IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Numbers are in on RC-F and M4 now let's compare IS-F to them

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-14, 05:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Anyone see the RC segment on motor week. LOL the guy in the video said they thought the RCF was too much for daily use . That had me scratching my head
Old 11-23-14, 04:42 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Anyone see the RC segment on motor week. LOL the guy in the video said they thought the RCF was too much for daily use . That had me scratching my head
That's like getting mad at a car that's too practical lol
Old 11-23-14, 04:56 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Since RC-F debuted I've read every article, watched every video review as well as several other car forums and IMO there seems to be consensus forming that M4 is better track weekend car where as RC-F is great road car and DD more luxury, more forgiving on street and highways. Kind of like old E90'sM vs ISF.

In one of BMW forum a member they're made a great observation he compared the RCF to the old E 90M3 cars high HP low Tq easier to drive at limits than M4.

I think RC-F as DD GT car that has luxury and can be tracked as well, has hit mark. But as track type car along lines of P cars, M4, GTR, C63 that hard edge more sport oriented type of vehicle then no its not that and it's not ment to be one of those cars it's lexus.

I spent two hours with this car few days ago, I went to dealership to pickup my car it was getting some service done to it when I arrived they brought me straight to RC-F, it had just arrived that very morning and they were prepping it for the showroom I spent the next two hours going every aspect of a car with the service manager and the master tech we even took it out for a ride had a blast but I would not at this point in time trade in my ISF for RC F at this moment.

It's great GT car but if if your looking for more of track focused type of car than you may want to look else we're. Maybe one day Lexus will build more of track focused vehicle and little less on luxury but today is not today.

IMO Lexus built exactly what they wanted a fast, good handling,luxury GT car.
Old 11-23-14, 05:14 PM
Weapon F

Some pics at dealership with RC-F
Numbers are in on RC-F and M4 now let's compare IS-F to them-img20141123_200631.jpg

Numbers are in on RC-F and M4 now let's compare IS-F to them-img20141123_200743.jpg

Numbers are in on RC-F and M4 now let's compare IS-F to them-img20141123_200707.jpg

Numbers are in on RC-F and M4 now let's compare IS-F to them-img20141123_200850.jpg

Numbers are in on RC-F and M4 now let's compare IS-F to them-img20141123_200816.jpg
Old 11-24-14, 12:29 PM
Endgame
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if Lexus will ever go the 'more track oriented' route, or if they will leave that to the Toyota brand - possibly with the rumored Supra successor. I have decided to not do anything with my F for a while to see what the market produces.
Old 11-24-14, 12:52 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if you wanted a track beast why would anyone even think about an M4 or RCF, Z06 isnt even that much more expensive. A regular C7 already kills both of these cars on a track
Old 11-24-14, 01:46 PM
nonstopz30
Rookie

yup keeping my isf too. full bolt ons cant wait to suprise to smash on the new rcfs on the road lol
Old 11-25-14, 06:26 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthFF
I need more time to write a better review..but I will be honest from the Lexus test drive event..I am planning on selling the ISF for the RCF in next 2 years. For the short time in the RCF it is much better, traction, power delivery, experiance, braking, cornering and I did push quite hard to drift around the corner (the instructor okayed).. I was VERY impresed. I drove the M4 right after, and keep in mind I never would track but am a very very spirited road driver, the M4 very harsh on the test track at sam houston race park, exhaust tone was deformed ofcoarse due to turbos but Ive heard much better from the porsche turbo etc. power delivery was not as "stern" as the rcf. Also, I cannot understand in BMW right mind how they have not fancied the interior it is very bad in comparison to the Lexus (they really need to get it together in the cabin of the M4 quite dissapointed) no gadgets, charm, or proper glamour). I was very impressed with RCF, not sure what the editors have been comparing RCF to...I could not "tell" the 400 ibs difference, but yes IMAGINE the RCF 400 ibs lighter........
Do you know if the car you drove had the TVD?

