Almost Went From F To V

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-14, 08:34 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
mileage is horrendous in the CTS-V something like 12/18
LMAO...you expect good mileage at 550hp?

Horsepower doesn't come cheap.
Old 11-06-14, 08:38 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mrd916
Couldn't believe the issues that those V cars have. Leaky sunroofs, recalled superchargers, rattling Recaros, rear differential issues and many more. Manager made me a fair offer on my F but after owning 2 Fs and having zero issues ever I decided to keep the F. Manager told me that V is certified so all those things are covered if they were to go wrong but I still don't like the idea of a $75k car built so badly.
Couple things:

1. Leaky sunroof - Valid concern, but warranty fixes everything.
2. Recalled Supercharger - Just an insulator issue, you can replace it aftermarket for $100 if you want to avoid going to the dealership. Same issue the ZL1 was having, no biggie there.
3. Rattling Recaros - Valid concern, but warranty fixes everything
4. Rear Diff - Replace it, limited slips are boring anyways, get an eaton true trak when upgrading the supercharger for more power.

When you're adding more power with the supercharger or internals, you have to upgrade parts downstream anyways. Power doesn't come cheap, and parts always have replacements. The aftermarket world for the LSx engine and drive train is huge.

I understand your concerns, but for the right price, that car is still a steal and those problems can be fixed.

Last edited by Swacer; 11-06-14 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-06-14, 09:16 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Couple things:

2. Recalled Supercharger - Just an insulator issue, you can replace it aftermarket for $100 if you want to avoid going to the dealership. Same issue the ZL1 was having, no biggie there.
4. Rear Diff - Replace it, limited slips are boring anyways, get an eaton true trak when upgrading the supercharger for more power.

When you're adding more power with the supercharger or internals, you have to upgrade parts downstream anyways. Power doesn't come cheap, and parts always have replacements. The aftermarket world for the LSx engine and drive train is huge.

I understand your concerns, but for the right price, that car is still a steal and those problems can be fixed.
In the end there is no truly perfect car ( I have owned an LS460 ). They all have issues. I guess it really depends if the owner is willing to make the sacrifice to deal with the issues and are the issues recurrent. When I was on the ZL1 forums you can tell that the owners all forgive the quality issues because the cars were so much fun , BUT many were frustrated and would make comments that this is just what you need to expect when buying a GM product. That ish I could not stand for or deal with. Just to say oh well its just a GM and you take the good with the bad. In the end when you look at it I dont know if its a GM issue or just an issue with trying to go really fast with HUGE power for a small amount of money............. example Dodge HellCat will be a reliability disaster ( especially when you are already starting at the bottom of the reliability list )
Old 11-06-14, 11:15 AM
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you made the right choice.
Old 11-06-14, 11:20 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
In the end there is no truly perfect car ( I have owned an LS460 ). They all have issues. I guess it really depends if the owner is willing to make the sacrifice to deal with the issues and are the issues recurrent. When I was on the ZL1 forums you can tell that the owners all forgive the quality issues because the cars were so much fun , BUT many were frustrated and would make comments that this is just what you need to expect when buying a GM product. That ish I could not stand for or deal with. Just to say oh well its just a GM and you take the good with the bad. In the end when you look at it I dont know if its a GM issue or just an issue with trying to go really fast with HUGE power for a small amount of money............. example Dodge HellCat will be a reliability disaster ( especially when you are already starting at the bottom of the reliability list )
I agree, all cars have problems. I mean, a leaky sunroof is something, but then again, the IS-F in 2008-2010 had terrible water pumps. Did that lean you away from Lexus?

It all depends what your'e looking for also. The domestic brands offer you cars with large mod performance scenes in which you can build a serious power plant. Most buyers don't buy a CTS-V to keep it stock. 550hp is not nearly enough. However, look at the IS-F, your mod market is much smaller, so the owners tend to be happy with what they have. Sadly, hearing that your mods are so limited is what has pushed me away from the IS-F for a second time. I'm looking into ordering a 2015 ZL1, and then sending it off to Ligenfelter for their 650hp package.

