IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Toyota EFI Tank Additive Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-14, 01:22 PM
Dupshaw123
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota EFI Tank Additive Review

So I just hit 40K miles and decided to run a EFI cleaner through my fuel tank. I have always used Top Tier 93 octane v-power or chevron 93. I went to my local toyota dealership and bought toyota EFI Tank Additive part# 00289-EFI00. It ran about 10 dollars a bottle. After my tank is out I am taking my car in for an oil service.

Procedure:
I added a bottle to half a tank of gas and topped off the tank to ensure an even mix… This is very concentrated potent stuff. and used as directed. drive the tank of gas out of the car. and make sure it is not in your system for over 7 days.

Initial Product impressions:
This product I noticed is a lot thicker and more concentrated than chevron techron (in my opinion techron is a good preventative but does not do a great job at cleaning up carbon build up). Also the smell is a lot stronger than techron.

Effects:
After the first 10 miles or so I did not notice much of a change in the car. Over about the next 20-40miles I noticed a large increase responsiveness. I also noticed a lot more carbon build up on my exhaust pipes on the bumper because of the EFI tank additive burning off all of that carbon. I noticed my car running a lot more smoothly. The injector noise at idle is a lot smoother as well as the rpm gain. I also noticed an increase in MPG. I have been trying to burn this tank out to get some fresh gas and oil in the car and it is taking a lot longer than I suspected hahaha. . I have about a half tank of fuel left and I am giving it the bean to throw all that carbon on the injectors out of the car. I can hear a difference in the smoothness maybe I am over hyping but I am really detail oriented (running sikky and joez so no cats)

Conclusion:
Overall I am very happy with this product I highly recommend it to everyone. This is very potent stuff but these engines can handle it its not like running seafoam or that other garbage. I am due for an oil change after this fuel is out and I will update you all when the oil, oil filters and fresh 93 v-power is in the car.

Happy Motoring

Daniel

Old 11-05-14, 01:39 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Are you sure that it's not a placebo effect, or that since you are trying to get rid of your tank, you're driving faster, hence believing that you have an increased response?

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
The following users liked this post:
MOB561 (08-20-20)
Old 11-05-14, 01:45 PM
Dupshaw123
Rookie

Originally Posted by joshhleee
Are you sure that it's not a placebo effect, or that since you are trying to get rid of your tank, you're driving faster, hence believing that you have an increased response?
It is running smoother, and the injector noise is a lot smoother. I am gunning it constantly trying to get it out of my car and its not guzzling as quick.

I think techron is a placebo effect to be honest. Toyota EFI Tank Additive is pretty concentrated, to the point where you don't want it sitting in your car for too long. Meaning I would not run this every 5k before an oil change like you do with techron. You probably want to run this stuff every 20K to 30k

Last edited by Dupshaw123; 11-05-14 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-05-14, 05:09 PM
Ianx12
Driver School Candidate

sorry to tell you buddy but no in the bottle efi cleaner of any kind is going to do any good for your injectors or valves, placebo effect hard facts take a valve that's caked in carbon leave it in a bottle of efi cleaner for a week and you will see no cleaning at all, the only product i have ever seen work in a very minimal amount is motor vac injector cleaner and it's forced fed into the fuel system with fuel pump turned off just a 2:1 mix of motor vac. used to be toyota did not recommend the use of fuel system additives now they sell them, shame on you toyota for selling the placebo effect, just change you oil on time and use high grade fuel,
Old 11-05-14, 05:27 PM
Dupshaw123
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ianx12
sorry to tell you buddy but no in the bottle efi cleaner of any kind is going to do any good for your injectors or valves, placebo effect hard facts take a valve that's caked in carbon leave it in a bottle of efi cleaner for a week and you will see no cleaning at all, the only product i have ever seen work in a very minimal amount is motor vac injector cleaner and it's forced fed into the fuel system with fuel pump turned off just a 2:1 mix of motor vac. used to be toyota did not recommend the use of fuel system additives now they sell them, shame on you toyota for selling the placebo effect, just change you oil on time and use high grade fuel,
Ianx12 have you done this test with taking a valve and placing it in the Toyota EFI Cleaner for a week? I am genuinely interested man. Why shame on toyota is 10 dollars really that much money lol?
Old 11-05-14, 05:45 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Most auto manufacturers don't recommended fuel system cleaners. I have been in manufactures training courses multiple time when this subject has come up. They really don't do much in the way of cleaning and if anything cause more harm then good in high mileage engines.
Using good fuel, good oil, proper maintenance and running an engine at WOT once an a while is your best bet for keeping your car healthy.
Old 11-05-14, 05:57 PM
Ianx12
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dupshaw123
Ianx12 have you done this test with taking a valve and placing it in the Toyota EFI Cleaner for a week? I am genuinely interested man. Why shame on toyota is 10 dollars really that much money lol?
no it's not and prevention is the cheapest and best repair, I've just done this dance to many times to care any more. if you need to clean your injectors and valves the only way is to have them pressure cleaned. do it once and it will last 30k miles or more. :-)
Old 11-05-14, 07:12 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by RCB
Most auto manufacturers don't recommended fuel system cleaners. I have been in manufactures training courses multiple time when this subject has come up. They really don't do much in the way of cleaning and if anything cause more harm then good in high mileage engines.
Using good fuel, good oil, proper maintenance and running an engine at WOT once an a while is your best bet for keeping your car healthy.
really wot? i never wot , thinking it was bad for the car.

Orange County, CA
Old 11-05-14, 07:41 PM
mk4umha
Pit Crew

I think driving the car is worse than WOT.
Old 11-06-14, 07:32 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You drive an ISF, are you being sarcastic?
Idling and driving at partial throttle all the time is not great for your engine. Getting everything moving at maximum pressure once and a while will help keep things clean and moving.
The biggest issue is the GDI system but at least the ISF has LP fuel injectors to help work against the carbon build up the GDI engines have issue with.
Old 11-06-14, 07:48 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by RCB
You drive an ISF, are you being sarcastic?
Idling and driving at partial throttle all the time is not great for your engine. Getting everything moving at maximum pressure once and a while will help keep things clean and moving.
The biggest issue is the GDI system but at least the ISF has LP fuel injectors to help work against the carbon build up the GDI engines have issue with.
no i was being serous, well now i know. how about twin turbo powered cars like the bmw n54 engines?

Orange County, CA
Old 11-06-14, 09:28 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

even at WOT you are not at WOT... meaning the throttle only ever opens up to designated percentage

Yes, even a turbo'd BMW can go WOT... the turbo might blow up due to lack of oil cooling, but hey thats just BMW design criteria.
Old 11-06-14, 09:56 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

have anyone noticed they're always a good review of gas additives. lol.
Old 11-06-14, 01:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have used them in the past and THEY DO WORK. I always getting smoother idle and a quieter engine at idle. No hype at all. As far as responsiveness it could make a difference but some people are simply more sensitive than others
Old 11-07-14, 06:11 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

Anyone try SeaFoam? -

Toyota EFI Tank Additive Review-sea_foam_150w_2014.jpg

Quick Reply: Toyota EFI Tank Additive Review