Mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-14, 10:33 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation Mods

Hello everyone,

I wanted to inquire about some of the mod ideas for this car.

I was wondering about the following mods, but haven't seen anyone list anything about them...

1. Line Loc - Is there an offering for the car? If not, what is everyone doing outside of power braking?

2. Ported Throttle Body - Is there an offering for this? I have one for my camaro, and along with the tune, found that it certainly increased throttle response. And along the same lines, what about a ported intake manifold?

3. Cutouts - Has anyone done this downstream of the header but before the secondary O2 sensors and ran it off a power switch inside the car?

4. Shift light - Has anyone installed a shift light (like a Raptor) that would run off the coil ignition wire? (It can run off of others, but thats how some work).

I tried using the search tool but came up empty on many of these. I am prepared to sell the camaro next spring, but I just want to make sure the mod world is wide enough for the IS-F to allow me to make the most of this car outside of the normal I/H/E.

I was able to find information on a strut tower brace, but I was lacking in regards to trailing arms, toe rods, and a tunnel brace. My friend only make suspension parts for american muscle cars, so I'm requesting your assistance on recommendations please

Thanks!

Last edited by Swacer; 10-28-14 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-28-14, 07:58 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Hello everyone,

I wanted to inquire about some of the mod ideas for this car.

I was wondering about the following mods, but haven't seen anyone list anything about them...

1. Line Loc - Is there an offering for the car? If not, what is everyone doing outside of power braking?

2. Ported Throttle Body - Is there an offering for this? I have one for my camaro, and along with the tune, found that it certainly increased throttle response. And along the same lines, what about a ported intake manifold?

3. Cutouts - Has anyone done this downstream of the header but before the secondary O2 sensors and ran it off a power switch inside the car?

4. Shift light - Has anyone installed a shift light (like a Raptor) that would run off the coil ignition wire? (It can run off of others, but thats how some work).

I tried using the search tool but came up empty on many of these. I am prepared to sell the camaro next spring, but I just want to make sure the mod world is wide enough for the IS-F to allow me to make the most of this car outside of the normal I/H/E.

I was able to find information on a strut tower brace, but I was lacking in regards to trailing arms, toe rods, and a tunnel brace. My friend only make suspension parts for american muscle cars, so I'm requesting your assistance on recommendations please

Thanks!
Unfortunately "modibiltiy" of the ISF is very limited and i think you would be disappointed mod wise coming from a camaro

line loc - I have not seen anyone with it and have never heard of anyone offering it for this car

Ported Throttle Body - I believe icode was the only company offering a larger throttle body but i dont think it made much of a difference. Up until recently only sard has been able to tune a USDM ISF and even now it is still in much of a testing phase

cutouts - i have not seen this so i assume it has not been done

Shift light - no clue

Figs makes a lot of suspension parts
http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...tegory&path=43
Old 10-28-14, 08:16 PM
v8sten
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a few ideas to address some of your questions, not all of them though. pm me and we can discuss.

I have started the long, argous, expensive journey on mine. here is the Figs Essential kit which includes rear control arms, rear toe links and poly front control arm bushings

Old 10-28-14, 08:35 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

v8sten, surprised to see that kit on stock suspension. was there a reason why you went with toe arms? ive always gotten my toe back to perfect specs being lowered up to all the way 3 inches front and 2 inch rear. i will be getting the control arms though..any added noise or vibrations from front bushing or rear control arms?
Old 10-28-14, 09:57 PM
v8sten
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
v8sten, surprised to see that kit on stock suspension. was there a reason why you went with toe arms? ive always gotten my toe back to perfect specs being lowered up to all the way 3 inches front and 2 inch rear. i will be getting the control arms though..any added noise or vibrations from front bushing or rear control arms?
Yes the car had horrible bump steer. I had it aligned and it didnt do a thing so I plan on really fixing this car up suspension wise and, why not.. this kit does away with the bump steer. no added noise and no added vibrations. actually less road noise due to the lack of bump steer i assume. the car feels much tighter now, less "squishy" in the rear.
Old 10-28-14, 10:29 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by v8sten
Yes the car had horrible bump steer. I had it aligned and it didnt do a thing so I plan on really fixing this car up suspension wise and, why not.. this kit does away with the bump steer. no added noise and no added vibrations. actually less road noise due to the lack of bump steer i assume. the car feels much tighter now, less "squishy" in the rear.
cant wait to get these then. . i have minor bump steer only when braking hitting a road bump. did it get rid of this as well?
Old 10-28-14, 10:36 PM
v8sten
Pole Position

