IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Rim sizes for ISF

Old 11-07-14, 01:08 PM
tripp03
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rim sizes for ISF

Hi everyone and Happy Friday!

Please don't kill me as this is my first post and I'm new to the F. Also, I'm sure this has been discussed previously although I'm unable to find it so I'll just throw it out... If it has, you can simply just point me to the post and that'll be great!

So here's the situation, I'm looking at purchasing either Volk CE28N or TE37s. More than likely, I'll keep it on stock suspension although may(and that's a huge may) drop it max of 1".... After looking at everyone's posts on sizes, I'd prefer to keep these rims at the 19" size although I see sooooo many people with different offsets. So I have a few questions as you would imagine being a newbie...

1. I don't want anything rubbing and have no intention of rolling fenders/modifying, etc so does it really matter with these 2 rims for clearance of the brakes, inner fender, etc?

2. I'd prefer a more "square" look while having a "semi deep dish look without affecting performance. (don't know if that's possible or not) so with that in mind, what should the offsets be?

3. Also I see folks with the following below so I'm assuming there's not problem, right?:
19x8 or19x8.5 for the fronts
19x9 or 19x9.5 for the rears

3. What tire sizes are generally best suited? And so you know, these rims and tires will only be for summer use as the stocks are her winter shoes.

To give a bit of background, I don't drive it on the track although do some "spirited" driving from time to time but in reality, I drive the car maybe 7k-8k per year and 25-30% is spirited... Im trying to give as much info as possible for the best answer.

Thanks in advance guys for your comments and insight.

Last edited by tripp03; 11-07-14 at 01:11 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 11-07-14, 02:00 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

It's as if we are living parallel lives.

In for info.
Old 11-07-14, 02:17 PM
tripp03
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vervish
It's as if we are living parallel lives.

In for info.
Glad I'm not the only one! (Amigos!!!)
Old 11-07-14, 04:36 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

We get many IS Family

19x8.5+ FRONT'S
19X9.5+45 REAR'S
TIRE'S
235/35/19 FRONT'S
265/30/19 REAR'S
note: This is once the car has been lowered.
Old 11-07-14, 09:40 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

^^^^Both the above recommended sizes have a lower load rating then the stock tires. They are also smaller in OD than the stock tires. I would not recommend them.

Also the front offset is not specified, I would try and keep it close to the stock 8.5" wheel (2012 and later) which is +45. The above recommended rear offset is more agressive than the stock offset of +51. Again I would try to stay as close to stock as I could, but I'm sure that +45 would work.

As far as tires sizes go, I have the stock (2008-2011) 8 and 9 inch wheels and am running 245/35/19 up front and 285/30/19 in back. They are working out well for me.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-position.html

Lou
Old 11-08-14, 02:06 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Well, truthfully, between the two wheel options you have narrowed it down to, you're almost forced to go with the CE28N simply because the TE37s are pretty aggressive for the IS F fender wells. The best I've seen with regards to the TE37s are as follows:

TE37 (Tokyo Time Attack and original for reference)

F: 19 x 8.5 +45 -or- 19 x 9.0 +35......original TE37 19 x 9.0 +40
R: 19 x 9.5 +45 - or- 19 x 10.0 +35...original TE37 19 x 10.0 +45

The latter has been done on the TTA, yes, but it also entailed skinnier tires and a good amount of camber, which I am not a fan of either. Note, the original TE37s are very hard to find in those particular sizes because they are now discontinued.

The CE28N has a few sizes and offsets similar to the TE37s that I could find, and they're as follows:

F: 19 x 8.5 +43 - or- 19 x 8.5 +35
R: 19 x 9.5 +45 -or- 19 x 9.5 +36

I've always chosen tires in this order:

1) Will the wheel/tire combo be for car shows or performance runs on the street/canyons?
2) Are you planning to lower the car? I know you mentioned a 1" max ride height.
3) Tire brand and sizing you choose to go with. Again, this is based on the wheel size.

I do agree with Lou in that keeping it close to the stock +45 (F) and +51 (R) offsets is ideal, but I am running the following wheels and they fit greatly with plenty of clearance.

F: 19 x 8.5 +45
R: 19 x 9.5 +45

Best of luck, and do keep us posted on which wheels you go with.
Old 11-08-14, 05:02 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

I know what you mean brian...Man I hope it was easy for people who has +30 Offset, instead of getting spacer, studs, etc.....which im not a fan of..
Old 11-08-14, 08:56 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chris07is
I know what you mean brian...Man I hope it was easy for people who has +30 Offset, instead of getting spacer, studs, etc.....which im not a fan of..
We've talked about this extensively, Chris. And we both agree that spacers aren't for us. That being said, with Volk Racing/RAYS and other wheel companies that don't allow for customization of wheel specs, it's pretty much either go really weak in terms of offsets and have them fit perfectly without any issue or run aggressive offsets and be left dealing with the need to run smaller tires, having to camber the car, and other consequential changes because of the offsets chosen.

