IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone moved to a pdk 997 carrera s?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-14, 10:51 AM
Stuno1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone moved to a pdk 997 carrera s?

This is likely to be my next car in a couple of years having spent a lot of time looking at options. My criteria is:

- 4 seats, must be able to fit a child in of 3-6 years
- more entertaining to drive than my isf
- comfy enough to eat up miles
- practical enough for a long weekend away
- automatic transmission
- must be a bit luxurious
- no more than 7 years old

What I have looked at and dismissed:

- gtr, just not for me. Don't like the styling, interior, running costs etc
- jag xkr, rear seats are way to small
- lotus evora, impractical and poor day to day liveability in terms of spec, quality, noise etc
- m3, m5, c63, xkr etc All to similar to isf
- rcf is too new and expensive
- Aston db9 is too old for my money
- Maserati gran tourismo is to slow and driving would potentially be a step back from my f

Anyone moved to a 997.2 pdk? How do you compare it to the isf?

Stu
Old 11-08-14, 01:21 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...archid=4974234
Old 11-08-14, 01:25 PM
Stuno1
Driver

Thank you
Old 11-08-14, 01:58 PM
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Meh, only Porsche I'd consider would be a GT car. The regular ones are a dime a dozen around here.
Old 11-08-14, 02:27 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

you're not going to be able to fit a child back there unless you're small or the passenger seat is pushed all the way up. The car is not that comfortable either since it is really low 2 door sports car. if you want to move on because you're bored of the ISF.. move onto a e90 m3 w/ a supercharger. You'll love that car forever.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 11-09-14, 05:55 AM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Your expectations are skewed with the ownership experience of the ISF. Where else are you going to get a 4 door sedan that has the reliability (of Lexus) and performance of the ISF?

I think you should be happy and keep the ISF. Get a second weekend toy and don't compromise! If you want the ultimate 2+2 grand touring which is what you are describing than it's going to cost you. The Porsche is a great contender but your child will outgrow it very quickly. In that short time of ownership how much a depreciation hit will you take before you are ready to leave it behind for something larger?

I'm going to go way out on a limb and prove a point...... What you are looking for is a Ferrari 612 Seaglietti. It has everything you want except for the purchase price and maintenance cost. It has the performance that will satisfy any gearhead. The car is compliant on the open road and will get your family to your out of town destinations in style. Just don't balk at the $15,000 to $25,000 repair bills they will come with time as you would most likely want to put miles on the car.
Old 11-09-14, 06:27 AM
Stuno1
Driver

Originally Posted by cruzinZ
Your expectations are skewed with the ownership experience of the ISF. Where else are you going to get a 4 door sedan that has the reliability (of Lexus) and performance of the ISF?

I think you should be happy and keep the ISF. Get a second weekend toy and don't compromise! If you want the ultimate 2+2 grand touring which is what you are describing than it's going to cost you. The Porsche is a great contender but your child will outgrow it very quickly. In that short time of ownership how much a depreciation hit will you take before you are ready to leave it behind for something larger?

I'm going to go way out on a limb and prove a point...... What you are looking for is a Ferrari 612 Seaglietti. It has everything you want except for the purchase price and maintenance cost. It has the performance that will satisfy any gearhead. The car is compliant on the open road and will get your family to your out of town destinations in style. Just don't balk at the $15,000 to $25,000 repair bills they will come with time as you would most likely want to put miles on the car.
I am under no illusion the isf has 'ruined' future cars for me to a degree. It is the full package. I love the f and the but the time I look to move on would have owned it for 3-4 years. If I buy a 997 and don't get on with it I can return to Lexus in the forum of the rcf. This will again provide luxury, performance and all the other ticks in the boxes.

I just think for my next car I want something more engaging and that makes you want to drive it hard. Worst case scenario I move he porker on after a year or so.

Stu
Old 11-09-14, 08:17 AM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuno1
I am under no illusion the isf has 'ruined' future cars for me to a degree. It is the full package. I love the f and the but the time I look to move on would have owned it for 3-4 years. If I buy a 997 and don't get on with it I can return to Lexus in the forum of the rcf. This will again provide luxury, performance and all the other ticks in the boxes.

I just think for my next car I want something more engaging and that makes you want to drive it hard. Worst case scenario I move he porker on after a year or so.