I havent noticed any, last weekend i drove the **** out of it and it took every bit of what i threw at it, you will like them
Old 10-29-14, 04:07 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
You shouldn't be getting any noise from the control arms or bushings as long as they are a poly fit and are filled with grease properly.
Old 10-29-14, 04:24 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by streetx
Unfortunately "modibiltiy" of the ISF is very limited and i think you would be disappointed mod wise coming from a camaro
That is certainly a shame. I am currently at a cross roads and I'm trying to figure out my next step.

In late 2011, I passed up on ordering a 2012 IS-F in favor of a 2012 Camaro (just didn't have the bones at the time lol), and since then I have been modding the Camaro to make it the unique car I want it to be, while laying down some nice 0-60s.

I have the mods listed below, and I am right now at the following cross roads:

1. Do a cam, ported heads, 4.10 gears build, which will put me at approximately 515rwhp (600hp at the crank assuming 18% losses) with the Camaro. This would pretty much sign the death sentence to ever being able to sell the car. It would be with the family for as long as the Chevy doesn't become a rust bucket. The cam is also a supercharge cam, so I would be able to add a supercharger at any time (as long as I went forged internals at the same time). However, I have been recently reading about cam cores failing, in which it will destroy the short block at any time. While I have certainly investigated this issue, I can't lie, I get very uneasy thinking about looking at my wife and saying "welp.....time for a new motor."

2. Stop the mods on the Camaro, get the 2012/2013 IS-F I have always wanted, and should have gotten back in 2011. I have read that there were a lot of improvements in the 2012, so that is certainly encouraging. I have already picked out an I/E/H for the car (which can sound absolutely stunning), but I'm curious how much deeper the mod market goes in regards to performance. Sure, while putting a few LEDs on is certainly something I'd look into, I'm more in regards to, i want this beautiful, luxurious IS-F to light up an american muscle car and laugh as I do it. haha Additionally, I am a JDM supporter, all I've ever owned is Japanese cars (Honda/Toyota/even have a Mazda at the second as my DD), so I certainly miss the styling of the japanese car market. And obviously, the camaro can not hold a candle to Lexus build quality and reliablity.

3. OR, with the whispers of a 2016 IS-F (how much truth is there to these whispers?), do I sit on my hands, enjoy the camaro for the next couple years, and then grab the first 2016 allocation i see?

I'm quite the confused situation as you can tell lol

This is the Camaro as she currently sits....

Thank you guys!
Old 10-29-14, 05:35 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Keep your Camaro...this is coming from a 04 and 06 GTO owner...you will have more flexibility in modding it for your needs/wants.

The IS-F is a great car, but the aftermarket is limited. You buy it to really not do anything to it and enjoy it as it is.
Old 10-29-14, 06:11 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

RCF has 10% larger diameter throttle body than the ISF, it may potentially work, but no one knows for sure yet
Old 10-29-14, 06:48 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<<<@!1!@>>>

Trade in the camaro on the ISF... you won't regret it

The ISF handles better, has a far superior interior and exterior build quality and is a rare car... your camaro is a dime a dozen. No offence of course.

You don't need a line loc on the ISF, the front brembo's kill the brakes on the camaro and doing torque brake stands is NO issue at all... I know this because i've burnt through several sets of rubber

The throttle bodies and ported intake manifolds should become beneficial once the SARD/Novel tunes are released to the market... given your timeline of 2015, you *should be safe

I have Ecutouts...