But It can be done properly, Chris. The great Joe Z made it happen, and his was pretty darn sick!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post4541297
Old 11-09-14, 04:50 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
We've talked about this extensively, Chris. And we both agree that spacers aren't for us. That being said, with Volk Racing/RAYS and other wheel companies that don't allow for customization of wheel specs, it's pretty much either go really weak in terms of offsets and have them fit perfectly without any issue or run aggressive offsets and be left dealing with the need to run smaller tires, having to camber the car, and other consequential changes because of the offsets chosen.

But It can be done properly, Chris. The great Joe Z made it happen, and his was pretty darn sick!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post4541297
^^^ thats funny, i was just looking at joe z sig and that thread...lol..
Old 11-10-14, 06:15 AM
tripp03
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Well, truthfully, between the two wheel options you have narrowed it down to, you're almost forced to go with the CE28N simply because the TE37s are pretty aggressive for the IS F fender wells. The best I've seen with regards to the TE37s are as follows:

TE37 (Tokyo Time Attack and original for reference)

F: 19 x 8.5 +45 -or- 19 x 9.0 +35......original TE37 19 x 9.0 +40
R: 19 x 9.5 +45 - or- 19 x 10.0 +35...original TE37 19 x 10.0 +45

The latter has been done on the TTA, yes, but it also entailed skinnier tires and a good amount of camber, which I am not a fan of either. Note, the original TE37s are very hard to find in those particular sizes because they are now discontinued.

The CE28N has a few sizes and offsets similar to the TE37s that I could find, and they're as follows:

R: 19 x 9.5 +45 -or- 19 x 9.5 +36

I've always chosen tires in this order:

1) Will the wheel/tire combo be for car shows or performance runs on the street/canyons?
2) Are you planning to lower the car? I know you mentioned a 1" max ride height.
3) Tire brand and sizing you choose to go with. Again, this is based on the wheel size.

I do agree with Lou in that keeping it close to the stock +45 (F) and +51 (R) offsets is ideal, but I am running the following wheels and they fit greatly with plenty of clearance.

F: 19 x 8.5 +45
R: 19 x 9.5 +45

Best of luck, and do keep us posted on which wheels you go with.
Good morning!

First off, thank you everyone for responding! And a big thank you to Brian and Lou for the in depth responses. Sorry I didn't get back to you all sooner yet I was moving mud all weekend long at the house. (Literally!) Had a low spot which was holding water by the garage so I had to move over 22 full wheel barrels of mud and leveling it! (yeah no fun) But, its all taken care of now so woo-hoo!

Lou - thank you for the suggestion and will definitely take you advise of keeping in as close as possible to stock offsets! Yeah, don't want any complications (unnecessary tire wear, suspension modifications, etc) later. And by the way, I do like the tires!!! It doesn't bulge bad at all in my opinion.

Brian - Thank you as well as to some enlightenment. I was trying to look for some used TE37's although like you said, the offsets were exactly what they should be. But I found exactly what you mentioned below as it pertains to the CE's:

"The CE28N has a few sizes and offsets similar to the TE37s that I could find, and they're as follows:

R: 19 x 9.5 +45 -or- 19 x 9.5 +36"

Now with that being said, I would assume the best would be Front: 19x8.5 +43 and Rear: 19x9.5 +45 to be as close as possible to stock, right? The only reason I was leaning toward the TE's is because I have an older Integra which her summer shoes are the TE's so just thought it would be nice to have both cars with same shoes (just bigger in the ISF's case - clearly she has big feet!)

Although based upon what I was reading, it might be best to simply go with the CE's instead. (Either one are fine with me as I love both styles)

In regards to choosing tires:
1. The wheel / tire combo is for daily driving. (not carshows and not tracking it honestly)
2. More than likely, I will not lower the car
3. I have no tire preference honestly... if anything something quite or semi quite.

Also on a side note Brian, I totally love what you've done with your build!

Last edited by tripp03; 11-10-14 at 06:25 AM. Reason: quotes
Old 11-10-14, 11:26 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tripp03
Good morning!

First off, thank you everyone for responding! And a big thank you to Brian and Lou for the in depth responses. Sorry I didn't get back to you all sooner yet I was moving mud all weekend long at the house. (Literally!) Had a low spot which was holding water by the garage so I had to move over 22 full wheel barrels of mud and leveling it! (yeah no fun) But, its all taken care of now so woo-hoo!

Lou - thank you for the suggestion and will definitely take you advise of keeping in as close as possible to stock offsets! Yeah, don't want any complications (unnecessary tire wear, suspension modifications, etc) later. And by the way, I do like the tires!!! It doesn't bulge bad at all in my opinion.

Brian - Thank you as well as to some enlightenment. I was trying to look for some used TE37's although like you said, the offsets were exactly what they should be. But I found exactly what you mentioned below as it pertains to the CE's:

"The CE28N has a few sizes and offsets similar to the TE37s that I could find, and they're as follows:

R: 19 x 9.5 +45 -or- 19 x 9.5 +36"

Now with that being said, I would assume the best would be Front: 19x8.5 +43 and Rear: 19x9.5 +45 to be as close as possible to stock, right? The only reason I was leaning toward the TE's is because I have an older Integra which her summer shoes are the TE's so just thought it would be nice to have both cars with same shoes (just bigger in the ISF's case - clearly she has big feet!)

