IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

08 F with airbag light on

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-14, 09:54 AM
ACE350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 08 F with airbag light on

Well i am fairly new F owner, i picked up my SGM F in October with 60k on it. So about 2 weeks ago the airbag light came on, i took it into my local Toyota dealer because the closest Lexus dealer is about 1.5 hrs away. So they diagnosed the airbag light as a faulty occupant sensor for the passenger seat. So i paid $550 to have the part ordered from Japan and $100 for the diagnostic fee. So yesterday the dealer calls and says the part has arrived.. so i dropped the car off early that morning and left it with them while I drove my 4runner for the day. So I get a phone call from the service advisor at 5 PM saying that they installed the new occupant sensor and programed the new ECU but the airbag light is still on and the car is needed for extra diagnosis. He then states they would need to keep my car and that I would need to pay an additional diagnostic fee as well. I kindly told him that I do not agree with having to pay an additonal fee when the car was already diagnoised and paid for. He then states that they will do no further diagnosis if I dont pay. Long story short, i requested a manager which never took my call.. so i told them to just get my car ready and ill come and pick it up. So i pick the car up and pay an additonal $110 for them installing the new occupant sensor.. so i am about $700 dollars in at this point and the airbag light is still on. Does this sound right for them to charge me again to keep searching the issue? doesnt the scan tool tell them what the fault is? I think this is ridiculousady and I already scheduled with the lexus dealer to bring the car in. I will also have the lexus dealer check the old ECU to see if its bad or not, because I asked for it back since they replaced it with a new 1. Anyone have any insight on possible issues with the airbag light? im sure it could be anything these days. BTW loving the ISF so far.

Last edited by ACE350; 11-07-14 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-07-14, 10:14 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would be upset as they obviously wasted your time and money!

Here is a thread that might have the answer you're looking for. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...bag-light.html
Old 11-07-14, 10:28 AM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Damn that sucks. Im almost 99.999999999999% sure its the drivers knee squib connector. My dealer covered it under warranty.
Old 11-07-14, 10:47 AM
ACE350
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the link! i am still finding my way around the site. Some of the guys are quoting some serious prices for repairs so this could be bad lol. I will inspect under the seats when I get home, hopefully this is the issue.
Old 11-07-14, 05:57 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

An OBD scan tool will not pick up SRS faults.
Old 11-07-14, 08:04 PM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Thats like going to a doctor and them operating on the wrong part of your body and charging you for it lol, screw that man they need to return the new sensor and refund you the money.
Old 11-08-14, 10:53 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by ACE350
Well i am fairly new F owner, i picked up my SGM F in October with 60k on it. So about 2 weeks ago the airbag light came on, i took it into my local Toyota dealer because the closest Lexus dealer is about 1.5 hrs away. So they diagnosed the airbag light as a faulty occupant sensor for the passenger seat. So i paid $550 to have the part ordered from Japan and $100 for the diagnostic fee. So yesterday the dealer calls and says the part has arrived.. so i dropped the car off early that morning and left it with them while I drove my 4runner for the day. So I get a phone call from the service advisor at 5 PM saying that they installed the new occupant sensor and programed the new ECU but the airbag light is still on and the car is needed for extra diagnosis. He then states they would need to keep my car and that I would need to pay an additional diagnostic fee as well. I kindly told him that I do not agree with having to pay an additonal fee when the car was already diagnoised and paid for. He then states that they will do no further diagnosis if I dont pay. Long story short, i requested a manager which never took my call.. so i told them to just get my car ready and ill come and pick it up. So i pick the car up and pay an additonal $110 for them installing the new occupant sensor.. so i am about $700 dollars in at this point and the airbag light is still on. Does this sound right for them to charge me again to keep searching the issue? doesnt the scan tool tell them what the fault is? I think this is ridiculousady and I already scheduled with the lexus dealer to bring the car in. I will also have the lexus dealer check the old ECU to see if its bad or not, because I asked for it back since they replaced it with a new 1. Anyone have any insight on possible issues with the airbag light? im sure it could be anything these days. BTW loving the ISF so far.
The SRS system has a 72 month or 72k mile warranty from the factory. You got screwed by your dealer and should not have to pay anything for this repair. I would file a complaint with Lexus and Toyota about this and get it fixed under warranty as it should be.
Old 11-09-14, 05:27 AM
ACE350
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the helpful information, the toyota district manager called back and said they will not charge me anymore money to bring the vehicle back on Monday. He claims the procedure that was done was according to what lexus recommends. I think I will still contact corporate on Monday and see what can be done about this. When my Acura TL airbag light came on it was covered by acura even though the car was out of warranty.
Old 11-09-14, 07:46 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the helpful information, the toyota district manager called back and said they will not charge me anymore money to bring the vehicle back on Monday. He claims the procedure that was done was according to what lexus recommends. I think I will still contact corporate on Monday and see what can be done about this. When my Acura TL airbag light came on it was covered by acura even though the car was out of warranty.
Manufacturers reserve the right to fix things under good faith. Sounds like Acura did this for you. I would ask the district manager about the 72Months/72K warranty Lobuxracer mentioned.
Old 11-09-14, 10:05 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Toyota replaced a broken seat belt in my Corolla with 110,000 miles on it under warranty. SRS should be covered for the life of the vehicle IMHO, because it is not an option when you buy the car, and there is no "normal wear and tear" on a system which remains unused until the car is in a qualifying accident. Imagine the outcry if the side impact beams deteriorated sufficiently to present a hazard in service and the manufacturers refused to repair them under warranty.

