IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F Maintenance and Performance Test Video

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-14, 09:05 PM
BieberNutz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the positive train - great job overall, well done!

The only bit of constructive criticism/feedback I'd suggest would be to include things like recommended torque values (of the oil filter and drain plug, maybe even wheel lugs since you popped those off too) and the steps referenced for how to reset the maintenance light/indicator - I recall a previous poster asking about that. I feel like you add those and it would make a video like this sticky worthy! Again, only intended to be positive feedback - overall you did an excellent job man

Btw, nice trick with the exhaust. Did you pick that up here on the forum or did you come up with that idea on your own? Definitely an idea for those that want the sound without sacrificing too much of their budget. Not to mention it opens the door for multiple options/possibilities; which it sounds like you exercise - smart man

Last edited by BieberNutz; 12-08-14 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-09-14, 05:18 AM
Underdog_
Rookie

Originally Posted by BieberNutz
+1 on the positive train - great job overall, well done!

The only bit of constructive criticism/feedback I'd suggest would be to include things like recommended torque values (of the oil filter and drain plug, maybe even wheel lugs since you popped those off too) and the steps referenced for how to reset the maintenance light/indicator - I recall a previous poster asking about that. I feel like you add those and it would make a video like this sticky worthy! Again, only intended to be positive feedback - overall you did an excellent job man

Btw, nice trick with the exhaust. Did you pick that up here on the forum or did you come up with that idea on your own? Definitely an idea for those that want the sound without sacrificing too much of their budget. Not to mention it opens the door for multiple options/possibilities; which it sounds like you exercise - smart man

Thank you! I tell ya, all of the support I've recieved by folks on here has been really cool!

Thank you also for the suggestion/feedback, I kinda purposely leave out torque figures and such as I'm always afraid I'm going to forget a step or tidbit that will result in someone kersploding their car. I don't intend for these videos to be tutorials, I just like describing a process or a build journey. I make these videos as fast as I can in my spare time and adding that level of "step-by-step" detail doubles or triples the time it takes to make them. Also FYI the oil light instruction are in your owners manual.

I'm glad you got a kick out of the exhaust setup, it's just something that popped in my head when I was thinking about a nice option that could be modular depending on my mood. I've been very pleased with it and swapping different muffler setups is easy. V-bands would make it easier to swap mufflers out, but I chose this route for a few reasons. Here are some more photos and detail on the setup:
http://isf.turbomirage.com/DIY_isf_muffler_delete.html

Thanks again and have a good one!

-Tom
Old 12-09-14, 06:57 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

OP: You have done a true service to both the ISF community and to the car enthusiast crowd at large by making this video. Your editing skills are very good and the video is highly informative while being "watchable" at the same time. I tip my hat to you, sir!

Watching this video makes me like my ISF even more. It's truly a special car in my opinion. I realize that there are other cars that are faster and better on a track, but really, if you want a well-rounded car that can be high performance, good on gas, and reliable, I swear I don't know what else does it better than the ISF.

I'd originally planned on keeping my car a few years and then maybe trading it in on something else, as has been my habit throughout most of my 19 years of driving, but this car is a keeper for good long while.
Old 12-09-14, 04:17 PM
Underdog_
Rookie

Originally Posted by vbb
OP: You have done a true service to both the ISF community and to the car enthusiast crowd at large by making this video. Your editing skills are very good and the video is highly informative while being "watchable" at the same time. I tip my hat to you, sir!

Watching this video makes me like my ISF even more. It's truly a special car in my opinion. I realize that there are other cars that are faster and better on a track, but really, if you want a well-rounded car that can be high performance, good on gas, and reliable, I swear I don't know what else does it better than the ISF.

I'd originally planned on keeping my car a few years and then maybe trading it in on something else, as has been my habit throughout most of my 19 years of driving, but this car is a keeper for good long while.
Thank you for the kind support and I'm glad you enjoyed the video! Very well said, this car is definitely special and does so many things well, when others just do one or two things well.
Old 12-09-14, 05:53 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Great Podcast Tom!

Digger08
Old 12-09-14, 06:35 PM
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol, loved the video! good work brother, makes me love mine even more.
Old 12-09-14, 08:51 PM
BieberNutz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Underdog_
Thank you! I tell ya, all of the support I've recieved by folks on here has been really cool!

Thank you also for the suggestion/feedback, I kinda purposely leave out torque figures and such as I'm always afraid I'm going to forget a step or tidbit that will result in someone kersploding their car. I don't intend for these videos to be tutorials, I just like describing a process or a build journey. I make these videos as fast as I can in my spare time and adding that level of "step-by-step" detail doubles or triples the time it takes to make them. Also FYI the oil light instruction are in your owners manual.

I'm glad you got a kick out of the exhaust setup, it's just something that popped in my head when I was thinking about a nice option that could be modular depending on my mood. I've been very pleased with it and swapping different muffler setups is easy. V-bands would make it easier to swap mufflers out, but I chose this route for a few reasons. Here are some more photos and detail on the setup:
http://isf.turbomirage.com/DIY_isf_muffler_delete.html

Thanks again and have a good one!

-Tom
When you put it like that it makes perfect sense haha. Certainly can't be too careful these days. Appreciate the link to the DIY instructions, I have a few folks who may be interested in them - very cool man
Old 12-10-14, 04:08 AM
Underdog_
Rookie

Originally Posted by digger08
Great Podcast Tom!
Digger08
Thank you again everyone for taking the time to check out the video and to tell me that you enjoyed it!

Thank you also to Digger08 for listening to our new Podcast and for the feedback! Just in case anyone would like to take a listen to our new weekly "car guy" podcast, here 'tis!

Apple iTunes: https://itun.es/i6BY4Ln
MP3 Download: http://traffic.libsyn.com/tomandjoes...dJoe120814.mp3
RSS Feed for podcast applications: http://tomandjoeshow.libsyn.com/rss
Stream it via a player on my website: http://www.turbomirage.com

Thanks again!

Last edited by Underdog_; 12-10-14 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Added more detail
Old 12-14-14, 01:06 PM
Pole Position

Quick question Tom, how does your dash LED screen read 'F' in between the gauges while you're driving? I can't seem to find that option when I toggle through the screen options. I usually just keep a blank screen but that would be cool.
Old 12-14-14, 01:46 PM
Reaper21
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The car needs to be in manual mode and the screen needs to be on the gear positions. In Auto mode the gears are shown, in manual mode the F is shown.
Old 12-14-14, 01:53 PM
Pole Position

Ah, I see. Thanks.
Old 12-15-14, 09:03 PM
tommigsr
Pole Position

thanks Tom for an awesome video
Old 12-16-14, 01:10 PM
stratman
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Extremely well done! I agree that the IS F is an amazing and fun sport sedan. Both my '09 and '12 were Star Fire Pearl White and while I no longer own either, they were both great and, yes, the gas mileage was very good for the engine size and performance. If I had more room I definitely would have kept the '12.
Old 12-16-14, 02:31 PM
Underdog_
Rookie

Originally Posted by 786
Quick question Tom, how does your dash LED screen read 'F' in between the gauges while you're driving? I can't seem to find that option when I toggle through the screen options. I usually just keep a blank screen but that would be cool.
It is definitely a cool little feature. Thanks to Reaper21 for the quick answer on this!
Old 12-16-14, 02:32 PM
Underdog_
Rookie

Originally Posted by tommigsr
thanks Tom for an awesome video
You're welcome, glad you liked it!

Quick Reply: IS-F Maintenance and Performance Test Video