IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Some guys just don't get the "F"

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-14, 05:33 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't lose sleep over it, but it makes Google searches annoying at times.

Also, people intuitively think F Sport is the performance version, when they hear that the other variant is just an F. Can't really blame them, either.
Old 12-04-14, 07:33 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

This thread reminds me of all the ridiculous/funny questions and comments Toyota Supra owners have to deal with from the general public on a daily basis since both vehicles have a similar production rate and rarity in the US:

"Is that a Celica/Eclipse?"
"I'll buy your car for $6k."
"Is it a V8?"
"Why did you go single turbo? Twin-turbo is faster."

To this day, it seems that the average joe can't comprehend that there are high-performance Toyota and Lexus vehicles in existence.
Old 12-04-14, 08:47 AM
kirk200
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BieberNutz
LMAO - love it hahaha. My neighbors girl told me she was "getting my car" in January when her current lease is up. Naturally I asked "you're getting an 'F'" to which she replied "yeah!". Of course she went on to talk about how because it was a 2014 so it was the "newer body style" at which point I realized she didn't realize exactly what she was talking about or implying haha. As most have pointed out, it's hard to get upset with folks because most of these uneducated consumers are bred partly due to how confusing Lexus is making it with their advertising and how much they're pushing the F-Sport option.

I made and shared the image below a while back citing how VERY different these emblems were despite what first glance would have you believe

I love this picture. So close yet so different
P.S. I also have used "IS500" before to explain the difference...
- Kirk

Last edited by kirk200; 12-04-14 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-04-14, 10:02 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I still don't mind the confusion the average bear will have distinguishing between F and F-Sport...IMO, anybody that cares will know the difference...

Kicking myself for not snapping a pic of the x50 I saw with F-Sport badge to the left of 'IS' on the back of the car. So much effort...why not just get an actual F?
Old 12-04-14, 11:02 AM
LO 21
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Great picture comparing the two emblems! Another easy way to describe the difference.

And yea, the "F Sport" name, to those not familiar, actually makes it sound like it's a BETTER car than the F. Good move on Lexus' behalf, in terms of marketing at least. *****ty for us F owners though haha.

"Yes, I like your 250 as well, looks very nice. They couldn't name ours IS500, so they just left the F 'F Sport' is just a "looks" package actually, not performance. [Show the picture comparing the two logos]. And the F retails for about double the price."
Old 12-04-14, 11:53 AM
Reaper21
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just browsing The Lexus Collection website and there literally is not one item listed for the F brand. There are numerous F Sport items, however. Very annoying. Why does it seem like Lexus themselves refuse to acknowledge the F division? You make a $375k supercar and you can't produce some nice accessories for it?
Old 12-04-14, 12:16 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Reaper21
I was just browsing The Lexus Collection website and there literally is not one item listed for the F brand. There are numerous F Sport items, however. Very annoying. Why does it seem like Lexus themselves refuse to acknowledge the F division? You make a $375k supercar and you can't produce some nice accessories for it?
Several new RC-F owners are getting a "F" gift package:

The LFA owners received some fancy travel gear:

Old 12-04-14, 12:43 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by obturator
Didn't know you F guys were so against the F Sport. Let's just look at it this way: the more F sport Lexus sells, the more money Lexus can put into R&D in the F. These cars are not high volume sellers so I don't believe they solely generate enough revenue to sustain future development. Yes, the F sport may dilute the F brand, but it also brings more exposure to the F. Like some have stated, the average joe may not even know what F is all about. So enjoy your Fs. They are special cars. Know that people who own F sports truly respect the F. Why do you think some posers replace the F sport emblem with the F? Lol
I'm not against any other cars. Every car has it good points & bad points. You drive what you like. I, like my IS-F. And I also like my Bimmer.
Old 12-04-14, 01:32 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 77 Posts

I had to smog my car recently... the shop mechanic gets in my car to bring it into the shop, gets out and gives me a crazy look. Asks me, what kind of car is this? That can't be the stock motor... what motor did you put in here? Apparently he's never seen one before.
Old 12-04-14, 01:47 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Great reading and stories and you all 'true ISF' owners have had many similar experiences, which is nice in my opinion.

