IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Manual Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-14, 09:17 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Manual Swap?

Hello. Let me start by saying this is purely theoretical, and unless someone else decides to take up the torch will probably stay so. My friend and I were talking about how it's a shame that the only manual offered by Lexus these days is the IS 250 and how awesome it would be to have that option for the ISF

My question is: do you think a manual swap can be done with the ISF? (not whether it makes sense or is justified by the money, but purely if it be can done without completely reengineering the chassis)

From my experience with the SC chassis it seems that having a car with a manual transmission in the family helps things smooth along. (sc300 manual for the sc400 swap to stick shift)

Does anyone know if the firewall sheet metal is the same between the isf and the is250 or did that have to get completely changed to fit the engine?

How much of a problem child is the ecu with the transmission to motor talking (does it go haywire if you mess with the tune and don't retune both computers?)

and does anyone know what kind of power the is250's 6 speed can handle?

I figure that, so long as the pedals fit, the gearbox is strong enough (and it uses the same type of speed sensor), and the ecu is capable of being tricked into being happy with the fact that the transmission inputs are missing....

Then the swap is really just down to making a trans adapter plate, a flywheel, and a good retune.

Any help from people who know more about the IS chassis than I do would be much appreciated.

Also sorry if this topic has been covered before; I didn't find anything in a quick search.
Old 11-06-14, 11:19 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

I saw while back a video of USB ISF used in a documentary on drifting with custom manual transmission.
It was before me being in the market to buy ISF, so I did not look into it then.
I can confirm that it was done before . See if you can google something.
Old 11-07-14, 01:02 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I know you said it was theoretical, but I can't see why anyone would seriously consider this. It'd be a whole lot of money spent just to make the car perform worse.

I don't miss rowing my own gears as much as I thought I might.
Old 11-07-14, 06:35 AM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
I know you said it was theoretical, but I can't see why anyone would seriously consider this. It'd be a whole lot of money spent just to make the car perform worse.

Originally Posted by maynanator
My question is: do you think a manual swap can be done with the ISF? (not whether it makes sense or is justified by the money, but purely if it be can done without completely reengineering the chassis)
Like I said above, merely a question whether it could be done, not if it should be.
Old 11-07-14, 08:24 AM
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb

agreed 100%
Old 11-07-14, 09:01 AM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I never spend money and time into something that not knowing the result. If i really want a true munual trans i will buy like 370z, bmw 1m or something like that for fun and get a wanranty from the factory.
Old 11-07-14, 09:19 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

That's why I kept the IS300 it's a stick.
Old 11-07-14, 10:16 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

ask yourself, do you want a fast car or do you want a more fun driving car. if you want more fun, spend the money on a cheap manual car like the e46 m3.
Old 11-07-14, 10:21 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by maynanator
Like I said above, merely a question whether it could be done, not if it should be.
Anything can be done if you spend enough money.. do you have the money and time to do it? Probably not, thats why are responding with alternatives.. because its not worth it.

I told you it can be done.. so what now? You're going to sit back in your chair and smile because now you know its possible? Then sure, smile right on ahead. But I'll guarantee you that you won't consider doing it.
Old 11-07-14, 11:11 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ISFpat
Anything can be done if you spend enough money.. do you have the money and time to do it? Probably not, thats why are responding with alternatives.. because its not worth it.

I told you it can be done.. so what now? You're going to sit back in your chair and smile because now you know its possible? Then sure, smile right on ahead. But I'll guarantee you that you won't consider doing it.
lmao, keeping it real.
Old 11-07-14, 11:18 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
ask yourself, do you want a fast car or do you want a more fun driving car. if you want more fun, spend the money on a cheap manual car like the e46 m3.
Why can you not have both with a stick?
Old 11-07-14, 11:31 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It probably can be done, just wont be cheap
Old 11-07-14, 12:20 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Swacer
you can have both but most likely not on the ISF. look at the original question.

the ISF has a good amount of torque. do you think the oem clutch/flywheel from the is250 will take the extra power and abuse? not only you would have to find a source for a upgraded clutch which is hard to find already for that car, you have to worry about the synchros, etc of the transmission itself.

also, the ISF is not fast just by the power alone. i believe its the gearing and transmission that plays a huge role as whole car. im 100 percent certain you will not be as fast as a stock auto ISF, no matter how good of a driver you are.
Old 11-07-14, 02:25 PM
teamcalvin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpat

+1 youre my hero Pat hahah
Old 11-07-14, 03:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Because shifting manually and accelerating fast don't go in the same sentence anymore.

I still have a car with a stick. Every time I drive it, I get reminded how much better a computer is at shifting, especially in manual mode with the F. It's never tired, bored, distracted, neurologically impaired, or any of the other things I either am or can be. The first new car I owned with an automatic was my IS350 in 2006. I got my licence in 1976 in a manual, and I'd been driving stick for 10 years at that point. It's not like I haven't owned and driven a few manuals...

I often wonder why people are not so vocal about having a manual starting system. I'm sure there were plenty of pundits when the cars with electric starters hit showroom floors. They probably retained a manual crank for awhile to appease those curmudgeons who deemed electric starting to be taking away from the driving experience. I know for sure this happened in the 60's and 70's with motorcycles. And so it will be with transmissions...

Last edited by lobuxracer; 11-07-14 at 03:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Manual Swap?