While we can all agree that the GM standard isn't the same as the Lexus standard, it all comes down to "what about the car is the most important to you"?

To me, it was horsepower.
Old 11-06-14, 11:29 AM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

When I was looking for a new car. The v and SRT were at the top of my list. I couldn't find a v in my price range and was looking for a specific SRT but couldn't find one. Good thing I didn't dig deep to get the v with the problems they have. Glad I got the f
Old 11-06-14, 11:41 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lmood
When I was looking for a new car. The v and SRT were at the top of my list. I couldn't find a v in my price range and was looking for a specific SRT but couldn't find one. Good thing I didn't dig deep to get the v with the problems they have. Glad I got the f
V is a single car (until the ATS-V comes out in 2015).....SRT is a trim level. You mean SRT8? Challenger? Charger? 300C?
Old 11-06-14, 12:13 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Couple things:

LOL even my 17-yr old DD doesn't have a leaky sunroof, nor have my seats ever rattled!

Yeah warranty fixes everything, but what's the point of spending over 70k and having to make multiple trips to the dealer when you should be enjoying the car instead? For the V you're paying upwards of $60k (brand new) and there are a ton of issues with the car. Yes it's a monster with mods but even bone stock it has the issues mentioned by Mrd916. Imagine what would happen when you start replacing parts for more power. Sorry but I'm spoiled with Lexus reliability. GM still disappoints me, especially hearing about the new C7 that was recently recalled and this 100+ page thread on their forums with over 200 issues reported. http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...ns-thread.html

And yes, it is all subjective. To an average American car lover and someone that craves power, these issues (in addition to more issues that arise after modding) are expected so they live with it. IMO a car worth that much shouldn't have so many issues.

The Charger/Challenger Hellcat.....now THOSE are steals. Will be interesting to see how reliable they are...

Last edited by VtotheJ; 11-06-14 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-06-14, 12:14 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never experienced the water pump problem in the 2 years I owned my 08 F, maybe I was lucky. The problems I listed with the V were just a few that were all over the V forum. There were many more threads of other problems that to me signaled a car with a poor build quality. Guess I'm just spoiled by the 4 years I have owned my F cars I never had or have a single issue. I did go thru the CPO Cadillac warranty and it's damn good, 6 years or 70k miles from the original sales date and it covers everything. If I did get a V a CPO is the only way I will go.
Old 11-06-14, 12:32 PM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

V is a single car (until the ATS-V comes out in 2015).....SRT is a trim level. You mean SRT8? Challenger? Charger? 300C?
Right...my statement still applies because i was looking for a particular srt. But i was lookibg for a Srt8 charger.
Old 11-06-14, 01:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I agree, all cars have problems. I mean, a leaky sunroof is something, but then again, the IS-F in 2008-2010 had terrible water pumps. Did that lean you away from Lexus?

It all depends what your'e looking for also. The domestic brands offer you cars with large mod performance scenes in which you can build a serious power plant. Most buyers don't buy a CTS-V to keep it stock. 550hp is not nearly enough. However, look at the IS-F, your mod market is much smaller, so the owners tend to be happy with what they have. Sadly, hearing that your mods are so limited is what has pushed me away from the IS-F for a second time. I'm looking into ordering a 2015 ZL1, and then sending it off to Ligenfelter for their 650hp package.

While we can all agree that the GM standard isn't the same as the Lexus standard, it all comes down to "what about the car is the most important to you"?

To me, it was horsepower.
right on brother. I got you. Many happy miles to you
Old 11-06-14, 06:46 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1

Well said!

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
LOL even my 17-yr old DD doesn't have a leaky sunroof, nor have my seats ever rattled!

Yeah warranty fixes everything, but what's the point of spending over 70k and having to make multiple trips to the dealer when you should be enjoying the car instead? For the V you're paying upwards of $60k (brand new) and there are a ton of issues with the car. Yes it's a monster with mods but even bone stock it has the issues mentioned by Mrd916. Imagine what would happen when you start replacing parts for more power. Sorry but I'm spoiled with Lexus reliability. GM still disappoints me, especially hearing about the new C7 that was recently recalled and this 100+ page thread on their forums with over 200 issues reported. http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...ns-thread.html

And yes, it is all subjective. To an average American car lover and someone that craves power, these issues (in addition to more issues that arise after modding) are expected so they live with it. IMO a car worth that much shouldn't have so many issues.

