IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Trying to pinpoint leak HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-14, 03:05 PM
Dupshaw123
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to pinpoint leak HELP!!

So I had my sikky headers installed about 3 weeks ago by JE import. Since then they have been a constant hassle by installing a faulty O2 simulator which made me have to get in the car yet again drive to them an hour an a half away.

After another week I got CEL for a second time. After they fixed the faulty O2 sim....

Recently I have noticed a very strong fuel smell while driving. I understand you might get a fuel smell while at a light and the windows are down but I am experience one at crusing speed. I have gotten my car lifted three times in the past week to tighten the flanges connecting to the joeZ as well as checked for leaks (none were found) and there still is this strong smell

I do not want to install high flow cats.

I was wondering if anyone has had this issue?
I should not be getting a strong smell while moving at 60mph I am starting to think I have a leak at my cylinder heads due to a faulty install by JE.

Please help

Last edited by Dupshaw123; 10-19-14 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-19-14, 04:36 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

hmm, yeah i dont smell anything going that fast, i only smell gas/fuel when I'm stopped a light or my cars parked in an underground garage or something. (ppe, joez)

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 10-19-14, 04:45 PM
Dupshaw123
Rookie

Originally Posted by joshhleee
hmm, yeah i dont smell anything going that fast, i only smell gas/fuel when I'm stopped a light or my cars parked in an underground garage or something. (ppe, joez)
Thanks josshlee!!

anyone else experience my issue. I want to get as many responses as possible. It would be a big help.
Old 10-19-14, 04:54 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

I dont smell the gas smell when Im cruising at 165 mph.... J/k.
I havent experienced your issue. Only at a stop.
Old 10-19-14, 05:16 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you use new header gaskets? If not then there might be a leak there.
Old 10-19-14, 05:49 PM
Dupshaw123
Rookie

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
Did you use new header gaskets? If not then there might be a leak there.
I let JE import install them. I left everything up to them. They are the professionals apparently. That is why I am at a loss....
Old 10-19-14, 06:16 PM
Dupshaw123
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dupshaw123
I let JE import install them. I left everything up to them. They are the professionals apparently. That is why I am at a loss....
Is a strong fuel smell in the trunk normal. I assume it is because the muffler tips don't actually connect to the exits
Old 10-19-14, 06:17 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dupshaw123
........my installer had me order all new gaskets with the headers so there wouldn't be any issues......even gave me the part numbers.....professionals...hmmm
Old 10-19-14, 06:42 PM
Dupshaw123
Rookie

Originally Posted by chrisp1
........my installer had me order all new gaskets with the headers so there wouldn't be any issues......even gave me the part numbers.....professionals...hmmm
The problem is I checked for leaks several times and tightened up the flanges. Which leads me to believe the leak might be even higher up near the header meeting the engine block. Yet again I have to waste another day at JE getting this sorted out.
Old 10-19-14, 06:47 PM
NotADood
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm a Lexus master tech. I've heard of this before. We had a customer with an IS-F come in with brand new headers, and a check engine light with an A/F (02) sensor code. Turns out that there was a tiny pinhole leak where the header manufacturer welded in the A/F sensor bung. The A/F sensor was sensitive enough to pick up on this, and threw a code. I would hope that is also the cause of your gas smell.
Old 10-19-14, 06:50 PM
Dupshaw123
Rookie

Originally Posted by NotADood
I'm a Lexus master tech. I've heard of this before. We had a customer with an IS-F come in with brand new headers, and a check engine light with an A/F (02) sensor code. Turns out that there was a tiny pinhole leak where the header manufacturer welded in the A/F sensor bung. The A/F sensor was sensitive enough to pick up on this, and threw a code. I would hope that is also the cause of your gas smell.
Thank you for the info. I will look into that. Do you know if the headers were made by SIKKY or PPE?
Old 10-19-14, 07:53 PM
prada_g
Rookie

I can also confirm what NotADood said....kinda/sorta off topic.

While my CEL was for a secondary O2, one of the high flow cats that was welded on my Borla had an extended O2 bung welded pretty ugly on it. Got the cats/bungs chopped off and voila, no more CEL.

Turns out one of the bungs had a teeny tiny pinhole-sized leak near the sensor, small enough to where I didn't notice any leaks or exhaust fume smells.
Old 10-19-14, 09:04 PM
Dupshaw123
Rookie

Originally Posted by prada_g
I can also confirm what NotADood said....kinda/sorta off topic.

While my CEL was for a secondary O2, one of the high flow cats that was welded on my Borla had an extended O2 bung welded pretty ugly on it. Got the cats/bungs chopped off and voila, no more CEL.

Turns out one of the bungs had a teeny tiny pinhole-sized leak near the sensor, small enough to where I didn't notice any leaks or exhaust fume smells.
Are the bungs on the sikky headers? NotaDood was saying that the pinsized holes are on the sikky welds