Besides all that I hate airbags anyway. They're a huge expense for something designed to punch you like MIke Tyson.
Old 11-09-14, 10:42 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Toyota replaced a broken seat belt in my Corolla with 110,000 miles on it under warranty. SRS should be covered for the life of the vehicle IMHO, because it is not an option when you buy the car, and there is no "normal wear and tear" on a system which remains unused until the car is in a qualifying accident. Imagine the outcry if the side impact beams deteriorated sufficiently to present a hazard in service and the manufacturers refused to repair them under warranty.

Besides all that I hate airbags anyway. They're a huge expense for something designed to punch you like MIke Tyson.
I hear ya on that. An air bag put 4 fractures in my sternum.
Old 11-09-14, 11:06 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Rickna
I hear ya on that. An air bag put 4 fractures in my sternum.
My ex-wife drove my '94 Supra into a wall and got beat up badly by the airbags. Before this, I believed the hype. I don't anymore.

http://www.stat.colostate.edu/~meyer/airbags.htm
Old 11-09-14, 06:24 PM
ACE350
Driver School Candidate

The Acura dealer did not do a goodwill repair it was covered by Acura according to the dealer and multiple other people on the forum who recieved the same repair. I have a good feeling the $500 occupant sensor was not the cause amd my old one probably was working just fine. I plan on leaving the car with toyota tomorrow and I'll make some phone calls and talk with the dist. Manager again as well. I think I'll call up the lexus dealer also and ask them for advice also. Will update the thread after I get the car back tomorrow. And btw the dealer is now offering me a loaner car and 50% off my next service visit. i think they are concerned about the surveys that toyota usually sends or calls ...
Old 11-12-14, 04:31 PM
ACE350
Driver School Candidate

So Johnson Lexus in Raleigh has the F now and they say the entire passenger seat bottom cushion has to be replaced.. So the ECU, and the sensor that's built into the seat all work together and when you replace 1 part you must replace the other. So Toyota was partially correct with their diagnosis. They surprisingly had the part in stock and will have the car ready for pick up tomorrow with a brand new seat cushion. They have also contacted lexus on my behalf and explained the whole ordeal, just waiting on a response. The repair cost is around $1800.00. The lexus dealer has the the best customer service that I've ever expierenced, these guys are complete professionals. They put me in a 14 rx350 and sent me on my way because they knew I was 1.5 hrs away. I was only at the dealer for less than 20 mins.
Old 11-12-14, 05:03 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

They had it in stock? Sounds like they prepped for your arrival. No dealer stocks seat parts for an F. They don't move fast enough unless this is a common problem, and no one else here has said anything about having an SRS issue.

Quick Reply: 08 F with airbag light on