IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Some guys just don't get the "F"

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-14, 11:12 AM
justinco
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a similar experience just yesterday with my PDR guy. He said his wife has a Lexus w/ the V6 and thought my car had the same. He told me when he started it up he said "whoa, that's no V6.." and proceeded to go look the car up on the internet to see what it had in it hah

Can't wait for exhaust so it sounds even more beastly!
Old 11-26-14, 11:13 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

The reasons I searched for and bought the IS F:

1. There is nothing better than owning a true "Q Ship". They are the baddest things ever. The F is a Q Ship.
2. Two Lexus dealers tried to talk me out of buying one. They told my wife that it was too dangerous for someone retired like me. One salesman (an X racer) felt bad when his customer died in an F.
3. It is a Toyota and will not break. I own two LS 430's and they never go in the shop. They are just that easy to work on yourself.
4. Few know anything about the car. In a year and a half only two people even knew what it was.
5. After I installed new lower control arm bushings and a Borla exhaust, My wife actually said, "wow that thing really sounds fast". And then, "Loren that is the smartest decision you've ever made".

Some people know anyway.
Old 11-26-14, 11:27 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts
Default I 15

Sup fellows, i just got here in vegas to see my sister for the holiday. So on my way here, theres this 2013 camaro no SS or RS it came with the ugly *** rims with utah plate, wanted to run with me, but i gnored it. Anyway he pull up right to me and both gunned it, i just took off bam...waited for him again looked at me like..damn! I just smiled...lol..
Old 11-26-14, 11:50 AM
hacker_720
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mcgivern
I tell them it's a "500".
That's great, I also say it's an IS500.

I destroyed a V6 mustang, we both ended up at the same coffee shop, he came over all excited and said the IS-F was his dream car. That was nice to hear from a guy driving a modified mustang.
Old 11-26-14, 11:59 AM
dvarapala
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "sleeper" aspect is the primary reason I went from a C6 Corvette to an IS F. A wise man once said (paraphrased) "the more overtly your car displays the ability to go fast the less capable it will be of actually doing so." Corvettes are fast and look great, but they attract way too much unwanted attention (i.e. from the po-po). The IS F, on the other hand, looks to the average Joe like just another Lexus sedan, not even worthy of a second glance. Which is just fine with me - I'm not an attention *****, I just want to drive fast and stay under the RADAR (so to speak).
Old 11-26-14, 12:28 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been saying this since "F-sport" was introduced. Lexus bastardized the label F in order to make some additional cash. I'm sorry, but changing a suspension, and adding some chrome, does not make the car an F. Additionally, so many MORE people have F-sports, that 90% of drivers can't tell the difference in what F and F-sport is. If they wanted to make a "tuned up" version of the IS250 and IS350, it should have been labelled "GT" or something.

However, Lexus isn't alone, Cadillac has V-sport, and BMW has M-sport. They have all ruined their performance labels in the name of extra cash...
Old 11-26-14, 12:34 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by dvarapala
The "sleeper" aspect is the primary reason I went from a C6 Corvette to an IS F. A wise man once said (paraphrased) "the more overtly your car displays the ability to go fast the less capable it will be of actually doing so." Corvettes are fast and look great, but they attract way too much unwanted attention (i.e. from the po-po). The IS F, on the other hand, looks to the average Joe like just another Lexus sedan, not even worthy of a second glance. Which is just fine with me - I'm not an attention *****, I just want to drive fast and stay under the RADAR (so to speak).
+1 for the sleeper look.