Although based upon what I was reading, it might be best to simply go with the CE's instead. (Either one are fine with me as I love both styles)

In regards to choosing tires:
1. The wheel / tire combo is for daily driving. (not carshows and not tracking it honestly)
2. More than likely, I will not lower the car
3. I have no tire preference honestly... if anything something quite or semi quite.

Also on a side note Brian, I totally love what you've done with your build!
I was in your shoes not too long ago, and I know how difficult when asking for help with wheels and tires. While many have been helpful, it wasn't always the case, with responses pertaining to offsets as "it's a secret" or "ask the manufacturer" early on. But for those who helped me, I thank them immensely because it wasn't required of them nor was it a quick lesson in wheels, sizing, offsets, and tires; it is still an ongoing discussion and learning from those who really try to perfect fitting wheels with and without the need for suspension components, going for a VIP style look, stance, and the such. It makes me more appreciative for those who do take the time to really work on it, even though it can be a pain at times. I understand not wanting to stray too far from stock sizing because of this, as it can minimize the risk of more things going wrong later on.

19x8.5 +43 and Rear: 19x9.5 +45 work just fine. The front wheel wells have plenty of space to house even more aggressive offsets, but +43 is a good balance of something that's more aggressive than stock versus the really aggressive offsets some choose.

Tire combo with what you have in mind (daily driving and spirited runs) lead me to suggesting a few brands and sizes:

-Michelin Pilot Super Sports (highly recommended by many on CL and other forums)
(F) 245/35/19
(R) 275/30/19
-Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position (great tires for the price and wider tires available than PSS)
(F) 245/35/19
(R) 285/30/19

The Michelin PSS is not manufactured in 285/30/19, but many enjoy the added size from the Bridgestones. Bulging isn't much of an issue, as Lou has posted his shots with the 285s on his car. It looks planted and adds much needed rubber to the rears. I personally like the 295s in the rear on mine, but you said you didn't want to go with coilovers, which would be better for you if you wanted to fit that size in the rear, but without rolling the fenders, it makes it harder to avoid rubbing.

And thanks for the kind comments. I, as many others here, just want to help out our fellow IS F family members as much as possible. It's one of the really great communities out there, and the camaraderie is prominent. Guys and gals do really look out for one another here, which is why I always try to pay it forward and help others as well.

Best of luck on the wheel search and snap some pics when you get them mounted!
Old 11-20-14, 12:50 AM
SaintLexus
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As noted:

R: 19 x 9.5 +45 -or- 19 x 9.5 +36" <------- would this also require fender mod. if you're on a stock height?

Here's the question: I'll try to make it clear as possible.
So if I were to get a different set of wheels, and not the CE28N, with an offset of +38 all around, though the main concern is the rear, so having a 20x9.5 +38, and yes it's 20 and not a 19, with a 285 or 295/30/20 tire on a stock height, would our IS-F require fender modification and/or, more importantly, would the wheel stick out pass the wheel well? Which is what I'm trying to avoid. I have no plans of changing the suspension components and I just plan to leave it stock.
At this time, I'm torn if I should just buy a new set of tires for the stock IS-F wheels or if I should add a little more spice to my car by adding a new set of wheels. I've only got one chance and I wanna do it right the first time.

Last edited by SaintLexus; 11-20-14 at 01:50 AM.
Old 11-20-14, 09:01 AM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SaintLexus
As noted:

R: 19 x 9.5 +45 -or- 19 x 9.5 +36" <------- would this also require fender mod. if you're on a stock height?

Here's the question: I'll try to make it clear as possible.
So if I were to get a different set of wheels, and not the CE28N, with an offset of +38 all around, though the main concern is the rear, so having a 20x9.5 +38, and yes it's 20 and not a 19, with a 285 or 295/30/20 tire on a stock height, would our IS-F require fender modification and/or, more importantly, would the wheel stick out pass the wheel well? Which is what I'm trying to avoid. I have no plans of changing the suspension components and I just plan to leave it stock.
At this time, I'm torn if I should just buy a new set of tires for the stock IS-F wheels or if I should add a little more spice to my car by adding a new set of wheels. I've only got one chance and I wanna do it right the first time.
Do you want to square your rims and tires with 20x9.5 +38 offset ? Or just square wheels and the tires still keep it staggered ?
Old 11-20-14, 09:12 AM
SaintLexus
Pole Position

Default staggered

Originally Posted by shyguyF
Do you want to square your rims and tires with 20x9.5 +38 offset ? Or just square wheels and the tires still keep it staggered ?
I am sticking with the staggered set up.
Old 11-20-14, 10:27 AM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SaintLexus
I am sticking with the staggered set up.
Because your questions still confuse me a little, now can you give your new wheels set up specs on the front and rear b/c you mention about the rear only.
You said the rear 20x9.5 +38 how about the front 20x? +38.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rim sizes for ISF