IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Driveshaftshop Carbon driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-15, 04:42 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I would like track proof that this will shave tenths of 1/4 mile times and it's not available on their web site yet

Last edited by darbs242; 01-27-15 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-06-15, 05:44 AM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Spring is approaching, tracks will be available and I'll submit slips. The test model is sold, if anyone is interested then you will need to contact dss directly if it is not posted to their site. The final design works flawlessly, no contact with the shifter at all (especially with hard rh turns). I'll post more testing related info as I recieve it. Thanks again to those involved and I hope others will take part in probably one of the greatest aftermarket parts for our chassis.
Old 02-19-15, 12:28 PM
Justind27
Instructor

So someone bought the test model and it is now on ebay for a practically "new" price, just FYI this was purchased by the other person from driveshaftshop for 1/2 off (original price $1450) being the test model. Spread the word on it, it wasn't defective or anything it's just this guy tryin to rip someone off in my perspective. Also, how he has it pictured is not how it gets installed, either see the first posts with pics or contact myself or driveshaftshop if you need info.
Old 02-19-15, 01:12 PM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

? you were advocating this for driveshaft shop of how great and amazing this was.... Why did you get rid of it in the end?
Old 02-19-15, 02:29 PM
Justind27
Instructor

I have a "final" product still installed, this was just the test model.
Old 02-22-15, 10:39 AM
Justind27
Instructor

Wow... Who ever said itd fit a 350?!
Old 02-22-15, 11:13 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Why don't you ask Frank if he'll swap the ISF cfds for an is350 cfds less shipping and maybe a small fee?
Old 06-15-17, 12:29 AM
Alizia
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry for reviving a two year old thread but has anyone else went with a carbon fiber driveshaft also? I am genuinely curious whether or not it's worth it.
Old 06-15-17, 10:25 PM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

There are three general styles of drive (propeller) shafts. Steel, aluminum and and carbon fiber. There are some advantages to all three.

1. Steel of various grades is probably the best and most practical. I think steel is ideal for the F and the ones that come stock are well engineered. Not sure how we could make it better, maybe use a lighter type of carbon steel. The rubber biscuits at the ends should be replaced at some point. They serve as shock absorbers.
2. Aluminum is also quite good and usually lighter than steel. Maybe not as strong as steel but will work well and may save weight.
3. Carbon fiber will work very well and will save weight. DO NOT drop, scratch or damage this drive shaft in any way or it may break. Besides saving weight the carbon shaft will twist a bit when the car is launched (thats why they make airplane wings out of the stuff). This absorbs shock, thus the stock biscuits are not needed. These shafts work well on a stick shift car that is launched at 10,000 RPM using a hard hitting clutch.

Are they faster? Cannot imagine why they would be. Pretty hard to beat what came with the car.

Loren
The following users liked this post:
isfvss (06-15-17)
Old 06-16-17, 05:20 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Interesting , when I was installing exhaust for the gtr , the driveshaft is carbon ����
Old 06-17-17, 06:59 AM
Alizia
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lorenr
There are three general styles of drive (propeller) shafts. Steel, aluminum and and carbon fiber. There are some advantages to all three.

1. Steel of various grades is probably the best and most practical. I think steel is ideal for the F and the ones that come stock are well engineered. Not sure how we could make it better, maybe use a lighter type of carbon steel. The rubber biscuits at the ends should be replaced at some point. They serve as shock absorbers.
2. Aluminum is also quite good and usually lighter than steel. Maybe not as strong as steel but will work well and may save weight.
3. Carbon fiber will work very well and will save weight. DO NOT drop, scratch or damage this drive shaft in any way or it may break. Besides saving weight the carbon shaft will twist a bit when the car is launched (thats why they make airplane wings out of the stuff). This absorbs shock, thus the stock biscuits are not needed. These shafts work well on a stick shift car that is launched at 10,000 RPM using a hard hitting clutch.

Are they faster? Cannot imagine why they would be. Pretty hard to beat what came with the car.

Loren
The reason I inquired is I remember seeing on a mustang forum where someone replaced their driveshaft with a cf one and his dyno showed a gain of +13 whp. I know it doesn't actually make the car faster; it just helps it put the power down. I don't remember if he specified whether or not his car was manual
Old 06-17-17, 12:46 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Alizia
The reason I inquired is I remember seeing on a mustang forum where someone replaced their driveshaft with a cf one and his dyno showed a gain of +13 whp. I know it doesn't actually make the car faster; it just helps it put the power down. I don't remember if he specified whether or not his car was manual
It's light weight so easier for the transmission to spin it I guess.
Old 06-17-17, 01:33 PM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Sub'd for future updates
Old 06-18-17, 09:32 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Joker4096
It's light weight so easier for the transmission to spin it I guess.
You're removing parasitic drivetrain loss. The difference between engine hp and wheel horsepower. Same goes for rotational mass on the engine assembly, flywheel if manual, wheels, etc.
Old 06-18-17, 09:39 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
You're removing parasitic drivetrain loss. The difference between engine hp and wheel horsepower. Same goes for rotational mass on the engine assembly, flywheel if manual, wheels, etc.
Yep that's what I was getting at. Didn't know how to word it correctly. That's people some people make more who with lighter wheels and brakes.

Quick Reply: Driveshaftshop Carbon driveshaft