IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Numbers are in on RC-F and M4 now let's compare IS-F to them

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-14, 02:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Weapon F
Classic I knew it had nothing to do with twin turbos and awd. Now if I could only get my hands on some of pixie dust and fairy dust I'll show those damn GT-R. Hey isn't there Co that's making OBD2 PFD (Pixie Fairy Dust) download that re flashes ecu.
you got it !! Now you know whats up
Old 11-11-14, 05:22 PM
BieberNutz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexISguy
I agree 4 doors is my selling point I will see what the GS-F has in store, and hoping a long shot a new IS-F...
I agree with this as well as the IS F looking better than the RC F Is it just me or does the RC look better than the RC F? Especially some of the modified ones I've seen lately.
Old 11-12-14, 12:34 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Yea, I'm on the same boat. Even sold the ISF in anticipation of the RC-F and then ended up with something else altogether

I think you guys hit the nail in the head... you lose 2-doors, gain a bunch of weight, straight line is about the same, so I suppose you gain gadgets, handling, and easy-to-achieve lap times? I don't see the added value considering that we'd have to drop another 30-40k for it. And yes that's not factoring in the styling. I feel like if Lexus stuffed the V8 into the 3IS it'd be much better looking and we'd jump all over it.
Old 11-12-14, 11:41 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Plus if you address the handling with some nice coilovers, add some suspension goodies from FIGS, throw in some headers and a good exhaust, lose some weight with carbon parts, you'll be way under the price of a new RC-F.

I'd also argue you would be quicker under most conditions due to the lower curb weight.

You also have 4 good sized seats, and a useful sized trunk.

Plus, how long will it be before you can buy any decent aftermarket goodies, and how much will you be paying?

I'll keep my IS-F thanks.
Old 11-13-14, 07:10 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by PDP180180
Plus if you address the handling with some nice coilovers, add some suspension goodies from FIGS, throw in some headers and a good exhaust, lose some weight with carbon parts, you'll be way under the price of a new RC-F.

I'd also argue you would be quicker under most conditions due to the lower curb weight.

You also have 4 good sized seats, and a useful sized trunk.

Plus, how long will it be before you can buy any decent aftermarket goodies, and how much will you be paying?

I'll keep my IS-F thanks.
I could not have said this better myself. After reading through the New Car Features manual, there isn't a whole lot of special in the RC F to make it worth selling the car I own outright for one of nearly equal performance with less interior room and less overall utility. If they'd made it even the same weight as the IS F, they would have been way ahead, but their choice to make it as porky as they did immediately made me wary. The real shame is, had they built it at 3600 lbs, no one would be talking about the M4 even being a rival. It would smoke everything in the class, and even give me a couple of laps before I have to give a point by to the fast guy in a Corvette at an HPDE.
Old 11-13-14, 10:36 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just want the motor out if the RCF and the seats lol
Old 11-13-14, 01:12 PM
hapasaiyan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by streetx
Yep. And the gauges.
Old 11-13-14, 01:41 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts
Default i hear u guys..

When we went to lexus riverside,ca most of us thinks the same way...although we didnt get to drive the rc f .most of us are on the same boat. We want the seat, the gauge and somewhat the engine. Other than that i rather have my is f.
Old 11-13-14, 01:56 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

my friend who tested the RCF for Lexus during development said the RCF ride much better than the ISF and has more grip in the corners. He said the ride quality is a world better than the choppiness of the ISF . Luckily I live in AZ and dont care about ruff roads.....we dont have them
Old 11-13-14, 02:21 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
my friend who tested the RCF for Lexus during development said the RCF ride much better than the ISF and has more grip in the corners. He said the ride quality is a world better than the choppiness of the ISF . Luckily I live in AZ and dont care about ruff roads.....we dont have them
But again I'd mention things like FIGS suspension parts, additional bracing, LSD, KW coilovers.....

Add these to the ISF, and have the whole setup adjusted by the right shop, and the handling won't be far off the RCF.

You also have less weight to contend with, so performance and handling are easier to improve.

It's all a personal choice at the end of the day.

I personally wouldn't take the depreciation hit when you drive it off the forecourt, the greater weight, less space and practicality, and a knowledge you will lose a chunk of cash in the first years of ownership.

All for a car that doesn't set a new bar in comparison to the ISF, but comes in around the same numbers, with less practicality.

If I wanted two doors, I'd buy a GTR.
Old 11-13-14, 10:28 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by streetx
Throw on an exhaust and you've pretty much match the RC-F in the power department all while weighing hundreds of pounds less.
Old 11-14-14, 05:46 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Which year of the IS F was he referring to? Personally, I don't find the IS F ride to be bad (mine is actually more "harsh" than stock), but it's also known that the later models were more compliant and handled better. Also, in terms of ride quality, I feel like the RC F is a car where you can afford to sacrifice that (if you had to choose), given it's less practical (overall) than the IS F.

I don't doubt that they've refined the RC F, and I'm all about feel, but did your friend comment on how the weight feels when driving? I've dropped some weight from my car, and while I probably won't be chasing down 911s, it feels noticeably nicer. On the other end of the spectrum, there are cars like the Model S, where they're heavy, but the weight is very low in the car, so it feels great.
Old 11-14-14, 10:46 AM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Reading the articles, one significant negative indicator for me is the "laser welding/stitching" two cars together. The fact that this car wasn't drawn up from scratch seems lazy and lacks thought.

I think aesthetically it looks alright.
Old 11-14-14, 11:19 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanGTS
Reading the articles, one significant negative indicator for me is the "laser welding/stitching" two cars together. The fact that this car wasn't drawn up from scratch seems lazy and lacks thought.

I think aesthetically it looks alright.
I can not blame them nor do I feel it was laziness. It was probably a significant cost savings, to not have to re-tool the entire production line (or outsource) for the shared components.

Lots of other manufacturers use glue/ epoxy these days on many critical structural areas.

Digger08
Old 11-14-14, 02:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lets Drive
Which year of the IS F was he referring to? Personally, I don't find the IS F ride to be bad (mine is actually more "harsh" than stock), but it's also known that the later models were more compliant and handled better. Also, in terms of ride quality, I feel like the RC F is a car where you can afford to sacrifice that (if you had to choose), given it's less practical (overall) than the IS F.

I don't doubt that they've refined the RC F, and I'm all about feel, but did your friend comment on how the weight feels when driving? I've dropped some weight from my car, and while I probably won't be chasing down 911s, it feels noticeably nicer. On the other end of the spectrum, there are cars like the Model S, where they're heavy, but the weight is very low in the car, so it feels great.
He was a test driver for the ISF and the RCF ( a ton of other Toyota and Scions too ) during their development . He was talking about the early ISFs....most likely 08s. The issue with adding more power to the ISF is grip on launch. I have heard so many complain about spinning the tires off the line . Now that temps in AZ have dropped to 70s I am now noticing this. If my tires are cold I can spin the rears ( while still moving forward ) for about 1/2 to 1/3 of the way through the intersection. The ISF , like most performance cars, was designed with a balance. Adding power will upset the balance. If you add an exhaust you will need wider tires absoluetly.

Quick Reply: Numbers are in on RC-F and M4 now let's compare IS-F to them