IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Buying Used IS-F - What Should Come With It?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-14, 12:05 PM
dvarapala
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buying Used IS-F - What Should Come With It?

If things go well, I'll be buying a 2012 IS-F this evening. What sorts of things should I expect to be included with the car? For example, how many (and what kind of) keys should the car come with? 2 regular key+fobs plus some sort of valet key, right? Owner's manual for the car is an obvious one; is there a separate manual for the nav system? What else should I expect to see (and complain about if it's missing)?

Thanks, looking forward to joining the club.
Old 10-21-14, 12:34 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess just everything a normal car would come with. Just check and see if right style rims are on. I know some people will sell or trade wheels for other years.

Make sure the spare and all the jack pieces are there along with the emergency aid kit should all be in the trunk.

Make sure you have the lug lock key too

Other than those things should be it

congrats and enjoy
Old 10-21-14, 12:37 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You should only receive 2 key fobs no valet key. Also owners manual is in glove box along with the nav shortcuts. Lug nuts with locks and they should give you the key to the locks. Also cargo net and carpet trunk mat and floor mats along with a first aid kit in the trunk. Check for the jack and the pouch which includes the breaker bar and tow hook and some tools. They should be next to the spare/donut wheel underneath the trunk mat.
Old 10-21-14, 12:58 PM
mcgivern
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually it comes with two (2) valet keys----they are metal keys and are a part of the key fob. They can be used to lock the glove box after you punch the button inside to disable the remote and the switch on the dash from being used to open the trunk. It also opens the doors and trunk if the battery for the key fob is dead.
Old 10-21-14, 01:16 PM
s4chico
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcgivern
Actually it comes with two (2) valet keys----they are metal keys and are a part of the key fob. They can be used to lock the glove box after you punch the button inside to disable the remote and the switch on the dash from being used to open the trunk. It also opens the doors and trunk if the battery for the key fob is dead.
I didn't know about this (haven't gone through the manual completely). Nice to know.
Old 10-21-14, 02:14 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

check that the rear tail lights are the IS-F lights, not switched out to the is250/350 ones. but if you really don't care...
Old 10-23-14, 08:28 PM
dvarapala
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info everyone! It looks like everything is here, except there is no sign of a first-aid kit. Also, while I did get 2 fobs, only one of them has the F logo on the back:

Is this normal, or is the 2nd fob a replacement? If it matters, the car is a 2012.
Old 10-23-14, 09:09 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Both key fobs should have the F logo. It's not a huge difference, especially considering one will be a backup anyway, but if you're particular, make it known to the seller that both should have the F logo on it.

One big thing that I helped an F owner get was the F floor mats. It was just a regular Lexus IS floormat, and sure enough, the seller was holding back. He caved in and gave my friend the F embossed floor mats in fear that we were walking away from the deal.

If you have any shots of the car before purchasing, we all here can determine if anything is missing.

Best of luck! Also not sure where in CA you're from, but if you need someone to help look over things, I'm sure myself or other IS F owners will be glad to help a fellow F owner out.
Old 10-23-14, 10:40 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by dvarapala
Thanks for the info everyone! It looks like everything is here, except there is no sign of a first-aid kit. Also, while I did get 2 fobs, only one of them has the F logo on the back:

Is this normal, or is the 2nd fob a replacement? If it matters, the car is a 2012.
Both should have the logo. Also the fobs should be in leather pouches with an embossed F . One of my pouches has worn out and I am using a more rugged one that I got from eBay.

Attached pict is US ISF pouch.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Buying Used IS-F - What Should Come With It?-p1130232.jpg  
Old 10-23-14, 10:52 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

As shown by the responses you've received, OP, there isn't much weariness associated with buying an ISF. We're telling you to check for floormats for god's sake!
The 2012 does not have documented water pump issues, and not many issues at all really.
If you haven't made a decision on the purchase already, check out the headlights for black paint bubbling. Check the touch-screen functionality of the headunit. Maybe try to talk them down on tire-wear, if any.
That's about it, if anything.
Old 10-24-14, 11:58 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't know about the American cars but here in Canada the car comes either base model or with Series II option. With the series two option you get among other things stuff like parking sensors, and Mark Levinson. One important item with series II option for me was a credit card key. It means I don't have to carry the big fobs, I can just keep the credit card sized fob in my wallet all the time. It actually has a valet key like the big fobs also.

I bought my 2012 car CPO and it did not come with the credit card key so I informed the dealer that all keys are to be included for CPO cars. The dealer got in touch with the previous owner and found the credit card key for me. You might want to check into that for your purchase.