IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Driveshaftshop Carbon driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-14, 06:24 AM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Frank1 is completely correct, the cars acceleration feels more smooth and solid. The old (73k miles) driveshaft was very spongey on take off, now it feels like the way it should have been originally designed.
Old 11-17-14, 07:03 AM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

carbon shaft will increase the response from the engine to the rear diff
so think of it this way
instead of pushing a steel cylinder on the ground
your now pushing a plastic cylinder on the ground
obvoiously the weight transfer will be much less noticeable now
general rule in a car
lighter your moving parts the more responsive things get

btw op where did you get this cf shaft and how much was it
would love to test it out on my race car
Old 11-17-14, 07:51 AM
v8sten
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes the recriprocating weight is much less, but more of the gains will come from the deletion of the rubber isolators on each end of the stock driveshaft. i have noticed on my F, that cutting a consistant 60' is damn near impossible. this shaft looks like it will solve this issue. I assume the 1-2 and the 2-3 shifts are pretty violent now

im wondering on the cost too and if DSS will offer up a cheaper alternative like steel or aluminum
Old 11-17-14, 10:18 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

wow, pretty cool. sub'd for track test results and maybe longer, reliability feedback.
Old 11-17-14, 02:54 PM
Justind27
Instructor

Day 3, loving it... Pulls so quick and smooth! Still trying to coordinate/get info on a track day.
Also, the testing model will be posted for sale at a later date the only stipulation is the need shifter link to be slightly bent to clear forward mounting bolt heads when in "d". I don't have the ability to post in the classifieds, maybe frank1 can assist in the sale of the testing model?
Old 11-18-14, 06:13 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Justind27
Day 3, loving it...
How does the car behave when you're in manual/sport mode, with the converter locked up? How has the tactile-mechanical feel been changed, if at all?

"This lockup scenario surely creates excessive shift shock, you say? The intentional result is much more in the “useful feedback” category than shock."
Old 11-18-14, 07:01 AM
Justind27
Instructor

It's awesome in manual or sport mode, makes the two modes feel like it should feel from the factory. There isn't any violent jerk/clunk/rattle or anything just a more smoother direct transfer of power. I never really experienced wheel hop prior to installation (only had the car a few weeks so far) and if I stab the throttle from a stop it is almost as bad as my old s14/rb25 setup. I can't wait to put the Giken lsd in this thing and turn off vsc to get her cookin sideways!
Old 11-18-14, 07:14 AM
Justind27
Instructor

Ilv1004s- the driveshaft is from driveshaftshop.com it will be retailing for about $1500 I believe, frank1 is the connect to driveshaftshop.
Old 11-19-14, 02:46 PM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by frank1
Launching the car is not really the point, the shaft with out the Guibo and the soft hanger will noticeably change the entire feel of the car to a more connected or athletic feel.
You may not think so, but for the guys that take the car to the 1/4 and want to knock off a few tenths to get some gains would be a huge selling point especially shelling out $1500

Wouldn't it then make more sense to build one from aluminium and bring the price down to say $800 as you guys have for the Mustang guys.

Also how are you able to shave weight for other manufactures yet can't do it with this carbon one? Is the carbon just a overlay on a aluminum shaft or is it actually hollow?

Here is an interesting article from rallysport

http://theattack.rallysportdirect.com/2012/01/carbon-and-aluminum-drive-shaft-overview/

The benefits would be much greater with weight reduction in my opinion as it takes less hp to transfer the power yet gaining much more of that connected feel you were referring to.
Old 11-19-14, 02:51 PM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF2NV
You may not think so, but for the guys that take the car to the 1/4 and want to knock off a few tenths to get some gains would be a huge selling point especially shelling out $1500

Wouldn't it then make more sense to build one from aluminium and bring the price down to say $800 as you guys have for the Mustang guys.

Also how are you able to shave weight for other manufactures yet can't do it with this carbon one? Is the carbon just a overlay on a aluminum shaft or is it actually hollow?

http://theattack.rallysportdirect.com/2012/01/carbon-and-aluminum-drive-shaft-overview/

The benefits would be much greater with weight reduction in my opinion as it takes less hp to transfer the power yet gaining much more of that connected feel you were referring to.

Ohh and I'm not trying to do a plug for another company as it was just and article I found researching the benefits of carbon or aluminium shafts.

I've had your dss on my turbo Teg and loved them.
Old 11-19-14, 04:59 PM
v8sten
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISF2NV

http://theattack.rallysportdirect.co...haft-overview/

If there were a cheaper alternative I would definitely get one. $1500 is way too much for me too afford. I do drag race a lot and the 60' are not consistent at all, there is way too much slop in this drive line as it is stock. this would be a HUGE gain. most drag races are won at the start and this car does fairly well for what it is, especially having a 2.91 gear in the diff. this shaft could improve the 60" greatly or at least make them more consistent.
Old 11-19-14, 05:13 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

I'm still waiting to see if there are any service life issues with the transmission in manual mode and the torque converter locked up with no driveline dampening besides the inherent flex of the carbon shaft. I know Dave Mashour's Supra did not do well with an HKS triple plate clutch (zero dampening) and a carbon driveshaft in his Supra. He was also pushing 800 hp, that might not have helped, but he broke three driveshafts after accelerating hard to triple digit speeds and lifting off the throttle. He finally gave up and went back to a dampened clutch set up.
Old 11-19-14, 05:49 PM
v8sten
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I'm still waiting to see if there are any service life issues with the transmission in manual mode and the torque converter locked up with no driveline dampening besides the inherent flex of the carbon shaft. I know Dave Mashour's Supra did not do well with an HKS triple plate clutch (zero dampening) and a carbon driveshaft in his Supra. He was also pushing 800 hp, that might not have helped, but he broke three driveshafts after accelerating hard to triple digit speeds and lifting off the throttle. He finally gave up and went back to a dampened clutch set up.
im kinda curious too, i think the way around that is when it dumps the throttle in between shifts and blips the throttle when down shifting. only time and how hard he drives it will tell
Old 11-19-14, 08:33 PM
Justind27
Instructor

I've done quite some justice to this thing so far and it is operating just as I initially installed it. Burnouts, drifts, stopped, slow speed or 60+mph down shift in manual/sport mode and it just flys. Even shifting prior/during cornering through some slalom style corners driving to and from my house it just transfers power so nicely.
The following users liked this post:
Positron (03-26-20)
Old 11-20-14, 01:07 PM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Wink Drive Train Must be Dampened

I'm interested in carbon fiber drive shafts and/or aluminum shafts.

However, I've been through this years ago. Somewhere in the drive train there must be a dampening feature. It can be in the clutch (a better marcel or even a slipping clutch), or the rubber mounts on the u joints. If there is no dampening your weak parts will show up pretty quick. Then it just gets worse.

I suspect that the F transmission in manual mode slips well in first gear when the torque converter is in use, but hooks harder in 2nd through 8th.

A better change might be using the carbon or aluminum but keeping the rubber shocking material in the u joints. There may also be an updated rubber shock pad or simply replace the pads periodically when they show cracking.

The computer in the new RC F prevents hard drag race launches. Maybe for another reason than the RC F weighs 4100 pounds. Heavy cars are very difficult to launch and the IS F is also heavy.

Be careful with non shocked drive trains.

Loren

Quick Reply: Driveshaftshop Carbon driveshaft