IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Switching up the suspension.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-14, 12:40 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

Hopefully you haven't met these people on this forum!
Old 11-19-14, 10:58 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks darbs, you just reminded me I owe you a rear spacer off my set. I will work on that tomorrow. As Lobux said its all about how everything works together and it all starts with ride height. Roll center aside raw travel is critical to catch and damp all of the frequencies created by the road surface. There are few things that are set and forget, often its a constant catalog of settings and setups directed at maximizing performance. There is no doubt in my mind that these are the best product you can put on this or any other car that will share street and track duty. There are infinite upgrades and rebuild ability around these slick looking dampers but its really what is inside that matters. Dual flow valving on high and low speed fluid transfer and divorced adjustments on the compression and rebound make the Penske shocks do things you simply cannot do with anything else close in its category. And each click is significant in the 40 scale adjustment range, so you have full control over behavior.

So with superior damping you get a great stability and more tire on pavement contact but you still need to correct you suspension geometry to take full advantage of what the dampers are giving you which is the ability to sit in a certain point of suspension travel. Even prior to fine tuning there was a major difference in how the car sticks when its pitched into a corner with these shocks. No matter how hard you throw it, it just settles into its load which is something most drivers never get to experience because generally speaking modifying a car means lowering and stiffening the suspension way too much and most performance cars sacrifice suspension travel for a "firm" feel. Cars that don't transfer weight also don't stick on a corner which is the bases of any geometry changes as well. You cannot steer a car that is pushing and you want weight on your gripping tires.

These shocks certainly helped me find the next weaknesses in the F on the track which has all trickled back into what we sell as a baseline upgrade. I am just excited to get another F in the US with these installed so I have someone to share the experience with . Keep in mind I am a pusher, former pro athlete and an adrenaline junky so I need to be on the edge in everything I do. Nothing puts a smile on my face like driving these shocks with 4 rcomps on the car. Its been great to have such a high standard that we can also back off from and create a tiered product offering at different price levels for different levels of drivers. But I also realize that not everyone has the same car demands as I do and this is why I am happy to coach customers on what will work best for their goals and their driving so that they can be happy as well.

Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions