IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-14, 11:29 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

And this car makes power totally different than the LSx motors...there is no low end torque..all the power comes in at the top end, so you really need to drive the car hard in order to make it fast. I would suggest you go test drive on and see what you think.
Old 10-29-14, 11:54 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
My 04 GTO was crashed...

My 06 GTO......I had three cars (GTO, Scion TC, 4Runner) and a motorcycle (Honda CBR).
With two small kids, cleaning and maintaning all the cars got to be a pain. I am very **** about my cars.

My 06 GTO just sat in the garage and I didn't drive it much (had like 13k miles on it) it had all boltons, etc...was like 380RWHP or so. It had full pedders suspension too. On nice days I was torn between the GTO and my motorcycle. A marine on the GTO forums had just gotten back from a long deployment and always wanted one. I felt grateful he served our country and felt he would treat it with respect and enjoy the car more than I did.....couple months later he wrapped it around a tree.

We sold the Scion TC to my father in law, after the Lexus ES300 I gave him took a dump on him.

I decided I was going to buy one sedan and drive it year round...was looking at G8's, M3's, CTS-V's, etc.....Lexus IS-F came up because I have family who works at a Lexus dealership and I could get parts for wholesale cost if ever needed.

The IS-F is faster stock than an long tube/tune LS2 GTO, but if you decide to tinker with the IS-F you are at a dead end. You could pay off your Camaro and have something to tinker with a long time.

If you are thinking that you will sell your Camaro for an IS-F because it is faster or handles better, it is nothing you can't upgrade on the Camaro.

I enjoy driving the **** out of my IS-F and not having to modify it and expecting something to break.

**also there is NO TUNING OPTION for Lexus/Toyota cars...there will be no strapping it down and messing with your timing and A/F ratio under WOT...that there is a big reason to keep your camaro if you are into modding
Wow, perhaps we should be friends, we seem to have similar past times and experiences. My wife also, had a Scion tC. Was actually to be my beater car (so I could dump the terrible mazda I have as my current DD) until I bought a 2016 SVT Raptor. However, 2 weeks ago, a guy decided to make a left turn right into her, totalling the car. We just picked up a 2015 IS350 F-sport AWD for her last week. Damn shame too, I loved that tC. For the price, those are great little cars.

I agree with you on the analness, i have put 2,000 miles on the camaro each of the last 2 summers because it simply won't stop raining in the Pittsburgh area. I got stuck in a bad storm a couple weeks ago, which lead to a 12 hour wash and frame cleaning. Not my favorite use of a weekend. The car is a 2012 with 9100 miles on it lol

I don't think so much about the year round driving, I've always had a DD for the winters, mainly because Pittsburgh can turn any car into a rust bucket in a matter of 6-7 yrs worth the salt.

To answer this and your other post, I agree that the LSx will always have more low end torque, just the nature of the beast. However, there is also something to enjoy with a japanese V6/V8, in which you need to wind that motor up to finally hit the power band. Both motors have their advantages. I just debate, the long term cost of keeping the camaro going (especially after the cam install, the concern of parts breaking down the road, and I would still have to plan on retrofitting a mylink screen into the car since they weren't available until 2013), I just wonder if I would be MORE content with going with an IS-F. Further more, the build quality of the Lexus is higher, the long term reliability is higher even OEM to OEM. I just feel the Lexus offering (1 to 1 for how the cars are right now), offers me more that would take even MORE money for me to make the camaro be simliar. Do you know what i mean? Finally, I'm a JDM fan at heart, all I've ever owned was Toyotas/Hondas/Mazda, so the camaro was a 1 off for me, and I kind of miss the relablity and styling. However, at the same time...I do certainly love to tinker with performance.

Though, I won't lie...and I think you'll agree....there is something so magical about the sound of a LSx engine right around 5000RPM that just makes the soul sing lol
Old 10-29-14, 12:37 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Modability with the F is limited but you can easily hit 500hp with exhaust, headers, and 100+ shot of NOS. This would put you in the mid-11's qtr mile and 0-60 in low 4, high 3 secs. It stops there, but that's a lot of power for a 3800lb sedan.
Old 10-30-14, 04:21 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Modability with the F is limited but you can easily hit 500hp with exhaust, headers, and 100+ shot of NOS. This would put you in the mid-11's qtr mile and 0-60 in low 4, high 3 secs. It stops there, but that's a lot of power for a 3800lb sedan.
I don't have any interest in running nitrous (NOS is a company....). The price to set up a good wet spray system almost isn't worth it, and it is a very inconsistent method of fake hp. Even a good spray system can never provide the reliability of what a straight build can provide. Also, in going with a spray, it removes one of the items that makes the Lexus stand apart...its reliability.

I would hope that an IS-F with an intake, headers, and exhaust that the car would be pushing close to 480hp at the crank, but then again, if you can't reset the fuel tables and pull timing, so its hard to guess exactly what you're getting. I know my from own situation, I need close to 515rwhp for the camaro to consistently run in the mid 11s, probably trapping about 120mph.

