow cleaning lexus is250 etc. didnt see one for ISF.. didnt look to hard studying for finals but you get the point.

Also, I remember certain cleaners may be harmful I used what my friend sun uses and he is a Lex cert. tech, and it was unchlorinated brake cleaner. I just made sure I blew very lightly with computer keyboard cleaner type air press, and let dry and viola.

Last edited by StealthFF; 12-07-14 at 05:05 PM.
Quattron (09-02-23)
Old 12-08-14, 06:53 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

I'm so confused. I started my car this morning, and all the same warning lights came on after not coming on yesterday. I stopped to get gas on the way to work this morning (maybe 5 mins away), started the car after filling up, and all the lights were gone. And they did not come back on at any time while commuting.

Pretty baffled at this point.
Quattron (09-02-23)
Old 12-08-14, 07:57 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

sounds like sensor faulting or loose wire. Thinking back I had same thing happen unitl mass airflow sensor completely faulted. thus, I would check regardless. You will notice a great deal of build up on sensor needles.

Question, have you checked your codes?
Quattron (09-02-23)
Old 12-08-14, 07:58 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by melbitoast
I'm so confused. I started my car this morning, and all the same warning lights came on after not coming on yesterday. I stopped to get gas on the way to work this morning (maybe 5 mins away), started the car after filling up, and all the lights were gone. And they did not come back on at any time while commuting.

Pretty baffled at this point.
probaby a loose gas cap as just you recently filled up and the problem is gone. just a question does the check engine light come on? if it does I suggest scanning the code but if not just make sure maf is clean and gas cap is on with 2 clicks tight and secure.
Quattron (09-02-23)

Quick Reply: HELP!! Check VSC came on. No idea why.