A colleague of mine saw a grey ISx50 parked in the front of our building at work and asked me if I came in early to get a parking spot out in front. Told him that's not my car. Him being a BMW 135 owner he says rather smugly, "oh I guess they all look the same". I told him that's just the way I like it ...
Old 11-26-14, 12:42 PM
LO 21
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickISF
I do like when people don't assume, like in this story. I backed my IS-F in a spot next to the restaurant where there are all windows and people eating would definitely hear me backing in. I didn't do it on purpose but it was the only spot left. I saw a really good looking blonde lady checking out the car as I got out but I didn't think anything of it. So I'm sitting down talking with my co workers and she actually got up and came up to me to ask about the car. She said she was looking for an IS350 but she had never seen an IS-F before. I explained it to her and she gave me a big smile and said, "I need to get one of those"
...and you needed to get her number!
Old 11-26-14, 12:52 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

And let her test drive it too if she is cute lolz
Old 11-26-14, 01:38 PM
scamsel
Advanced

Originally Posted by hacker_720
That's great, I also say it's an IS500.

I destroyed a V6 mustang, we both ended up at the same coffee shop, he came over all excited and said the IS-F was his dream car. That was nice to hear from a guy driving a modified mustang.
nice, and also shocking, ha.

i love the is500 response whoever mentioned it first, so great, maybe i'll say the 416 or is400+
Old 11-26-14, 02:23 PM
LO 21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scamsel
nice, and also shocking, ha.

i love the is500 response whoever mentioned it first, so great, maybe i'll say the 416 or is400+
No no haha. The 250 or 350 refer to the engine size (2.5 liters or 3.5 liters), so our response would absolutely NEED to be IS500, because of our 5.0 liter engine!
Old 11-26-14, 02:48 PM
scamsel
Advanced

Originally Posted by LO 21
No no haha. The 250 or 350 refer to the engine size (2.5 liters or 3.5 liters), so our response would absolutely NEED to be IS500, because of our 5.0 liter engine!
oh ha i never knew that, i thought the 250 and 350 were just kinda of random numbers actuatlly, what a dummy ha, thanks man.
Old 11-26-14, 03:49 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

lol...I had a SUV pull up next to me as I was parking a month ago. From the passenger seat a 45(?) yr old lady was wide eyed and asked me what model I had. She had an IS250 and heard my exhaust note as I went through the parking lot, got excited, and made her husband follow me until I parked...it was pretty funny.
Old 11-26-14, 04:43 PM
powermungr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had been purposely telling my boss I bought an "IS". Everything was good until one day I picked him up from LAX and three guys were like that's an ISF. He googled it-- and life has not been the same since.

He now ask questions like, "Why is it so quiet if you have a big V8" and "How many times did you have to fill up today"...
Old 11-26-14, 04:52 PM
LO 21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scamsel
oh ha i never knew that, i thought the 250 and 350 were just kinda of random numbers actuatlly, what a dummy ha, thanks man.
No worries haha.

On some brands, it is indeed random. Here's a basic jist:

Lexus:
Letters = model of car. First two numbers = engine size.
(IS250 = IS model, 2.5 liter engine)
(IS F = IS model, true F version) [if you haven't figured that out by the 30th post of this thread, well then you shouldn't deserve to ever own or even drive an IS F ]
(GS250 = GS model, 3.5 liter engine)

BMW:
First number = model of car. Second and third numbers = engine size.
(435i = 4 series, 3.5 liter engine)
(M4 = 4 series, true M version, similar to our true F version, but obviously not even worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence.)

Audi:
Letter = performance level of car. Number following the letter = model of car.
(A5 = basic 5 series)
(S5 = higher performance 5 series)
(RS5 = highest performance 5 series)

Infiniti:
[Note: they recently changed their system, and I haven't bothered taking the two minutes to look into it.]
Old system was like this:
Letter = model of car. Numbers following letter = engine size
(G37 = G series, 3.7 liter engine)
New system (I think):
Letter equals type of vehicle, number equals series. (The numbers DO NOT refer to engine size anymore. Engine size they put on the side of the car now, on the front fenders I believe.)
Q50 = the new sedan. Q60 = the larger sedan. I think Q70 will be the new coupe.
Who knows. Who cares. What idiots, anyways.

Last edited by LO 21; 11-26-14 at 04:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Some guys just don't get the "F"