IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Heater not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-14, 05:09 PM
nite
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater not working

Starting to get chilly down south so I started up my heater on my 08' isf only to find out that there is no heat coming out. Put the temp all the way on high but nothing but cold air. I checked the coolant level but it is normal. I don't hear any noises when the heater is on.

I do remember sometime this summer that I noticed some white smoke coming out of the vents for about 5 seconds and then went away. Not sure if that was related either but since I only used the AC and it worked fine until now I didn't think much of it.

Any help would be appreciated on what I can look for or inspect to get me warm again for these cold months =\

Oh and my buddy loaded up some diag screen on the lcd and we noticed a bunch of codes firing, not sure if this has anything to do with it but attached it nonetheless.
Attached Thumbnails Heater not working-isf-codes.jpg  
Old 11-05-14, 08:10 AM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

This is also happening on my car. My coolant level is on the low mark so I will be refilling that this weekend. I am now wondering if coolant evaporates or if the only way it falls low is due to a leak. I had my water pump replaced about 2 years ago I believe. I would doubt it would be leaking again.
Old 11-05-14, 08:24 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Check to see if your head is damaged. Smoke thought he vents was a clear sign for me when the dealer decided to overheat my previous ISF.
Old 11-05-14, 08:34 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

After adding coolant run the car to warm up. Make sure the heat is on full. That will insure that coolant is filling the heater core.
Old 11-05-14, 10:49 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Check to see if your head is damaged. Smoke thought he vents was a clear sign for me when the dealer decided to overheat my previous ISF.
Wow...how did the dealer manage to overheat your car? Ran it with no coolant in it?
Old 11-05-14, 11:39 AM
Rickna
Racer

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Wow...how did the dealer manage to overheat your car? Ran it with no coolant in it?
Yeah, that's outrageous. They should be held legally & financially responsible.
Old 11-05-14, 12:10 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Yup, brought it in because the heater core was leaking. So they decided to let it sit and idle for 20 minutes until the car overheated and warped the head. Really was the valets fault but was taken care of without an issue.
Old 11-05-14, 05:25 PM
mkp81
Driver School Candidate

I posted on this same subject a few days ago. Though mine will eventually warm up, it will turn back to cool air just sitting still. My coolant level IS low, no sign of pink coolant anywhere around the pump so hoping just from evaporation. I'll top that off this weekend, (not driving it right now), and update ya. I'm confident mines not a MAJOR issue because it will heat up at times and burn you outta there. It's just not working properly when I ask for it lol.
Old 11-07-14, 07:54 AM
MGordo
Driver

If anyone has recently had their water pump replaced recently, its likely an air bubble in the coolant lines, had that happen to me a few weeks back.
Old 11-07-14, 12:40 PM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Do our cars use a specific kind of coolant or is it something I can pick up at a local toyota dealer?
Old 11-07-14, 03:34 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by OneSiCkF
Do our cars use a specific kind of coolant or is it something I can pick up at a local toyota dealer?
Toyota SLLC. Premixed, just pour it in.
Old 11-07-14, 05:42 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts
Default opposite

Theres a lotnheat coming from my vent, although the a/c and heater are working fine. When i drive thr heater and a/c off, still hot air coming out from the vent!
Old 11-07-14, 10:51 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

super weird, my 08 does this sometimes, it's very random. thanks for the tip on checking the coolant level.
Old 11-10-14, 07:37 AM
ttbasterd
Driver School Candidate

Same problem here. Works like a champ, sit at a red light, blows freezing air. My coolant is low. Im pretty sure i have a leak.

anyone knows if the dealer will cover the water pump since my car is "certified" still?
Old 11-10-14, 11:15 AM
Rickna
Racer

Originally Posted by ttbasterd
Same problem here. Works like a champ, sit at a red light, blows freezing air. My coolant is low. Im pretty sure i have a leak.

anyone knows if the dealer will cover the water pump since my car is "certified" still?
I would say that depends on the mileage & age.

Quick Reply: Heater not working