IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone moved to a pdk 997 carrera s?

Old 11-10-14, 04:53 AM
Stuno1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by primecut
Hah, interestingly enough I was on the same boat and strongly considered a 997.1 TT tip or 997.2 C2S or C4S PDK. Did tons of research and almost pulled the trigger on a C4S, but someone else bought the car just before I committed.

Did you get a chance to drive them? I was disappointed with the TT because it was insanely fast but very linear and a bit boring unless you are dragging it. The tip was very laggy compared to the ISF tranny, not to mention that the center stack looks like it's from the 90s. The 997.2 S/4S, given the PDK, has an amazing tranny, very fun to shift in city driving. I felt like low-mid range umph was a bit lacking, otherwise the car still felt nicely raw compared to the F. You never doubt that you are in a purpose-built sports car in both, but it's interesting that they felt like two totally different cars to me.

You can't go wrong with either one. For me, ultimately they lacked the exclusivity of the F, and also they didn't have the Jekyll and Hyde personality. On the upside, reliability looks to be rock solid (Except for that one engine failure on the .2), and their resale is also very good. Both cars are clearly out of the ISFs league in all performance aspects, but it's apples and oranges.

Good luck with your search!
Not yet but when the time comes I will be. Only interested in the PDK really. If I get a carrera s I will look to add the aero kit to make it look that much more special. I know what you mean around lack of exclusivity but I am willing to sacrifice that on this occasion.

Stu
Old 11-10-14, 06:55 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
Why get a Carrera S? It's barely faster than the F.

I think when it comes down to it, it's the entire package that appeals to the OP. While the IS-F is a powerful sedan, you can't replicate the feel and agility of the 911. It's a special car, even if Porsche makes a butt-load of them.
Old 11-10-14, 07:33 AM
Stuno1
Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
I think when it comes down to it, it's the entire package that appeals to the OP. While the IS-F is a powerful sedan, you can't replicate the feel and agility of the 911. It's a special car, even if Porsche makes a butt-load of them.
This.

Barely faster in a straight line but on track and back roads its very different and the driving experience is completely different. It isn't compable to the f, it's just different.
Old 11-10-14, 08:01 PM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you've talked yourself into it, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with moving on to a car that is the standard for basically which all sports cars are compared. The balance of a NA 911 is a wonderful thing and can't be fairly compared with other cars in regards to raw speed. I'm in a similar spot as you, but I'm a bit hung up on what's going to be faster, more reliable, and easier to mod, this has lead me to the gtr. That being said, something about a 911 won't leave the back of my mind and I haven't ruled it out conpletely yet. I think you will be very happy with the switch, as long as nothing breaks on the porsche!

Last edited by Pqbrown; 11-10-14 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-10-14, 09:50 PM
Stuno1
Driver

Originally Posted by Pqbrown
Sounds like you've talked yourself into it, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with moving on to a car that is the standard for basically which all sports cars are compared. The balance of a NA 911 is a wonderful thing and can't be fairly compared with other cars in regards to raw speed. I'm in a similar spot as you, but I'm a bit hung up on what's going to be faster, more reliable, and easier to mod, this has lead me to the gtr. That being said, something about a 911 won't leave the back of my mind and I haven't ruled it out conpletely yet. I think you will be very happy with the switch, as long as nothing breaks on the porsche!
Indeed. Evora/911/GTR would all be big bills if they pop in any way I imagine. I think the 911 is a bucket list car for me as well for the reasons you have stated. Any of the 3 I have mentioned in this post would be a great choice for different reasons.
Old 11-10-14, 10:37 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pqbrown
Yea agreed, if all-around performance is highest priority, then GT-R is the way to go. And I think we are seeing a lot of F owners step up to a GTR as their next car. I too also looked into the GT-R, but unfortunately could not convince myself to enjoy the styling inside out, and also having to give up all of the refinement and luxury offered in the F. I was also looking at used, and unmolested ones are extremely rare vs 911s are more commonly found as weekend cruisers for the wealthy. Also, I think GT-R resale will plummet soon while 911s tend to hold steady (Except for 996).
Old 11-11-14, 01:15 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I would get a 997.2 over a GTR in a heartbeat. The GTR is a car I respect, but don't love. The 911 has been a dream car for me since I had a poster on my wall as a kid over 20 years ago. I don't know if I'll ever actually purchase a Porsche, because I really can't squeeze enough practicality out of it anytime soon, but it's a car I'll always like.

But the ISF really just hits on so many notes that are important to me right now, and I don't know of another car on the market that I really want instead of this car (within reasonable price constraints of course).
Old 11-11-14, 09:59 PM
Stuno1
Driver

Originally Posted by vbb
I would get a 997.2 over a GTR in a heartbeat. The GTR is a car I respect, but don't love. The 911 has been a dream car for me since I had a poster on my wall as a kid over 20 years ago. I don't know if I'll ever actually purchase a Porsche, because I really can't squeeze enough practicality out of it anytime soon, but it's a car I'll always like.

But the ISF really just hits on so many notes that are important to me right now, and I don't know of another car on the market that I really want instead of this car (within reasonable price constraints of course).
I looked, there isn't anything apart from a newer isf. It is an unbeatable package. That's one reason I'm looking at the 911. Like you always wanted one and have a second car so I can make it work quite easily.

Stu