IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

3.266 diff crown and pinion - fit ISF diff or not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-14, 04:31 AM
Sci
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you have to bear in mind that the IS350 diff represents about a 40% change in ratio from stock, so its probably not surprising that such a big change had some adverse effects.

Whereas the 3.266 is about an 11% change, and the 3.133 is about 7%. I dont think there will be any adverse effects from these changes or at least if there are they will be a lot less noticeable, but until someone tries it we wont ever know....

Last edited by Sci; 11-02-14 at 04:37 AM.
Old 11-02-14, 08:58 AM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sci
I think you have to bear in mind that the IS350 diff represents about a 40% change in ratio from stock, so its probably not surprising that such a big change had some adverse effects.

Whereas the 3.266 is about an 11% change, and the 3.133 is about 7%. I dont think there will be any adverse effects from these changes or at least if there are they will be a lot less noticeable, but until someone tries it we wont ever know....
This maybe something not measured in percentage terms but rather like a light switch that's either on or off. Either you have the correct ratio or you don't. But as you said, we won't know until someone tries it. I for one regardless of the outcome will be keeping the stock ratio.
Old 11-02-14, 12:45 PM
v8sten
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Compthis
This maybe something not measured in percentage terms but rather like a light switch that's either on or off. Either you have the correct ratio or you don't. But as you said, we won't know until someone tries it. I for one regardless of the outcome will be keeping the stock ratio.
This may be a stupid question, but did you reset your computer when you did the swap? I would figure with such a big change I could see the computer freaking out.
Old 11-02-14, 01:09 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by v8sten
This may be a stupid question, but did you reset your computer when you did the swap? I would figure with such a big change I could see the computer freaking out.
I did not reset the computer and I can't see how this would solve this issue. Keep in mind I'm totally ignorant to the technical side of how things should operate. I have just my opinion.
Old 11-02-14, 08:52 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

To the guys willing to try, go for it. Just be aware Toyota does a lot of unusual stuff in their ECM. If you read about the details of the IS-F Bob Norwood built with turbo charging, one of the most difficult issues he faced was a table limiting acceptable engine acceleration. More than likely Compthis ran into a mismatch between expected parameters and measured parameters. With as big a change as the 350 gears are, it's not surprising. With smaller changes, it might be OK. Then again, it might be all pissed off too.

There are any number of rear end gearsets which might work fine in the F. I went through the part number exercise a couple of years ago too, there's a thread with the info in it somewhere here. Seriously, if it works, it could be the ticket to get the car into the 11's.

This thread - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...s350-diff.html

At the end, Crazymikie was going to put in the 3.266, but he never posted if it worked or not.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 11-02-14 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-04-14, 07:19 PM
Sci
Driver School Candidate

Well ive gone ahead and ordered the 3.266 kit

It will probably be a couple of months before i get it fitted but i will report back when its done!
Old 11-05-14, 06:13 AM
v8sten
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sci
Well ive gone ahead and ordered the 3.266 kit

It will probably be a couple of months before i get it fitted but i will report back when its done!

Old 11-07-14, 08:17 PM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Man I need some input on the 3.26 set! I got mikelucci's os giken setup is350 carrier but I don't think I want that high of a gearset since I daily my car and have a new driveshaft inroute so it will help acceleration drastically as is..
Old 11-08-14, 09:26 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Justind27
Man I need some input on the 3.26 set! I got mikelucci's os giken setup is350 carrier but I don't think I want that high of a gearset since I daily my car and have a new driveshaft inroute so it will help acceleration drastically as is..
Not exactly. It will help most at low speed. As driveshaft speed increases the difference will get smaller and smaller - same as a light flywheel. It is most noticeable in low gears, and less impactful as load increases. The gearset will remain an improvement to acceleration regardless of speed in a way mass reduction (while good) can't match.
Old 11-26-14, 06:11 PM
Sci
Driver School Candidate

So this arrived today

Old 11-27-14, 04:37 AM
Jowett
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Excellent. Have you considered finding out if one of the speedometer correction units will work with the car? Changing the ratio to 3.26 gears effectively is like installing a tire roughly 23" in OD. Stock is in the 26" range, I believe.
Old 11-27-14, 05:31 AM
Sci
Driver School Candidate

Ive deliberately not looked into the issue of speedo correction because there seems to be some thought here that at least one speed measurement comes off the hub sensor(s) of the wheel(s) and thus is unaffected by the diff ratio.

Whether that is correct or not i dont know but certainly all the Toyota/Lexus ive known about have had speed sensors on the transmission.

I think i'll get the diff done and make sure im happy with the change, then worry about other things later
Old 11-27-14, 12:53 PM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

^correct, the speed sensors are on front hubs. Dude Im stoked to hear your results on this r&p set, hurry up before I get too anxious an install my giken!
Old 11-29-14, 09:17 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Justind27
^correct, the speed sensors are on front hubs. Dude Im stoked to hear your results on this r&p set, hurry up before I get too anxious an install my giken!
No they are not. Put your car on four jackstands and spin the back wheels. The speedo works just fine like this. AMHIK. Gear ratio won't impact speed indication, but it is not because the front wheels are measuring speed.
Old 11-29-14, 10:55 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Lobux is right^
Spin on snow/ice: rear wheels spinning hard; car and front wheels not moving much--speedo showing high speeds.
Conclusion: sensor is on rear wheels.

Quick Reply: 3.266 diff crown and pinion - fit ISF diff or not?