Stu
I get where you are coming from wanting something more engaging. I don't think there are many cars out there that fit exactly what you are looking for (2+2 & engaging). Cars that have the fun factor usually have the raw uncivilized personality that put its occupants into submission. My vote is for you to go test drive a lotus exige. See how you like the real race bread nature. I'd also suggest a superlight SLC as this thing is a race car with lights and a plate. The best part is after you get done building it you know where every nut and bolt is on the car. If something happens to break it's no big deal because you can replace it with your in depth knowledge of the car. I would suggest an LS3 with the larger cam putting out 480HP. If you want to go extreame just drop in a supercharged LS7. If this car still doesn't have the power/performance step up to sportbikes.

Test drive the Porsche. They are amazing vehicles and soak up the road impurities well. They are very well balanced but do not have that hard edge raw feeling unless you get the GT2 or GT3.

The most raw car I've ever been in was a Ferrari F-40 just to give you some background on where my thoughts are coming from. At this point in my life an F-40 is an unrealistic goal. The closest thing that I've found so far is the Superlight SLC coupe. I want the raw race bread car. My ideal car should come close to the performance specs of the F-40 at a fraction of the price. 2,200 lbs and 500hp to 650hp. I want a reliable powertrain. But for now I'm concentrating on other things in life like my career. Toys will come with time as I'm only 33 and have time ahead to plan/build a shop to support the automotive hobby.
Old 11-09-14, 08:37 AM
Stuno1
Driver

Appreciate your input chap. I am buying a track focused sports bike next year to replace a road/track GSXR 750 I sold last year. That will give my real buzz 5 or so times per year. The second car will end up as a older Porsche cayenne or something similar so looking for a fun weekend car I can take the wife and nipper in. You are right, there is little choice in terms of improving on the isf. Gt cars and others mentioned above like m3 etc will offer to similar characteristics but less/similar performance and probably less reliability so redundant choices.

First world problem I know. Can't see myself not getting a 911 having done fair bit of research and moving on if in practice it doesnt work.

Stu
Old 11-09-14, 09:00 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Drive one. My uncle has one and it's a great car! The only issue is the rear seat. 3 year olds fit fine, but 6 years old is heading towards the limit. Other than that, it's a fantastic car that handles great and fun to drive. It's a very good trade-off between practicality and driver engagement.

I hope you're aiming for a 2009+. The increase in power/mpg from DFI and the lack of intermediate shaft bearing makes it more worthwhile, especially the latter.
Old 11-09-14, 09:28 AM
Jowett
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a 991 would be a better fit for your requirements.
Old 11-09-14, 08:51 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why get a Carrera S? It's barely faster than the F. Might as well go for the Turbo at this point otherwise it's not much of an upgrade but handling. Transmissions isn't much better and space is much more limited.

991 Carrera S would be more expensive than a 997.2 Turbo S at this time.
Old 11-09-14, 09:25 PM
jw669
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Tesla Model S
Old 11-10-14, 02:01 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Hah, interestingly enough I was on the same boat and strongly considered a 997.1 TT tip or 997.2 C2S or C4S PDK. Did tons of research and almost pulled the trigger on a C4S, but someone else bought the car just before I committed.

Did you get a chance to drive them? I was disappointed with the TT because it was insanely fast but very linear and a bit boring unless you are dragging it. The tip was very laggy compared to the ISF tranny, not to mention that the center stack looks like it's from the 90s. The 997.2 S/4S, given the PDK, has an amazing tranny, very fun to shift in city driving. I felt like low-mid range umph was a bit lacking, otherwise the car still felt nicely raw compared to the F. You never doubt that you are in a purpose-built sports car in both, but it's interesting that they felt like two totally different cars to me.

You can't go wrong with either one. For me, ultimately they lacked the exclusivity of the F, and also they didn't have the Jekyll and Hyde personality. On the upside, reliability looks to be rock solid (Except for that one engine failure on the .2), and their resale is also very good. Both cars are clearly out of the ISFs league in all performance aspects, but it's apples and oranges.

Good luck with your search!
Old 11-10-14, 04:46 AM
Stuno1
Driver

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
Why get a Carrera S? It's barely faster than the F. Might as well go for the Turbo at this point otherwise it's not much of an upgrade but handling. Transmissions isn't much better and space is much more limited.

991 Carrera S would be more expensive than a 997.2 Turbo S at this time.
Turbo is £10k more for equivalent year. If you want to give me the extra at the time I'll be very happy to!

Quick Reply: Anyone moved to a pdk 997 carrera s?