Old 10-29-14, 07:29 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4everkidd
<<<@!1!@>>>

Trade in the camaro on the ISF... you won't regret it

The ISF handles better, has a far superior interior and exterior build quality and is a rare car... your camaro is a dime a dozen. No offence of course.

You don't need a line loc on the ISF, the front brembo's kill the brakes on the camaro and doing torque brake stands is NO issue at all... I know this because i've burnt through several sets of rubber

The throttle bodies and ported intake manifolds should become beneficial once the SARD/Novel tunes are released to the market... given your timeline of 2015, you *should be safe

I have Ecutouts...
I agree with you that the overall build quality is better. However, the dime a dozen thing...not sure I agree since mine was a 1 off order that i had to pull strings on to get. Either way, no butt hurt here, I know what you meant. I also agree that the handling is there, and also the acceleration based upon my understanding. Overall, the IS-F is a great car, no debating that. Thats why I'm asking for advice for this cross roads lol

As for the line loc, Camaros have brembos also. Keep in mind, I wasn't talking about brake "strength", I am simply looking for the "better on parts" method of doing a burnout. The line loc would help keep wear down on the rear brakes (which you are dragging on power braking), and helps keep your stability control from losing its mind.

As for the cutouts, your next to last video sounded great. Where is the cutout installed at?

Finally, on the throttle body and manifold, I agree with you, they get you more once a tune is involved.

Last edited by Swacer; 10-29-14 at 07:39 AM.
Old 10-29-14, 08:27 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Keep your Camaro...this is coming from a 04 and 06 GTO owner...you will have more flexibility in modding it for your needs/wants.

The IS-F is a great car, but the aftermarket is limited. You buy it to really not do anything to it and enjoy it as it is.
Well, you present an almost identical situation. What made you dump the GTO for the IS-F? Have you not modded much since?

And you know as well as I do....a stock car is about was fun as watching paint dry . There are always needs to increase power production and aesthetics.
Old 10-29-14, 11:24 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Well, you present an almost identical situation. What made you dump the GTO for the IS-F? Have you not modded much since?

And you know as well as I do....a stock car is about was fun as watching paint dry . There are always needs to increase power production and aesthetics.
My 04 GTO was crashed...

My 06 GTO......I had three cars (GTO, Scion TC, 4Runner) and a motorcycle (Honda CBR).
With two small kids, cleaning and maintaning all the cars got to be a pain. I am very **** about my cars.

My 06 GTO just sat in the garage and I didn't drive it much (had like 13k miles on it) it had all boltons, etc...was like 380RWHP or so. It had full pedders suspension too. On nice days I was torn between the GTO and my motorcycle. A marine on the GTO forums had just gotten back from a long deployment and always wanted one. I felt grateful he served our country and felt he would treat it with respect and enjoy the car more than I did.....couple months later he wrapped it around a tree.

We sold the Scion TC to my father in law, after the Lexus ES300 I gave him took a dump on him.

I decided I was going to buy one sedan and drive it year round...was looking at G8's, M3's, CTS-V's, etc.....Lexus IS-F came up because I have family who works at a Lexus dealership and I could get parts for wholesale cost if ever needed.

The IS-F is faster stock than an long tube/tune LS2 GTO, but if you decide to tinker with the IS-F you are at a dead end. You could pay off your Camaro and have something to tinker with a long time.

If you are thinking that you will sell your Camaro for an IS-F because it is faster or handles better, it is nothing you can't upgrade on the Camaro.

I enjoy driving the **** out of my IS-F and not having to modify it and expecting something to break.

**also there is NO TUNING OPTION for Lexus/Toyota cars...there will be no strapping it down and messing with your timing and A/F ratio under WOT...that there is a big reason to keep your camaro if you are into modding

Quick Reply: Mods