IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Some guys just don't get the "F"

Old 11-26-14, 05:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I will admit that one of the things I didnt like about the F is the fact that people think its a regular IS. Coming from an LS460 on 22s that bothered me a little ( my last car had presence that no IS can match ). I have since gotten over it ( the smiles this thing puts on my face when I dive wipes all that BS away ) , but an exhaust would help make sure people know its something special.
Old 11-26-14, 06:38 PM
wing
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new F-Sports have really messed up the average person. Look at all the people registering on this site saying they bought a new 250 ISF!

I've seen ISF's forsale on the local classifieds to find out they are just 250s.

There is a USB 250 F-sport at work that looks really good. But when I told co-workers I bought and ISF they thought it was the same.... no 416 baby!
Old 11-26-14, 06:51 PM
tronim
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by thatnewguy
I almost hate telling people. It makes me feel like a jerk sometimes… it usually goes like this:

"Oh is that one of the x50 F Sports?"
"No, it's the IS-F."
Look of confusion
"The one with 416 hp, a V8…?"

They usually ask a few more questions, but just feel a little pretentious when I try to explain.
So I see the OP beat me to the punch about starting a thread regarding this very issue.
I feel like I'm in some Abbot and Costello 'Who's on first?' standup routine whenever I try to explain that I have an F and it's not the x50 F Sport version Now I just smile and keep walking.
Old 11-26-14, 07:07 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Had a valet ask me about the car when I gave him the keys. I told him it was an is-f and his reply was "awesome....so is it a 250 or a 350 f ". I try to keep the explanation as simple as possible so I don't seep like a pompous ***
Old 11-26-14, 07:34 PM
Scott610
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts

I go through this all the time with my isf it's really annoying but all said love my car but winter time right now too much horsepower for the snow. Driving other car for now .
Old 11-26-14, 10:48 PM
speeddem0n
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scamsel
oh ha i never knew that, i thought the 250 and 350 were just kinda of random numbers actuatlly, what a dummy ha, thanks man.
Most car manufacturers that use numbers use them for a reason the same way which means something and not randomly.
Old 11-27-14, 06:16 AM
RMA
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love driving this car, get compliments along with a bit of confusion as to it being an F sport, yadda yadda yadda. Certainly a head turner especially with down pipes/exhaust installed & also love the fact its a 4 door along w a spacious trunk which makes it more practical vs the coupes I has driven over past several years.

Last edited by RMA; 11-27-14 at 06:32 AM.
Old 11-27-14, 07:07 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

And some guys do get it. When I had my F for just a couple of weeks 2 guys pulled up to me at a light and the passenger was literally drooling on the door of the pickup. Then he says "It's an old guy" The wife & I were cracking up...
Old 11-27-14, 08:23 PM
jst17
Driver

tell him its an IS450 Diesel, so its supposed to have rough ride.
Old 11-28-14, 10:03 AM
blckbrd
Pole Position

The other night...

Valet: "Custom exhaust?"
Me: "Nope!"
Valet: (walks around to the back of the car looking for a badge) "250 or 350?"
Me: "F!"
Valet: "Nice! Twin turbo!"
Me: "Uh..."

Sometimes it's just not worth trying to explain. I do love the compliments on the sound of the engine though!

I walked out of work the other day and two cops were standing near my car looking at it. As I approached the car, the one cop was telling the other "now that's the car you need!" I unlocked the door, said to him "hell yeah you do!" and drove of with enough engine roar to get him excited but not so excited he'd pull me over.
Old 11-28-14, 02:33 PM
Cobra1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same issues w/ my 300c srt8..
After they ask if the quad tips are aftermarket I' just start her up and watch their face....
Old 11-29-14, 08:49 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I was at cars and coffee this morning and it gathered some attention. I heard a few comments like:
"This will be the only F you see"
And a GTR guy said "anybody know anything about these things?"

Last time it didn't get any attention. But today I saw a few pics being taken and hopefully a video from peeling out of the lot
Old 11-29-14, 11:37 AM
DarkSeph
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blckbrd
The other night...

Valet: "Custom exhaust?"
Me: "Nope!"
Valet: (walks around to the back of the car looking for a badge) "250 or 350?"
Me: "F!"
Valet: "Nice! Twin turbo!"
Me: "Uh..."

Sometimes it's just not worth trying to explain. I do love the compliments on the sound of the engine though!

I walked out of work the other day and two cops were standing near my car looking at it. As I approached the car, the one cop was telling the other "now that's the car you need!" I unlocked the door, said to him "hell yeah you do!" and drove of with enough engine roar to get him excited but not so excited he'd pull me over.
Hahaha! Awesome !!!
Old 11-29-14, 02:10 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I generally encounter three types of people:
1.) The true car enthusiast who knows what the F is and gives compliments on the car.
2.) The car enthusiast who knows a bit about performance cars, but just hasn't ever heard of the F or doesn't know much about it.
3.) The non car enthusiast who has no clue what the car is.

On the first group, I'm happy to tell them all about the car, performance numbers and even give them a ride in the car. I've let my close friends and my dad drive it so they can experience it for themselves.

On the second group, I usually just tell them it's Lexus' answer to the M3. That puts it in perspective for them and they understand what it is. Seems everyone that's even marginally in to cars knows what the M3 is and never confuses it with the M-Sport package.

On the 3rd group, I just tell them "yeah, it's pretty quick" and don't elaborate much. I'm sure this group still thinks it is a modded IS250 or IS350.

I love the sleeper aspect of the car. I like that it is so rare that most people have never even seen one up close. One of my favorite things about owning this car.
Old 11-29-14, 02:25 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

went to local tire shop around my neighborhood to test fit my aftermarket rims and the tech saw the F badge on the fender and said, "this is the LFA huh." I was like, no. Its an IS F...and he was like huh? look like something never heard before...lol...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Some guys just don't get the "F"