IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

If you had $1,500 to spend on your IS-F...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-14, 10:59 AM
mkp81
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you had $1,500 to spend on your IS-F...

First off, new owner here. Bought my smokey grey 08 about 2 months ago from a Toyo dealer in town. California car that ended up in TN, traded in here in Huntsville. 33k miles when purchased, but I've already put 5k miles on her including a road trip to Richmond and back this past weekend. Aside from a sore back, it made the trip a lot of fun. I love this car, always wanted one and couldn't be happier.

ANYWHO, first real mod was an Injen intake. Also plastidipped emblems, grille surround, and added yellow film on fogs. (tinted windows within 2 hours of purchasing as well lol). I've got a little extra cash ready to throw at her now. Really leaning toward a Borla cat-back system and possibly a set of Tein H springs. Tires are pretty fair, if I can quit turning off traction control they'll hopefully last till Spring... but tires and wheels are definitely on the BIG mod list later.
Just wondering what else you guys would recommend with $1500-ish to spend on some early mods.
Thanks a bunch, love the site. Very helpful so far.

Hope the pic isn't too large. Car was filthy but this was after about 1200 miles of interstate cruising to RVA and back. Had to detour through Bristol for a picture lol.

Old 10-30-14, 11:04 AM
Kojak77
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 2011 ISF in June, since then I've done the following...

HPS intake tube
AFE dry panel filter
Swift Springs
Borla Cat-back

That's pretty close to $1500, and I'm happy with everything so far.
Old 10-30-14, 11:11 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Nice! Same colour as mine.

I'd probably stick with the exhaust option if you want a mix of extra HP, and unleashing that lovely V8 sound.

You're also in the right ballpark cash wise to do a set of BC racing coilovers with swift springs?

Body wise you could go with a nice carbon rear diffuser, and the lowering springs?

Bit low for new alloys IMHO. The stock BBS ones are better than most cheaper aftermarket alloys anyway.

Some would suggest spacers to push the alloys out nicely in the arches, but I'm not convinced.

I'd go for the exhaust, and save the rest for the next mod!

Let us know what you decide.
Old 10-30-14, 11:18 AM
mkp81
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reassurance. I haven't given much thought to spacers but I have noticed a lot on here running them. I really like the sound of the Injen intake, that was a debate for the first few weeks of ownership ha. The borla probably won't be as loud as I want, but down the road I'm hoping for some headers as well.

I'll keep ya posted!
Old 10-30-14, 11:40 AM
H60Driver
Driver

Just me but this is what I would do
-Swift springs - looks way better
-Figs lower control arm bushings - will save your tires
-15mm wheel spacers - make the stock BBS look really good
-Borla exhaust - more power
-Sikky 02 sim - then punch out your primary cats- way more power.

That is all!!!
Old 10-30-14, 11:42 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Intakes are a strange one for me. I was also captivated by the sound of the Takeda intake. Was my first mod even before I owned the car! Lol.

Trouble is it robbed me of 10HP, reduced my fuel efficiency by 3-4 MPG, made the car sluggish in the mid-range, and wasn't cheap!

I've since gone back to a setup closer to stock.

Headers are almost in your price range, but installation would be expensive due to the work involved.
Old 10-30-14, 11:46 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

$1,500 worth of gas
Old 10-30-14, 11:49 AM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Get a toms rear diffuser, and either carbon fiber side splitters or the aeroworkz CF front splitters. You can have any of the two and reach your $1500 budget. Or, get a Joe Z exhaust. Nothing better then the car sounding and looking as aggressive as it performs
Old 10-30-14, 11:56 AM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Smokey grey here myself! Had mine for a week now, had a takeda intake on it already. I just installed weather tech window visors all around, pts exhaust (used off local surplusing), stoptech pads/lines all around to go with it. Waiting on my slotted rotors to arrive (http://www.cquence.net/lexus-is-f-2008-performance-series-dimpled-slotted-brake-rotors.html)
-I'd say go for exhaust!
Old 10-30-14, 12:03 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

JoeZ exhaust
Old 10-30-14, 12:07 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Wheels and tires... We have some beautiful set up's that we can get you on for you ...
Check out the Vossen, Ground Force..
Pm me for best pricing...
Thank you..
Old 10-30-14, 12:10 PM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

^^^^^^Not from them, especially if you end up with a curbed wheel and need a replacement after already buying two sets of wheels and a set of tires from them, expect to pay $100 more then you originally paid (not including shipping) for one replacement wheel the second time around ^^^^^^

Last edited by RedlineAZ; 10-30-14 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-30-14, 12:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineAZ
^^^^^^Not from them, especially if you end up with a curbed wheel and need a replacement after already buying two sets of wheels and a set of tires from them, expect to pay $100 more then you originally paid (not including shipping) for one replacement wheel the second time around ^^^^^^

How the hell would they raise the price $100 per wheel after you just dropped major money on 2 sets of wheels and a set of tires. Dude, take your business to discount tire !!! They would be bending over backwards and breaking their backs to make a customer happy who dropped that kind of coin on a huge order
Old 10-30-14, 12:42 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OS Giken LSD, Joe-Z exhaust, PPE headers, or new tires. Research those h-tech springs... Crap! I personally would avoid springs altogether.
Old 10-30-14, 12:45 PM
mkp81
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RedlineAZ
Get a toms rear diffuser, and either carbon fiber side splitters or the aeroworkz CF front splitters. You can have any of the two and reach your $1500 budget. Or, get a Joe Z exhaust. Nothing better then the car sounding and looking as aggressive as it performs
Thumbs up on the Toms rear. That's on my list. I thought the Joe Z exhaust was upwards of $2k? Where's the best place to order from? Really like the sound from JoeZ!!
I honestly noticed an increase in MPG with the Injen. Before install I averaged 25.1 on the interstate running 75-80. This trip to Virginia I was upwards of the 26 mark most of the way with cruise on 80mph. Didn't expect much of a power gain, mainly wanted sound.

So Swift > Tein, eh? Coilovers wil have to wait, mainly just wanting to eliminate some of the gap right now and make sure folks know its a V8 around town

Quick Reply: If you had $1,500 to spend on your IS-F...