I knew I had something special when I was driving home from the dealership and I was getting 'looks'. You guys know what I mean and I was not driving hard or aggressive, pretty much old fart mode (which I am not).

The next day I was playing in a tennis tournament and had backed in away from most parked cars and potential dings from A holes and when I got out,, someone with with an Infinity sport model (Q37S or something like that) and asked if he could take some pictures of my car and I said sure. He proceeded to take every outside photo angle possible and kept saying this car looks bader in person. I believe he had an idea what and ISF was and this was well before the diluted F Sprts started pouring out

Then the following week at my tennis club and I hear one of their employees (a mid-30;s dude) going to every court asking who's ISF it was. When he found out it was mine, he basically called me every name in the book (in good taste and phun) and he too asked if he could take some pictures.

At that time, I realized the ISF was a different car...

Dave
Old 12-05-14, 10:52 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Its funny because since this thread has popped up I have been getting looks and compliments on the car. I will admit that when I go out for track days many people , including the guys with the M3 and M4s have noticed and complimented the car.

The people who know what an ISF is are the real car people.
Old 12-06-14, 10:14 AM
nonstopz30
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think the "f-sport" branding really takes away for the REAL F models. they souldve never did that in the first place.
Old 12-06-14, 11:38 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nonstopz30
i think the "f-sport" branding really takes away for the REAL F models. they souldve never did that in the first place.
Yeah Lexus should have never became competitive. And there's only one "F" model anyways so what does it matter. Audi has S-Line, Merc has AMG Sport pk or whatever, BMW has M Sport. And all of those brands have several S models, AMG models, and M models. Lexus made F Sport on all of their vehicles (almost) while they only currently had one F model. So what's your issue? They should have never made F Sport just because they had one F?

I think putting the F badge on the side of F Sports is what's misleading. Anyone who knows anything would know it's not an F though without the quad exhaust tips.
Old 12-06-14, 11:48 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Funny this thread reminds me of my encounter at my local grocery store.

I went to get some groceries and when I was leaving there was an employee in the front checking out my car. Conversation when like this...

Employee: Yo, is this your ISF?
Me: Yeah
Employee: Cool, my friend has an IS-F.
Me: Oh yeah? What color?
Employee: It's blue. They're kinda weak, I walk him in my 350Z.

I'm thinking his 350Z must have some substantial mods to "walk" an IS-F.

Me: Oh yeah? What mods do you have on your Z?
Employee: It's all stock.

Now at this point I'm a little perplexed..

Me: Does your friend have any mods?
Employee: Yeah he's got an intake and Invidia mid-pipe.
Me: Huh? Invidia makes a mid-pipe for the IS-F?
Employee: Yeah bro, I helped him put it on.

Now I'm sure his friend is either rocking an IS250 or IS350 F-Sport in USB.

Me: I had an IS350 before and I'm pretty sure Invidia never made a mid-pipe for the V8 IS-F.
Employee: Bro, your car is a V6.

Wow, just wow. So this kid was completely clueless about the IS-F. I went ahead and "educated" him a little on the difference, then showed him the engine bay, started her up and let her roar. The look on his face was priceless when I revved it up with the Borla.

Employee: OMG bro, it sounds like a Corvette!!
Me: Umm...thanks?

This kid seemed much more excited and appreciative about the car after finding out how special it was. His attitude changed 180 and he started asking all kinds of questions about this real "F" model. I left feeling pretty good that this kid went away with a little more car knowledge .
Old 12-08-14, 10:54 AM
s4chico
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
Funny this thread reminds me of my encounter at my local grocery store.
:
Funny..... I too had an encounter at the grocery store. I park around the back of my local store when I am there and a clerk was walking back and saw me heading towards my F and asked me if it was mine and how I like it? He actually knew what it was and said it was only the 2nd F he had seen in the area. He was probably in his early 20's and I was surprised that he knew about them. That was the only time (so far) that anyone has ever asked me about my F that actually knew what it was.

Quick Reply: Some guys just don't get the "F"