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am really hoping ( I still think its safe to assume) that the ISF will return to battle the M3 sedan and now the new ATS. There is no way Lexus will sit this one out.........they better not

DAAAMMMN !!! That ATS has crazy torque. The numbers look amazing !
Yeah, Caddy is really bringing their A-game. Unfortunately I would never buy one due to reliability and fit and finish issues.
Old 11-25-14, 08:10 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Does the RC-F win the GT argument over the m4? In previous gen. the ISF's interior quality/luxury advantage was obvious. I'm not so sure for this gen because BMW has seriously upped their interior game. I suppose the argument could be that the RCF is more of a GT simply because it's easier to drive all the way to the limit, but in the real world cruising scenario, is that difference a factor?
Old 11-25-14, 10:00 AM
suprasupra
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't get a RC-F, but a local guy traded his 2012 Obsidian IS-F on one last Friday.
My salesman who sold me my 08 IS-F called me to let me know that his was just traded in on a new RC-F .
I had asked him to be on the lookout for a 2012-14 ISF for me with low mileage and in pristine condition .
We are both lucky guys he got a new RC-F and I got his hand me down.
IS-F 2012- Obsidian-on Black interior with 14800 miles on the clock. near perfect condition.
My Mercury metallic 08 with 50K will be going to a new home.
Old 11-25-14, 11:00 AM
Weapon F

Originally Posted by primecut
Does the RC-F win the GT argument over the m4? In previous gen. the ISF's interior quality/luxury advantage was obvious. I'm not so sure for this gen because BMW has seriously upped their interior game. I suppose the argument could be that the RCF is more of a GT simply because it's easier to drive all the way to the limit, but in the real world cruising scenario, is that difference a factor?
Very good observation, I've been in both M4 and RC-F an your right BMW has stepped up there interior game but not at level of RC-F just my opinion that type of stuff is subjective. When it comes to picking winner of which is better GT car once again I think RC-F slightly edges out M4 in this category primarily due to more luxury and soft more compliant ride. I think that's what lexus was shooting for a fun GT car that you could easily track on weekend and commute to work with during week in luxury and comfort.

It's kind of like poor man's Bentley GT it's big, it's heavy, it's very luxurious, it's fast can be put on race track, and it looks like nothing else on road.

Last edited by Weapon F; 11-25-14 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-13-15, 07:43 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
if you wanted a track beast why would anyone even think about an M4 or RCF, Z06 isnt even that much more expensive. A regular C7 already kills both of these cars on a track
Cause you're talking about a car you see on Every other corner! If you're going that route at least get a Viper, you see one those about every couple of Months! Unless, you just want to be part of the crowd!
Old 04-13-15, 07:49 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by nonstopz30
yup keeping my isf too. full bolt ons cant wait to suprise to smash on the new rcfs on the road lol
I just joined on here & i guess i just don't Understand most of you guys Down so much on the RCF's (yeah, after Much consideration i got one & also a LS460 so i wouldn't be Biased)! it's one of Our own, if Anything why don't you go head hunting for a Caddy or a M4, Why do you want to SMASH on your own guys?
Old 04-13-15, 08:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
I just joined on here & i guess i just don't Understand most of you guys Down so much on the RCF's (yeah, after Much consideration i got one & also a LS460 so i wouldn't be Biased)! it's one of Our own, if Anything why don't you go head hunting for a Caddy or a M4, Why do you want to SMASH on your own guys?
Some of us are pretty pissed off the RC F is so heavy, does not have adjustable alignment, and only barely out-performs the IS F. It should have been 400 pounds lighter, and stomped the IS F into the ground to make all of us want to buy one. Lexus chose not to do this. It's a pity really, because they lost a whole lot of crossover sales.

Just look at all the "sold my F for a GTR" threads in this forum. Lexus could have owned those sales...

Last edited by lobuxracer; 04-13-15 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-13-15, 09:28 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Some of us are pretty pissed off the RC F is so heavy, does not have adjustable alignment, and only barely out-performs the IS F. It should have been 400 pounds lighter, and stomped the IS F into the ground to make all of us want to buy one. Lexus chose not to do this. It's a pity really, because they lost a whole lot of crossover sales.

Just look at all the "sold my F for a GTR" threads in this forum. Lexus could have owned those sales...
Agreed, I had high hopes for the next "F" badged car but to me it was a let down. Same goes for the GSF when they announced it will have the same motor as the RCF.

Quick Reply: Numbers are in on RC-F and M4 now let's compare IS-F to them