And no one ever stops....500hp in sedan is never enough. I present to you the CTS-V? Or better, the Charger SRT Hellcat? lol

I am just concerned that as much as i love the IS-F, and I feel that it by far one of the classiest looking muscle-ish sedans out there, and a Japanese one to boot, I just worry that I shall become bored if there aren't enough performance mods to keep me interested. 500hp is just a beginning number in my mind.

No disrespect intended on your suggestion, I certainly appreciate it. But as you can tell, I am certainly stuck on the fence lol

Last edited by Swacer; 10-30-14 at 04:35 AM.
Old 10-30-14, 07:57 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
And no one ever stops....500hp in sedan is never enough. I present to you the CTS-V? Or better, the Charger SRT Hellcat? lol
Depends what you want out of your next car. If it's reliability, exclusivity, refinement, the F fits the bill. If you want to run 10's all day with minimal mods but give up the three factors I just mentioned, then the CTSV works. SRT refinement has improved greatly but not sure about reliabilty and MSRP is close to $70K. From the sound of it you would be better off with those 2 cars you mentioned above... modding them would just put you in another league.
Old 10-30-14, 09:40 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Depends what you want out of your next car. If it's reliability, exclusivity, refinement, the F fits the bill. If you want to run 10's all day with minimal mods but give up the three factors I just mentioned, then the CTSV works. SRT refinement has improved greatly but not sure about reliabilty and MSRP is close to $70K. From the sound of it you would be better off with those 2 cars you mentioned above... modding them would just put you in another league.
I guess that response gave off the wrong vibe. Honestly, I'm not a fan of the CTS-V, I think it still has too "old" of a vibe for a 27yr old guy. And as the Hellcat, I woudln't touch a dodge with a 10ft stick, unless I'm willing to spend a lot of time at a shop getting work done. I was only trying to give examples that show being over 500hp isn't that rare for a sedan. Thats all.

What do I want? I want a car I can mechanically tinker with consistently. I would like a car that allows me to constantly improve it performance wise or mechanically. Plus, it never hurts to build a hp number.

Keep in mind, I'm not talking about a cam install, but I would like to know if options exist to throw a supercharger or turbo on it in the future. But right off the bat, I'd like to do the H/E/I, and then want to do suspension work, and then start tinkering with the intake to gain more. I just want ot know, is it feasible to make a 600hp IS-F without having to "create" a setup (aka, there are products out there to make it happen)
Old 10-30-14, 12:02 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just want ot know, is it feasible to make a 600hp IS-F without having to "create" a setup (aka, there are products out there to make it happen)
unfortunately the answer is no
Old 10-30-14, 12:46 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

If you like to tinker and keep on modding....used 2011+ GTR's for $70-80k. And with a few mods, it will blast away pretty much 99% of the cars encountered on the street.

The ISF true power mods are just headers and exhaust, but have to live with possible CELs and gas smell from no cats.
Old 10-31-14, 05:19 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by streetx
unfortunately the answer is no
After the basic mods then, do you guys move onto the suspension then? I guess what I"m asking is, after the motor mods, where do you move next to continue making it a better performance car?

Originally Posted by itsmike177
If you like to tinker and keep on modding....used 2011+ GTR's for $70-80k. And with a few mods, it will blast away pretty much 99% of the cars encountered on the street.

The ISF true power mods are just headers and exhaust, but have to live with possible CELs and gas smell from no cats.
I have a GT-R in my 5-7yr plan, but its not going to replace a car, but rather become another one in the stable. I'm going to wait for the 2014s to come up for sale in a couple years and then pounce. I also need our next house because i'm currently out of garage spots haha.

Like I said before, after the engine mods, what does everyone move onto next then? Suspension? Drivetrain? What is the next "weak" component on the car that is just ASKING for an aftermarket replacment? lol And finally, I don't mind the exhaust smell. I have my car running overly rich in open loop, so you should stand in my garage with my 1-7/8" headers into 3.5" exhaust with high flows. I will make your eyes burn lol

Thank you guys.
Old 10-31-14, 08:25 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

After the basic mods then, do you guys move onto the suspension then? I guess what I"m asking is, after the motor mods, where do you move next to continue making it a better performance car?
Exhaust/Headers are the power adders
Intake - sounds great but do they actually make power on this car many say no and most just do some kind of drop in filter and call it a day.

Tunes - like i said before its still a bit away and is only in testing right now and who knows if the results will be good or not.

next steps for performance could be

weight reduction
lighter wheels
brakes (RB 2-piece brake rotors, better pads...)
suspension
Old 10-31-14, 09:37 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

If you like to mod and make meaningful adjustments to engine tune, there is no Toyota product you will like outside of the Scion FRS because it is a Subaru, not a Toyota.

There is no playing with the tune on any Toyota without going aftermarket ECM. Piggybacking a MAP3 on a suitable platform is about the best you can do.

If you want a tinkering platform, the IS-F is not it.