The Charger/Challenger Hellcat.....now THOSE are steals. Will be interesting to see how reliable they are...
Old 11-07-14, 03:36 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Not to go on a tangent but I was taking a hard look at the Challenger Hellcat because of how ridiculous it was. And then I saw the volume of a wide variety of issues that people are reporting for Challengers in general...yikes. Add to the fact that my friend's charger engine just blew up and Dodge playing hardball with him... just left a really bad taste in my mouth. I scratched it off my list. I guess it depends on your tolerance for resources spent on fixing issues vs, enjoying the car. It obviously doesn't deter people from buying range rovers. lol
Old 11-08-14, 10:01 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To be very honest I'm not a huge fan of domestic cars. I've been around Toyota, Lexus, Mercedes, and Porsche ever since I was born and you kind of get used to reliability these cars come with. Out of those MB has an okay reliability record, my dads been buying S Classes since '93 driving them over 100k within 3 years and trading, the only S Class he had a prob with was his '04 S55 AMG and those were whole bunch of electrical problems No mechanical problems. Neither my father or I have had problems with Toyota or Lexus, my old man hasn't had problem with any of his Turbo 911's either. I'm on my first Porsche and let's see what it is like once she arrives. I've driven both a F and Hennesy V. The Hennesy V is actully my cousins and he hasn't had one problem with I but he told me that isn't the case when he goes to the V meets. Like Primecut said stock it has better mid range and after the Hennesy upgrade it has better power throughout the band but cream is still inthe mid range. It's a great just no a fan of then interior. It's fantastic if your the guy who wants a mid size sedan space, power, mod capability, don't mind Made in America automobiles and don't mind the occasional issue. But, if you want reliability the F is the best sedan for you. Just my humble opinion.
Old 11-09-14, 12:41 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

What is really comes down to is simple. When you get in the car to go somewhere, does it start reliably, does it run reliably, and do you get where you wanted to go without issues?

I've owned any number of hot rod cars and bikes. The answer to this question is no, they didn't do this. Most of the time yes, but the times they didn't were the times I really needed them to deliver. So, I've really lost the whole "I want more power" and "I want to mod it to be faster" because of my experience.

The first thing I tell anyone who wants to mod their daily driver is, buy a good pair of walking shoes. You're going to need them, because your ride will not be a good daily when you start modding it. It will have issues, and those issues will keep it in the garage or at someone's shop (at the mercy of their schedule) until a fix is found and executed.

If you have a toy car, and your choice is to mod it because you like to do that kind of thing, buy the fastest thing you can afford, then mod it. Why? Because the fastest thing you can buy already has a whole lot of go faster stuff in it at a price you'll never match buying aftermarket anything.

I grew up with race cars. I saw the inside of a 426 Hemi when I was 10 years old in 1970 because my dad had sectioned a bad head so he could directly measure valve to piston clearance and set cam timing without a whole lot of monkey business. I knew what roller rockers were in 4th grade, and I'd held them in my hand. I even knew forged was better than cast. Why am I not a domestic fan? Because I want to get in my car, turn the key (or press the button) and go where I want to go. Not find out the fuel pump failed, or a fitting is leaking oil on a header, or the choke plate isn't pulling off, or a million other things I've had happen to modified vehicles.

I've also learned more isn't all it's cracked up to be. The '85 FJ1100 I owned and built did roll on wheelies at 100 mph after I finished with it. All mods done by me save balancing the crank. All this in 1990. Yes, it was quick and fast. Yes, it stranded me more than once for different reasons. Yes, it was my last venture into heavily modded vehicles. Start and take me where I want to go without issues. It couldn't deliver. It was the classic decision - cheap, fast, reliable - pick two.